Sexism - It's a Real Thing

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

At first I just thought it was odd.  But I think people who take pics and videos of themselves working out to share with others is very odd in general.  But then I started seeing the "sexist" comments later.

I didn't really find it offensive, but I can see where some people could see it that way.  An already skinny/athletic woman is gifted an exercise bike to "change her life" and then thanks her husband for making it possible.   I always joke about Lowe's and Home Depot commercials being sexist too for advertising the gifts for the men in your life to fix things.

I just decided to laugh at some of the comments from people calling it out as sexist.  My favorite was a Tweet that went something along the lines of "The commercial would have been awesome if it turned out she busted her a$$ the entire year to get into good enough shape to beat the crap out of her husband for buying her an exercise bike..."

34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

A lot of the "outrage" is outrage marketing from Peloton themselves. Free advertising.

In much the same way as there was "outrage" about an all-women Ghostbusters remake, or the Black Ariel in the Little Mermaid, or the whole "lady Doritos" thing. 

Nobody is actually offended by any of this, but that's not the point - the point is to claim people are so people can laugh at all of "them" who are. 

We see examples of that right here on HuskerBoard all the time. People fall for it because it makes them feel superior, when the point is that they're talking about it.

27 minutes ago, knapplc said:

A lot of the "outrage" is outrage marketing from Peloton themselves. Free advertising.

In much the same way as there was "outrage" about an all-women Ghostbusters remake, or the Black Ariel in the Little Mermaid, or the whole "lady Doritos" thing. 

Nobody is actually offended by any of this, but that's not the point - the point is to claim people are so people can laugh at all of "them" who are. 

We see examples of that right here on HuskerBoard all the time. People fall for it because it makes them feel superior, when the point is that they're talking about it.

So, you're saying Peloton has planted people around the internet who are posting that they are upset about the sexism in the ad.

Do you have proof of this or is this your theory?

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, you're saying Peloton has planted people around the internet who are posting that they are upset about the sexism in the ad.

Do you have proof of this or is this your theory?

I'm saying a couple of people pretending to be outraged in a few places can start it. If it takes off it goes viral and poof! free advertising. If it doesn't, no worries - the cost is next to nothing.

Do I have specific proof that this is what happened here?  No. That would require attendance in their meetings, and I am not inside the Peloton Marketing Team. 

But we're all aware such campaigns exist. Or, we should be.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...