The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

48 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

EVERY SINGLE STATE during the primaries thought Medicare for all was the #1 issue to support and a majority of people mistakenly think Joe Biden supports M4A.  He doesn't.  If he wants to appeal to people, he needs to put some fire into his campaign and give people a reason to be energized about it.

sept-tracking-poll-chart-2.png

5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

sept-tracking-poll-chart-2.png

Joe Biden is winning, even though most Democrats support Medicare-for-all

And yet, a pattern has emerged in Democratic primaries. Biden keeps winning, but most Democrats embrace an idea closely associated with Sanders: Medicare-for-all.

Take Florida, where Biden soundly defeated Sanders, winning 62 percent of the vote to the senator’s 23 percent. It was Biden’s biggest win of the day, and one of his strongest showings in the primary so far, but even there, 55 percent of primary voters said they support “a government plan for all instead of private insurance,” as compared to the 33 percent who opposed such a shift. In Illinois and Arizona, Biden won smaller-but-still-commanding victories. Yet 61 percent of Illinois primary voters and 58 percent of Arizona primary voters prefer a government plan to the current system.

So what’s going on?

After this trend of many Biden voters seeming to support Sanders’s health proposal emerged in Super Tuesday exit polls early this month, my colleague Dylan Scott took a deep dive into what the polling data says about Democratic voters and health policy. Among other things, he found that most Democrats support expanding the government’s role in ensuring that all Americans have access to health care, but they don’t have particularly strong preferences between Biden and Sanders’s proposals for doing so.

Although his plan doesn’t go as far as Sanders’s, Biden also advocates for health care reform. Biden’s alternative to Medicare-for-all, a “public option” health care plan that would be available for free to many low-income Americans — and that many other Americans could buy into if they chose — is also very popular. According to a Kaiser Family Foundation poll, 62 percent of Democratic voters support both Sanders’s Medicare-for-all plan and Biden’s public option proposal.

Looks like voters either don't understand the differences between Biden's and Bernie's plans or don't care as they are equally popular.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Joe Biden is winning, even though most Democrats support Medicare-for-all

Looks like voters either don't understand the differences between Biden's and Bernie's plans or don't care as they are equally popular.

I honestly think the best plan is medicare for all with a private insurance option available. Don't many of these medicare for all success stories we point to in the western world, aren't they all two tiered systems anyways? Just seems like the best way to keep everyone happy (and insured). 

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

President Obama added more:

All politics aside:  the first 45 seconds of Obama's video was nothing special.  It was things that should obviously be said in a time like this.  However, Trump has not even tried to "sniff' this decency.

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

yeah, but who is doing it more and rigging it worse right now?

The party that controls the most statehouses right now.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, we ended up with a Republican in office that got there by being a crook, was impeached and left office shame.

I think it's pretty clear that it probably would have been better if either of the Democrats would have won that election.

Kind of reminds me of now.

I asked this in the other thread, but I'll ask it here too.  What goes through your mind when you see the President you support totally melt under pressure and go on a lie filled rant blaming everyone but himself for the failures of his administration when he is asked a simple and appropriate question that is asked professionally?

The same that goes through your mind when you watch a 'news' show that just a propaganda piece for your party.  Trump was elected because he called the media what they are, not in spite of it.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

The same that goes through your mind when you watch a 'news' show that just a propaganda piece for your party.  Trump was elected because he called the media what they are, not in spite of it.

Who is my party?

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Good analysis.  In 1968 I was 12 years old and I remember all of this like it was yesterday.  1968 was perhaps the most terrible year as a whole in the USA outside of the Civil War or WW2.. Who knows maybe this year will be marked in the same way.  Kennedy had really gathered steam towards the nomination and had captured the minds of so many.  And then the assassination occurred.   McGovern belatedly tried to pick up his mantle but it was too late.  So the Dems ended up wt HHH and a terribly fractured convention. 

HHH was the worse candidate at the time and Nixon barely beat him.  Kind of reminds us of Hillary being the worse possible candidate in 2016 against another person not worthy of the office. Trump barely gets in office via the electoral college.   Nixon of course was far more experienced and capable and accomplished in office than what Trump will ever hope to be.  But Nixon was undone by all of his insecurities that led to all of his ethical/legal/criminal activity which then led to his resignation.  Trump's insecurities are seen every day in action. In 1974 the GOP was willing to tell Nixon the truth, today's GOP won't/can't and therefore Trump remains in office when he should have been removed by impeachment.

In 1978 I did my major history project on HHH. He was a native South Dakotan like I.  On a personal level, I really admired the guy.  Just wasn't right for 1968 and he was stained too much by LBJ and Vietnam.

And JFK barely beat Nixon  and there was obvious election meddling in Daley's Chicago.  The Kennedys did far worse than Watergate, but they had the people to do it for them.  That's the advantage of being the establishment, you can do your dirty work and get multiple levels of deniability.  Outsiders have to take a more direct role.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

So gerrymandering is OK because it helps your team. Got it.

Trump was elected because he is a con man and enough people bought the lie.

18 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

And JFK barely beat Nixon  and there was obvious election meddling in Daley's Chicago.  The Kennedys did far worse than Watergate, but they had the people to do it for them.  That's the advantage of being the establishment, you can do your dirty work and get multiple levels of deniability.  Outsiders have to take a more direct role.

That Chicago machine - probably nothing like it in today's world.  Daley was 'rewarded' with the 1968 Dem convention. What a mess that turned out to be. 

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

In 1978 I did my major history project on HHH. He was a native South Dakotan like I.  On a personal level, I really admired the guy.  Just wasn't right for 1968 and he was stained too much by LBJ and Vietnam.

Didn't know he was a SD native. He was generally considered a son of Minnesota, as was Eugene McCarthy.  I believe Humphrey's widow lived in Lincoln for awhile. As an HHH scholar you probably know he came up as a progressive firebrand, to the left of Roosevelt and a devout civil rights advocate back when that was much trickier politically. That was all squandered when he had to carry Lyndon Johnson's water, and even free to run on his own in 68, 72, and while dying of cancer in 76, he was an establishment centrist associated with the stubborn support of the Vietnam war.

I've tried to explain 1968 to people who think this is the worst time ever in America. It's a horrible argument to win, and both arguments are probably right in their own way. The radical activists and middle class liberals had no trouble revolting against a Democrat president, because he'd earned their wrath. LBJ could never reconcile all the good he did with the Great Society, and all the evil he allowed in Vietnam. 

I dont think Biden realizes how easy it is to appeal to most progressives. We dont need every single Sanders policy Sanders supported. Lowering the age to 60 does nothing as Bernie supporters are younger age. Means tested student loans does nothing. It helps people like Danny who arent even Sanders supporters and doesnt help me at all because I went to a private school due to my degree not being offered by public schools. How bout just cancel 50% for everyone if you want to get involved with that policy instead of means tested crap? He can get tons of votes just by legalizing and taxing marijuana in all states through executive order on day 1. Legalizing marijuana is a no brainer in 2020 but thats not even on his platform. Its ridiculous. 

• Plus1 1