What happens when Frost or Trev turns Nebraska down?

soup

Bigger question.........what happens when Riley wins the west and we end up in Indy after beating all of the teams in the west? Then all of this talk and getting worked up over things was for nothing! *god this alcoholic beverage is making me feel good!* *I don't seriously think this is going to happen*

I don't know if either of these individuals will be offered the job. I just hope we go through a legit nationwide search.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I am maybe one of the few that thinks he will turn down the job.  

Just a guess...but if they are using a firm wouldn't that firm give a list of like 3-5 coaches that WOULD take the job?

I think this is the likely answer.  If Frost is offered and turns up down, we probably won't ever know about it.  Search firms are pretty good at being discrete now-a-days.  The only thing that might slow things down is the fact that we don't currently have an AD.  covert inquiry with coaches takes time.

I am reasonably certain that 2014 was spent sending feelers to coaches and agents about their interest in the UNL job should Bo Pelini lose one too many. My understanding is that Brett Bielema was one of those guys. You don't hear about those rejections, which is the reason you extend private feelers instead of offers. 

I'd be very surprised if back channels weren't being used right now in the same way. Instead of Scott Frost directly turning down Nebraska's offer, he'd make a preemptive announcement that he intended to stay and honor his commitment to UCF.  If he is interested in the job, he'd probably let his preliminary terms be known before Nebraska crafted the offer.

2 hours ago, Football Guy Bob said:

Riley has to be fired first before we even start thinking about Frost.  There's still a lot of season to go.

Yes we still have a lot of .500 football to sit through.  At least he is a good guy.  We don't need to win a bunch of games to still have a good time, and heck in todays game, we shouldn't expect a National Championship at a place like Nebraska.  It is just too tough any more.  At least our coaching staff understands this even if these old fans who are stuck in the 90's can't.

I'm just glad we have a really nice guy as our coach.

17 minutes ago, lo country said:

If a former national championship QB who was a native son turns us down, we have bigger issues IMO....

Like others said, we might never know. Probably be like all the rumors about Bo putting in for "X".  

If he had better luck at Stanford, he may have never come back at all.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, jsneb83 said:

I'm pretty sure Riley was Eichorst's first choice, which is even worse

I still believe it was going to be Bret Bielma.  Then Arkansas caved and gave him what he wanted.  If Bielma actually took the offer......man my fandom would have taken a serious hit.  I truly cannot stand that human being.

• Plus1 3

If Frost is going to be approached it's unfortunate that the wheels of our program didn't fall off next year. With another year at UCF and if things go well for UCF then he wouldn't have any guilt about leaving the job not completed. Hopefully they have a great year and he can feel he left the program better off then when he started. This might seem too touchy feely but I wouldn't underestimate a Nebraska raised sense of responsibility or commitment. We are really messed up in that way.  Hopefully he didn't tell the AD something stupid like he would be there for 3 years when he took the job. Also it would give us another year to evaluate Frost but I think this year could give a good indication.

23 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

I just love posing a hypothetical question and letting it spin out of control from there.

I guess I'm not convinced that anybody has already decided these jobs are Trev's and Frost's to turn down.  But some people seem to think that is what Rimington on board for 60 days means.

That's what every topic on this board is about, isn't it?

It isn't the single instance of Rimington being hired, it is the path that is now being traveled down that is concerning to me.  The path ultimately leads in one direction, and if we happen to get the destination and find that it is nothing but a sewer, we'll have bigger issues to face.

I have also said, that IF a true search firm takes place and the best candidate is hired then I will eat crow.  If the best candidate that the University of Nebraska can find is Trev Alberts, then we are toast.

• Plus1 1