Racism - It's a real thing.

18 hours ago, Landlord said:

Would we have not had any idea those guys were racists before they did the hand signal?

We have an idea but the point is these racist people using this symbol in this way can inspire more cowardly racist people who aren't out as racist yet to also use the symbol in a racist way. Then they can just say they were playing a game when they get caught

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure how this story fits into the conversation, but it seems relevant.

The other night, my 10 year old son was brushing his teeth getting ready for bed.  As I walked past the Bathroom door, he gave me what appeared to be a “Nazi salute”.  I stopped dead in my tracks and asked him what he was doing.

With his hand still raised, he says, “I’m just pointing at you to say hi.”

I wasn’t mad at him, but I also didn’t ignore it. We talked about what that gesture “can” mean and how it Is very disrespectful and could get him into trouble.

I get a lot of people still play the game associates with the gesture. I know I still use it just as I would a thumbs up.  But I also know not to pose with it in a picture because people may get the wrong impression.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We have an idea but the point is these racist people using this symbol in this way can inspire more cowardly racist people who aren't out as racist yet to also use the symbol in a racist way. Then they can just say they were playing a game when they get caught

Proud Racists aren't really concerned about getting caught or denying being racist so this is a fallacy.  You're just trying to come up with a reason to gift them a hand gesture that was never racist.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Redux said:

Proud Racists aren't really concerned about getting caught or denying being racist so this is a fallacy.  You're just trying to come up with a reason to gift them a hand gesture that was never racist.

The fallacy is in you assuming all racists are proud and open and public with their racism. That is extremely naive. 

It was never racist before, but if proud racists are out here saying this means white power it can inspire others who feel the same way to do the same thing

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I’m not sure how this story fits into the conversation, but it seems relevant.

The other night, my 10 year old son was brushing his teeth getting ready for bed.  As I walked past the Bathroom door, he gave me what appeared to be a “Nazi salute”.  I stopped dead in my tracks and asked him what he was doing.

With his hand still raised, he says, “I’m just pointing at you to say hi.”

I wasn’t mad at him, but I also didn’t ignore it. We talked about what that gesture “can” mean and how it Is very disrespectful and could get him into trouble.

I get a lot of people still play the game associates with the gesture. I know I still use it just as I would a thumbs up.  But I also know not to pose with it in a picture because people may get the wrong impression.

The swastika is an ancient symbol that represents divinity in Indian culture. It was never racist or a symbol of white supremacy, until it was. Probably the same for the Nazi salute.

• Plus1 1

Just now, teachercd said:

So should we have a panel of people that get to decide what is "bad" and what could inspire people to do "bad" things and then ban those things?

Who ever said anything about banning? Are racists using the symbol in a racist way yes or no?

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Who ever said anything about banning? Are racists using the symbol in a racist way yes or no?

I have no idea, I honestly can say that I personally know zero people that use the OK sign in a racist way...what about you?

And you said it could inspire other people to be racist (or outwardly racist), okay so, should we ban it then?  I think we should, I am fine with banning s#!t that causes harm.

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I have no idea, I honestly can say that I personally know zero people that use the OK sign in a racist way...what about you?

And you said it could inspire other people to be racist (or outwardly racist), okay so, should we ban it then?  I think we should, I am fine with banning s#!t that causes harm.

Do you personally know any Nazi's that draw swastikas? I don't think personal experience is the only thing that determines if something exists or not. 

And the second point is somewhat ridiculous. We might as well ban everything then. Censorship isn't the answer.

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The fallacy is in you assuming all racists are proud and open and public with their racism. That is extremely naive. 

It was never racist before, but if proud racists are out here saying this means white power it can inspire others who feel the same way to do the same thing

If you think that intensely racist people are flashing a hand sign to promote their racism, yet don't want to be outed as a racist.....I can't even comprehend this logic.

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

If you think that intensely racist people are flashing a hand sign to promote their racism, yet don't want to be outed as a racist.....I can't even comprehend this logic.

I don't see why, it's pretty easy to comprehend. Racists aren't accepted very well in most places. Showing your racism has consequences and frankly most people hate consequences so they will do anything to avoid them. If people don't care that they are known as racist why did the kids wearing kkk outfits come up with the excuse that they were simply dressed as monks? People hate backlash