Spring Practice - Running Backs

I absolutely agree with you on lack of creativity in the run game. We ran probably less than 10 gap scheme plays with power or counter last year. I don't like it but cav has said on a few occasions the OL struggles with pulling and they don't do it much. Hope as our OL improves we see more power and counter. His 1st year we saw trap but that was to feature Jano.

I absolutely agree with you on lack of creativity in the run game. We ran probably less than 10 gap scheme plays with power or counter last year. I don't like it but cav has said on a few occasions the OL struggles with pulling and they don't do it much. Hope as our OL improves we see more power and counter. His 1st year we saw trap but that was to feature Jano.

Riley was just talking about having to 'protect' the line with scheme. That says a lot, and that's why I was saying I don't think it would even matter a whole lot if Ameer were still here - there's too much else holding back the running game.

• Fire 1

Riley was just talking about having to 'protect' the line with scheme. That says a lot, and that's why I was saying I don't think it would even matter a whole lot if Ameer were still here - there's too much else holding back the running game.

AA didn't run behind an OL that was much, if any better than what we have now. AA was special bc he could take care of a couple guys on his own. When we blew assignments with AA he would make them miss and then proceed down the field making our run game look better.

Ozigbo still seems unable to shake the doghouse.

Won't matter. When the coaches get into a 3rd or 4th and 1/2... you know who needs to get the carry.

I don't think it is the doghouse...I just think he is just an average back.

And still managed to get a lot of PT/starts last year somehow. Funny how that works? Tis' Nebraska's running game now. Sigh...

After the spring game, I am curious as to how everyone really ranks the RBs. We didn't see much of Bryant and I am not sure why unless either he got dinged up or perhaps he is already fairly well secured as the starter?

I have been inclined to pick Ozigbo as the starter until today. Not sure anything changed much except that I would say there are quite a few good backs to choose from at this point so it is not as easy now. Looks more like RB by committee at this point as Wilbon, Rose, Mazour and Bryant all showed they can catch the ball and make people miss

Perhaps Bryant would be the best all around guy but it is not easy to pick one now. I think it will be more based on which guy fits our new offensive scheme and orientation (catching screens, swings, etc and pass protection). We also need to attack up the middle but each guy has shown some ability there as well. I would say, based on the offensive play selection of the spring game, that ANY of the half dozen or so guys can get the job done. Not sure any have the take it to the house speed but all have the ability to pick up 15 or 20 on a regular basis and give a little shake and break along the way. No superstars but we've got a nice bunch of 2nd and 3rd string backs atleast. They are all better than last year.

I don't think Wyatt Mazour's extensive playing time was a stunt or a favor to the kid. Don't know if he breaks into the top three, but I do believe he'll be given the chance, and if history holds there will be dings and injuries aplenty.

I see more Andy Janovich than I do Danny Woodhead in Mazour's style.

I don't think Wyatt Mazour's extensive playing time was a stunt or a favor to the kid. Don't know if he breaks into the top three, but I do believe he'll be given the chance, and if history holds there will be dings and injuries aplenty.

I see more Andy Janovich than I do Danny Woodhead in Mazour's style.

Mazour has a little more wiggle to him than Janovich did, but the comparison is apt.

• Fire 1