Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

Tradition only matters if your still only a few years removed from winning a meaningful game.  What was the last meaningful game we won?  What was the last meaningful game we played in?  Which conference was that in?  Big 10 Championship where we got ran by Wisky.  Before that was a Big 12 Texas two step.  How many years removed from those games are we now?

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Big 12 is done in 2020.  Conferences like ACC and PAC 12 keep pissing down there legs losing games in the regular season, and still opening the door to Big 12 getting playoff spots.  To add to that, and maybe something for a different thread, if Notre Dame makes a playoff spot, all of this conference smack talk is meaningless.  Pointless.  Big 12 will go on.  Just because we left with our two conference titles and the others left with there combined 2 titles, I don't think the Big 12 really cares that much.  

Obviously, I am not a fan of the Big 10, nor will I ever consider this our true conference.  Big 12 wasn't great either, but we were more relevant in that conference.  

OK, been wanting to point this out for a few weeks.  The B1G schedule makers (League office) put Penn ST up against Michigan and Ohio St in back to back weeks!  Sure, I know that the scheds are made up a few years ahead, but still this still shows that the league is only really looking out for that amazing Ohio ST and Michigan encounter at the end of the year to drum up its profile.  In other words all the hopes for the Big 10 making a playoff is suppose to hinder on that game, not Penn ST and there schedule.  I think its funny.  I hope Penn St beats Ohio ST.  That makes that Big B1G game rather pointless on the national scale.

2 hours ago, JimmyBuckets said:

Bielema or Miles would be more depressing for me. Campbell would be underwhelming, but he has done good things at ISU

Beating Oklahoma 1 time is his entire claim to fame.   This seems a lot like when people wanted Paul Rhodes after he did some good things at ISU.  It would be a real gut punch to learn that's really the best we can do.

Bielema to me is getting short changed on what he did do at WIsky.  He was a winner there.  SEC is not a good fit for alot of coaches.  Sumlin?  Lewis?  Sure these two didn't coach at a Power 5 previously, but sure won games and made a name for themselves.  Miles road Sabans coat tails for a few years with his recruits, but could have done the same at Okie St on his own I think.  I don't think because a guy can't win in the SEC means that a guy can't coach any where else.  Now..........I am not saying that I want Bielema, Miles, or Sumlin.  Just wanting to point out that the SEC has ruined alot of coaches from coaching elsewhere. 

Arkansas................Your near OU, Texas, and in the same conference as BAMA and others.  Imagine recruiting to that right now.  Of all of these names, Miles is the one that I don't want.  I would consider any of the rest actually.

Campbell

Bielema

Sumlin (maybe)

I think all of these coaches would be an upgrade from Riley and most would be an upgrade over Bo .  

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Matt Campbell would be a really depressing hire.

Agree.  We are not taking any young upstart unless it is Frost.  Guy would continually be compared to Frost ad naseam.  No way we are this stupid.  If it is not Frost it has to be a big surprise that we wooed over with a great offer.  Like Shaw (very unlikely) or Fuente (tough but not impossible).  Or a darkhorse is just to go steal Chryst from Wisconsin...would be an interesting move to hurt our biggest division opponent.  All of these are serious $ but there is no other way around this.  Frost is the most likely and fits like no other candidate.  

I will reiterate, I will not accept Bielema as a HC. The guy is an asshat. He can send his wife but he better not get anywhere near here. If people want a coach who will be able to understand the fan base and will dive in 100% to accept our traditions, history, and what our program is all about and bring us back that way, with blue collar ethos, Bielema is the furthest from that you can get. Hes an arrogant self absorbed prick!!

• Plus1 6

4 hours ago, C N Red said:

I will reiterate, I will not accept Bielema as a HC. The guy is an asshat. He can send his wife but he better not get anywhere near here. If people want a coach who will be able to understand the fan base and will dive in 100% to accept our traditions, history, and what our program is all about and bring us back that way, with blue collar ethos, Bielema is the furthest from that you can get. Hes an arrogant self absorbed prick!!

I can't think of another coach beside Bi-enema that would immediately lose 1/4 of the fan base. He wanted to win championships at Arkansas, so let him.

• Plus1 1

Thought I would start this for fun. Saban, harbaugh, urban Meyer and James Franklin are off the table. 

I like scott frost and a long shot but a great fit would be Kirby smart. He has Georgia rolling and sounds like he is a saban clone. Great defense and hard nosed running game. But he is Georgia alumni. 

Edited by Mavric
Merged threads