The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

What Joe Biden needs to do in the next few weeks is name his young, healthy, and exciting choice for VP, and then continue naming key cabinet members and advisors.  There will be someone for everyone, and collectively it will be so obvious how much better equipped these people are than Team Trump that you barely need to talk about Joe Biden at all. 

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

What Joe Biden needs to do in the next few weeks is name his young, healthy, and exciting choice for VP, and then continue naming key cabinet members and advisors.  There will be someone for everyone, and collectively it will be so obvious how much better equipped these people are than Team Trump that you barely need to talk about Joe Biden at all. 

That is a really smart idea.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good Lord...if I were a teenager in the late 60s, I would have thought the world was a horrible place.  I don't think there was any President that was elected that met perfectly with the teenagers dreams at the time.  There wasn't anyone who showed up at Woodstock and got the crowd all wound up and then was elected President and did everything they wanted.  But, you know what?  We are still here and there were a lot of good things that moved forward from the 60s.  The teenagers from that era didn't say..boo hooo...if my guy didn't win, I'm going home and quitting.

Good Lord...the President they did elect was assassinated.  Did they quit?

why???  That's basically what is being said.

His name was Eugene McCarthy and he lost.  But he became a badge of left wing cred for years to come.  Probably thrice as many people talked about volunteering for him then actually did.  I think Bernie will have the same legacy.

16 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

His name was Eugene McCarthy and he lost.  But he became a badge of left wing cred for years to come.  Probably thrice as many people talked about volunteering for him then actually did.  I think Bernie will have the same legacy.

And who did we ultimately end up with and how did that end up?

55 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Ryan Grim, man you guys have posted more of his tweets then I'd care to see in my life time. Dude's brought up GOP talking points like Hunter Biden, and absolutely trashed/written a hit piece on every dem candidate not named Bernie Sanders. Hannity for the far left.

Grim is basing it on the NYT's own reporting. :dunno

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I was answering a theoretical question of whether I have to vote for Biden if he's a rapist. If I'm convinced Biden is a rapist, I'm almost certainly not voting for him. But the evidence is not strong enough IMO.

Sure you don't have to. But we need to know the stakes. If Trump gets another 4 years, there's an overwhelming chance that he gets at least one more Supreme Court seat, maybe two. That means, essentially, for the rest of our lives, there won't be such a thing as fair elections. For the next several decades the SC will rule in favor of out of control Republican gerrymandering and voter suppression and there won't be a damn thing we can do about it directly, because those seats will stay no matter what, and there won't be a damn thing we can do about it indirectly, because Republicans will unfairly win more and more seats in Congress. 

The Supreme Court is the only reason I feel I absolutely must vote for Biden, and if he was a convicted rapist I would still absolutely vote for him as much as it disgusts me to say so. 

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Sure you don't have to. But we need to know the stakes. If Trump gets another 4 years, there's an overwhelming chance that he gets at least one more Supreme Court seat, maybe two. That means, essentially, for the rest of our lives, there won't be such a thing as fair elections. For the next several decades the SC will rule in favor of out of control Republican gerrymandering and voter suppression and there won't be a damn thing we can do about it directly, because those seats will stay no matter what, and there won't be a damn thing we can do about it indirectly, because Republicans will unfairly win more and more seats in Congress. 

The Supreme Court is the only reason I feel I absolutely must vote for Biden, and if he was a convicted rapist I would still absolutely vote for him as much as it disgusts me to say so. 

You make good points. Biden isn't a good candidate IMO, but man are Trump and the Repubs just so, so awful.

11 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I agree with everything you said.

What's more, the fact Biden has already been able to secure Bernie's enthusiastic endorsement (didn't appear to be any Sanders-Clinton

type animosity at all) and appears to be legitimately working with him on important issues via those 6 working task forces indicates that Biden appears to be, you know, pretty good at politics. 

So why wouldn't progressives want someone who's good at nuts & bolts politics if he's already espousing some of the things they want and the party itself can act to pull him leftward where they deem fit?

For some of them, like the groups @BlitzFirst mentioned making a point to announce they're not endorsing Biden, it's more about LARPing against the establishment and thinking anyone who is not Bernie is inherently bad. 

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

For some of them, like the groups @BlitzFirst mentioned making a point to announce they're not endorsing Biden, it's more about LARPing against the establishment and thinking anyone who is not Bernie is inherently bad.

Ridicule is another interesting way to try appealing to voters you might need in order to win.

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

LARPing is an excellent analogy. Because that's all it can be. Biden is 1/2 what Bernie was. Trump is negative 500 of what Bernie was.

Either you have the conviction of your beliefs or you don't. Either you truly mean you want more left-leaning policies or you don't.

Because if you do, you can't not vote, you can't vote independent. You have to vote Democrat, Biden, no matter what.

And all the continuing arguments are just so much hot air.

All the talk about Biden being a rapist (he isn't) and all the talk about Biden being ____ diagnosis (he isn't) is all just blather.

I'll be honest. I'm not voting for Joe Biden. I'm voting for ideas and ideals that are more progressive than what Trump will bring.

It's not a tough choice.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

YES. Bernie won't ever be president. But that doesn't mean the good ideas he's brought to the front of American political discourse must go away. I'm not a Bernie guy but I think a lot of his politics should be what America is about.  I'm willing to give him an ear, and I'm willing to give AOC and the rest of The Squad my time.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

For you, it's easy.

For others...they don't really give two s#!ts what you think or what your opinion is.  They will vote their conscience and they will be true to themselves.  They won't kowtow to betray their own integrity.  You might rationalize it out in any way you can to make yourself feel better...but honestly, as I've said previously...it's just your opinion and no one else has to have it, support it, think its true, or believe it.

You're voting for Biden whether you want to admit it or not...you're not voting for ideals that are more progressive than Trump will bring...you're voting for Biden.  You're voting for him if he turns out to be a rapist.  You're voting for him if he turns out to have dementia...neither of which, mind you, you have any business claiming are false because you're not in a position to do so any more than I'm in a position to claim they are true.

Bottom line is, you shouldn't be asking people to betray their integrity just because you think they need to in order to vote Trump out.  That's not on them...this is America...land of the FREE.  They can vote for whoever they want and shouldn't have you making them feel bad about being true to themselves and voting...hell write in Mickey Mouse if you want to...for someone they feel would do better than Biden or Trump.  That's how Democracy works and for anyone to suggest otherwise, is against it.

This is like performance art at this point. You've already said multiple times you're voting for Biden. What windmills are you tilting at with the rest of this?