The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Bernie has “made the cut” two election cycles in a row.  AOC and others are the new “left”. There is definitely a progressive movement within the DNC whether the establishment likes it or not.

Sanders supporters that refuse to vote Biden aren’t “sticking it to the man”, they are harming their most efficient vehicle of pushing progressive ideals AT THE MOMENT.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

Bernie has “made the cut” two election cycles in a row.  AOC and others are the new “left”. There is definitely a progressive movement within the DNC whether the establishment likes it or not.

Sanders supporters that refuse to vote Biden aren’t “sticking it to the man”, they are harming their most efficient vehicle of pushing progressive ideals AT THE MOMENT.

Yep. You can have 100% the guy you want or you can have 50% the guy you want or you can have 100% the guy you don't want.

Choose.

That's a pretty basic concept.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The mature thing to do is to choose the lesser evil. That isn't a third-party and it sure isn't Trump. It isn't not voting.

I'd call it more the pragmatic thing to do than the mature thing, but I agree. It's the right move to vote for Biden. That's what I'm doing.

It'll probably be right next time too.

And then, somewhere down the road of the future, I imagine we will all maturely insure our own destruction by maturely riding this inevitable momentum of this out of control snowball machine we're all powerless to dismantle or resist.

THIS is more the perspective of #NeverBiden voters or abstainers, I think. It's a nihilistic realization that there is nothing to be done in life but be held hostage by the system that serves the powerful, forever. It's people broken hearted and jaded enough to see the writing on the wall and just quit the game. 

We're not going to have a revolution. We're not going to meaningfully redistribute wealth. We're not going to reach a state of equitable

opportunity. We won't be able to make a dent in the calcified dominance heirarchy. So what the hell is the point?

Now you can call it wrong or pessimistic or immature or whatever, or paint it as simple-minded whiney brats not getting their way, but it's at least not an unreasonable perspective to have. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I'd call it more the pragmatic thing to do than the mature thing, but I agree. It's the right move to vote for Biden. That's what I'm doing.

It'll probably be right next time too.

And then, somewhere down the road of the future, I imagine we will all maturely insure our own destruction by maturely riding this inevitable momentum of this out of control snowball machine we're all powerless to dismantle or resist.

THIS is more the perspective of #NeverBiden voters or abstainers, I think. It's a nihilistic realization that there is nothing to be done in life but be held hostage by the system that serves the powerful, forever. It's people broken hearted and jaded enough to see the writing on the wall and just quit the game. 

We're not going to have a revolution. We're not going to meaningfully redistribute wealth. We're not going to reach a state of equitable

opportunity. We won't be able to make a dent in the calcified dominance heirarchy. So what the hell is the point?

Now you can call it wrong or pessimistic or immature or whatever, or paint it as simple-minded whiney brats not getting their way, but it's at least not an unreasonable perspective to have. 

In Dilbert they called it a Numbing.

kqAAuAM.jpg

To an extent we all go through this at some point. Maybe several some points. And then we fight against it, and then we get numb again.

I think the trick is to be OK enough with voting for Hillary or Biden even though you really, really don't want to that you keep perspective that the fight is worth fighting. 

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

I know I've been arguing against this point frequently in here lately (hey, I enjoy the sport of sparring ideas more than I actually HOLD them), but the progressive left is going to get Trump re-elected. It's becoming painstakingly obvious. 

The primaries aren't even finished and already finding a scapegoat if Biden loses.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

So what if Biden is actually a rapist? Still have to vote for him.

Um, no. 

32 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We're all worried about the world. The mature thing to do is to choose the lesser evil.

What if the lesser evil is Biden losing and four more years of Trump because of what comes after? The basic idea is that 4 years of ineffective Biden will result in a backlash that leads to a swing back to the right with Trump or worse, while 4 more years of Trump undermines the Dem establishment based on Hillary and Biden losing and leads to a swing farther to the left.

I don't agree with that, but it's a perspective I've heard from a few people thinking about not voting for Biden. But far more of the progressives I've talked to are more inline with @Landlord's post:

24 minutes ago, Landlord said:

1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

The evidence is not bearing that last bit out, so maybe we can actually stop calling the guy a rapist now? 

I was answering a theoretical question of whether I have to vote for Biden if he's a rapist. If I'm convinced Biden is a rapist, I'm almost certainly not voting for him. But the evidence is not strong enough IMO.

For both the NYT and Biden campaign: :facepalm:

First, Biden's campaign should NOT be trying to influence the reporting about a sexual assault allegation against Biden. Second, the NYT undermines the credibility of their reporting by making changes based on what a campaign is asking them to do.

20 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

For both the NYT and Biden campaign: :facepalm:

First, Biden's campaign should NOT be trying to influence the reporting about a sexual assault allegation against Biden. Second, the NYT undermines the credibility of their reporting by making changes based on what a campaign is asking them to do.

Ryan Grim, man you guys have posted more of his tweets then I'd care to see in my life time. Dude's brought up GOP talking points like Hunter Biden, and absolutely trashed/written a hit piece on every dem candidate not named Bernie Sanders. Hannity for the far left.

• Plus1 1