What happens when Frost or Trev turns Nebraska down?

soup

32 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

I might be out of touch but all I've seen that indicates we might be headed towards Trev or Frost are about a dozen message board posters that seem to want that. I'm pretty hopeful a proper search will be conducted. An improper search is what got us our last 3 coaches. Maybe these current guys are dumb and haven't learned anything...? 

I think listening to the first new presser when they let SE go, it seems to me that Greene and Bounds are going to be thorough and intense.  They said something about SE not using everything he had at his disposal, or something along that line.  I think that implied that they felt SE went on the cheap for Riley when he didn't have to.  But that is me.  I'd be highly disappointed if it does turn out to be Trev I think.  Still undecided on Frost.  Trying to put aside his Nebraska ties, he does have a great coaching pedigree and some degree of early success.  I'd cheer like crazy for him if he ever winds up as coach, but if we change coaches and it isn't him, I won't weep in any Wheaties either.

19 minutes ago, Redux said:

I think the anti-Bo tag line was used as reasoning that "Riley was the name on the one name list".  I didn't buy it then, I don't buy it now.  I came around to it for a while, but looking at it now him being the only guy Eichorst looked at makes no sense.  It makes WAY more sense that he offered Bielma but Arky caved last second so Eichorst made the call to Riley.

If that is the case that it never ceases to amaze me how much history repeats itself, didn't Pedey send a private jet to pick up Houston Nutt at Arkansas only for the jet to come back empty? That after firing a coach who had just finished one year with his retooled assistant coordinators, including a new DC? 

Also, this feels like the "Go get a Nebraska guy" part of the cycle where all the fans want a particular guy, the AD is fired and they go get that guy everybody wants. Pelini last cycle, Frost this cycle. 

4 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Bigger question.........what happens when Riley wins the west and we end up in Indy after beating all of the teams in the west? Then all of this talk and getting worked up over things was for nothing! *god this alcoholic beverage is making me feel good!* *I don't seriously think this is going to happen*

I don't know if either of these individuals will be offered the job. I just hope we go through a legit nationwide search.

IMG_4489.GIF

1 hour ago, RunMickeyRun02 said:

If that is the case that it never ceases to amaze me how much history repeats itself, didn't Pedey send a private jet to pick up Houston Nutt at Arkansas only for the jet to come back empty? That after firing a coach who had just finished one year with his retooled assistant coordinators, including a new DC? 

Also, this feels like the "Go get a Nebraska guy" part of the cycle where all the fans want a particular guy, the AD is fired and they go get that guy everybody wants. Pelini last cycle, Frost this cycle. 

Yeah, I get what you are saying BUT (huge but) if they do get Frost and his does well here he will be here for 25 years...he wouldn't leave for another job if he was winning the West every other year.  You know?

5 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Yes we still have a lot of .500 football to sit through.  At least he is a good guy.  We don't need to win a bunch of games to still have a good time, and heck in todays game, we shouldn't expect a National Championship at a place like Nebraska.  It is just too tough any more.  At least our coaching staff understands this even if these old fans who are stuck in the 90's can't.

I'm just glad we have a really nice guy as our coach.

I think you are using sarcasm but in case you are not: I'm glad you aren't the coach or AD. I'm an old fan who thinks once NU gets a quality coach and starts winning the West that better recruits will come. The sell will be easier. Then its on to challenging for a B10 title. NU offers a student athlete a lot. I see other schools make gradual improvements and see no reason why NU cant do the same. Just look at Clemson. They were an annual 6-5 to 8-4 type team until Dabo took over. He made them a 10 win contender for the NC. With the right guy and scheme, NU can do that too imo. FWIW: at the gator bowl, I heard Clemson fans saying they were hoping that Clemson would fire him. Bet they aren't singing that tune now.  Crossing fingers that NU gets a winner if MR cant cut it.  

4 hours ago, Redux said:

Nebraska Fan Coach Wishlist

1- Tom Osborne

2- Frank Solich

3- Scott Frost

4- Bo Pelini

5- Nick Saban

One of us is out of touch because I feel like there is no way #2 and #4 is what the majority of Husker fans want.

I'd guess the majority of Husker fan's hope our search involves a time-machine or some sort of reverse-aging serum and we end up with a 45-year old version of Tom Osborne.

If that's not possible, then it's as follows

2. Scott Forst

3. Urban Meyer

4. Nick Saban

5. Frankie

Les Miles makes an honorable mention. Jon Gruden also get's mentioned, but he too closely resembles Callahan (except without the punch-able face)...

So much speculation, we are all just throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks. Here's some more.

I think the AD hire will tell us where the coaching search is going. If it's Trev, NU has likely targeted Frost as the man. Meaning the money wants Frost as HC and needs an AD that will hire him.

If it's a national search that lands an outside AD, it will be a national search for the HC. You can't tell an established, respected AD who to hire w/o his input.

1 minute ago, alwayshusking said:

So much speculation, we are all just throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks. Here's some more.

I think the AD hire will tell us where the coaching search is going. If it's Trev, NU has likely targeted Frost as the man. Meaning the money wants Frost as HC and needs an AD that will hire him.

If it's national search that lands an outside AD, it will be a national search for the HC. You can't tell an established, respected AD who to hire.

I think the Interim AD hire allows for Dave Rimington to take care of the dirty job of firing our coach just before his interim period expires. Super-hero, Trev Alberts, can arrive just in time and with his first order of business, announce the hiring of Scott Frost.

Husker Nation can then rejoice as we're reminded the importance of Nebraska is maintaining ties to our roots. Then the curtain comes to a close with Tom Osborne riding off into the sunset and a vague notion that this was made possible thanks to him.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I would have to think that we are headed towards Trev and Frost coming.  Rimington being named interim signals that we are staying with in the family.

A well respected AD will also confer with school officials and maybe where the money comes from as well.

If that's the case though, why would they hire a search firm to find the new AD? I get that Nebraska is raking in all of that Big 10 money now, but that seems like a waste of money if you already know who you're going to hire.