DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

30 minutes ago, commando said:

at this point i am starting to think the republican coup of the american system is already over.  they don't even try to look not guilty anymore and totally ignore any inconvenient rules and regulations that they don't want to obey. 

And their sycophants just eat it all up. It's absolutely bonkers.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

well, for clarity, it is not against the law to lie (to the FBI or anyone) unless it is in the narrow confines of involving Federal Government matters while being questioned by a Federal agent...according to 18 U.S.C.1001(1)

Well that's literally what he did, so I'm not sure why we need to be so pedantic here. 

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4747595180ad65a793e2

Those aren't the only 2 options. I don't have much faith but if the Democrats were to win the House, Senate, and Presidency, their #1 goal should be to shore up our checks and balances and prevent this from ever happening again. Then focus on election integrity, gerrymandering, foreign influence, access to voting, etc. Hopefully after all of that they'll have time to increase taxes and work on universal health care. And of course undo all of the s#!tty anti-environment s#!t and whatever else I've tried to forget.

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, RedDenver said:

The idea that people will just vote for a candidate despite that candidate not aligning with that voter's political beliefs has always been a hollow argument.

Sometimes pragmatism must come before principle.  In the case of this election, we must be pragmatic and vote the horror we see in the WH out of office at all costs. Being 'principled' at a time like this is a death nail to freedom and democracy as we know it.  I cannot imagine 4 more years of trumpism - both in the WH and in Congress.  The inability/inflexibility to being pragmatic in times like this is a betrayal of one's long term 'principled' goals.  One cannot push forward on any progressive ideas at all if trump is re-elected.   Do I think Biden is a great candidate now - no.  But if that is all the Dems put forward, he is the 'life boat' we will have to use to get away from the stinking, sinking ship of a Trump WH. 

Let me add this: If the allegations can be proven true, then the Dems should drop Biden in a heartbeat.  At this point I'm not sure how anything will be proven- he said, she said is where we are at.  Lie detector test - I doubt that will occur. Biden taking one won't happen.   

For justice sake, I hope the truth can be settled - one way or another.  Some questions

Will the Biden crowd accept the truth if it reveals Biden's innocence? 

Will the Dems select someone else if the truth leads to a different conclusion? 

Are those who are pushing Tara's narrative more interested in justice for her than in defeating Biden? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, ZRod said:

Well that's literally what he did, so I'm not sure why we need to be so pedantic here. 

Flynn, and his attorneys, specifically said that he received no warning that he could not lie to the FBI without facing charges. If he was told to lie by someone (Trump/Pence/Rudy et al) he may have been unaware that simply lying might put him in jail...

I am not a pedant, I just assumed there were others, like me, who were not aware of the minutiae of 18USC1001(a) 

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

Flynn, and his attorneys, specifically said that he received no warning that he could not lie to the FBI without facing charges. If he was told to lie by someone (Trump/Pence/Rudy et al) he may have been unaware that simply lying might put him in jail...

I am not a pedant, I just assumed there were others, like me, who were not aware of the minutiae of 18USC1001(a) 

If someone has to tell a National Security Advisor to the President of the United States that it's a crime to lie to the FBI, we have bigger problems...

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

Not lying to the FBI is not minutiae. No offense, but I thought everyone knew that.

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

If someone has to tell a National Security Advisor to the President of the United States that it's a crime to lie to the FBI, we have bigger problems...

I mean...I feel bad when I lie to my parents...I would probably have a heart attack if I lied to the FBI.

But who knew you could just say "I didn't know it was against the law"

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

US District Judge Emmet Sullivan: “Were you not aware that lying to FBI investigators was a federal crime?”

Flynn: "I was aware."

Sullivan: "You are guilty of this offense?"

Flynn: "Yes, your honor."

Sullivan: “Do you wish to challenge the circumstances on which you were interviewed by FBI?”

Flynn: "No, your honor. I was aware that lying to FBI was a crime."

Judge: "Do you believe that you were entrapped by FBI?"

Flynn: "No."

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not lying to the FBI is not minutiae. No offense, but I thought everyone knew that.

You can lie to an FBI agent all you want, and not face charges, unless/specifically they are asking about Federal Govt operations...

and no, I did not know that