** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

36 minutes ago, Undone said:

It's hilarious because when I've said on this forum that we need a "first tier" coach on this forum and that Frost is not that guy, I was practically flamed.

Nice to see Chalk Talk saying the same things just from the standpoint of a sanity check about all of the Frost hysteria. The Frost hysteria is of course born out of Riley's terrible results, I get it. 

You can't be first tier without having won titles of some sort. Coach Frost has potential to become a first tier coach, but nowhere near that yet. If he is able to run the table this year and go 11-0 and win the conference title game to go to 12-0, then that is respectable for a second year head coach. If he loses to USF and finishes second in his division, then you can see the upward trend. 

First tier are the likes of Saban (took a long time for him to become a first tier coach), Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Dabo, and the like. National title winning level coaches at the college level or took an NFL team to a superbowl or won the division in the NFL (not an easy thing to do). 

Just now, Undone said:

I will be absolutely thrilled if we hire Frost if these last five games go like I assume they will go. Absolutely thrilled. Largely for the offense that Scott runs.

Sounds good.  I would love Frost, but I also won't be jumping off the cliff if it's not Frost.  Whoever is named, I would like a coach that is on the younger side of the age-range and that has the potential to be a home run hire.

I actually thought Pelini had the potential to be great, but I didn't know he could be a complete lunatic at times.  He also didn't like the Nebraska microscope and was looking to get out of here as soon as he could.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I actually thought Pelini had the potential to be great, but I didn't know he could be a complete lunatic at times.  He also didn't like the Nebraska microscope and was looking to get out of here as soon as he could.

I know. I still haven't gotten over how Pelini was billed as a "defensive genius" but could never craft a B1G defense designed to stop Wisconsin's smashmouth offense.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

I will be absolutely thrilled if we hire Frost if these last five games go like I assume they will go. Absolutely thrilled. Largely for the offense that Scott runs.

I would love to see a mix of what Frost runs wt a bit of TO thrown in.   Throwing in some old school option would keep the D guessing and off balance - Scott says he still pulls for those options schools when he isn't playing them.   Watching the video of the 97  CCG you see how TO would set the D up and then all of a sudden burn them wt a deep pass on a play option pass.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

You can't be first tier without having won titles of some sort. Coach Frost has potential to become a first tier coach, but nowhere near that yet. If he is able to run the table this year and go 11-0 and win the conference title game to go to 12-0, then that is respectable for a second year head coach. If he loses to USF and finishes second in his division, then you can see the upward trend.

Agreed. If he wins his conference, that is officially "recent success" and impressive success at that. 

Moos' reputation would make you assume he'll consider all options. I will assume that if Frost is named it's because he truly was the best option available. And if that happens, I will be very happy. 

I just don't see Riley making the staff changes necessary to make things work. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

I would love to see a mix of what Frost runs wt a bit of TO thrown in.   Throwing in some old school option would keep the D guessing and off balance - Scott says he still pulls for those options schools when he isn't playing them.   Watching the video of the 97  CCG you see how TO would set the D up and then all of a sudden burn them wt a deep pass on a play option pass.  

In my humble opinion, it's better to spend practice time with your mobile quarterback throwing the ball in place of that same practice time being spent on practicing option plays in addition to the base zone read option plays.

I just don't see it as necessary at all. I see it simply playing into the nostalgia factor for our fan base which feels good and all, but isn't actually practical or necessary.

Again, just my opinion. I could be wrong.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

It's hilarious because when I've said on this forum that we need a "first tier" coach on this forum and that Frost is not that guy, I was practically flamed.

Nice to see Chalk Talk saying the same things just from the standpoint of a sanity check about all of the Frost hysteria. The Frost hysteria is of course born out of Riley's terrible results, I get it. 

Frost is a “first tier” coach.... Chalk Talk can kiss my butt.

i was just messing with you last time... it’s okay to want a $7 million coach but guarantees nothing IMO ... except maybe he’s a shoe contract cheater who mysteriously gets all the recruits.

1 hour ago, jessica0 said:

First tier are the likes of Saban (took a long time for him to become a first tier coach), Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Dabo, and the like. National title winning level coaches at the college level or took an NFL team to a superbowl or won the division in the NFL (not an easy thing to do). 

Jim Harbaugh is certainly not a first tier coach. At least not in college, and at least not yet. 

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Jim Harbaugh is certainly not a first tier coach. At least not in college, and at least not yet. 

JH is without a doubt Tier 1. Mike Riley would be a Tier Z compared to JH. 

2004 San Diego 7–4 4–1 2nd      
2005 San Diego 11–1 4–0 1st      
2006 San Diego 11–1 7–0 1st      
San Diego: 29–6 15–1  
Stanford Cardinal (Pacific-10 Conference) (2007–2010)
2007 Stanford 4–8 3–6 T–7th      
2008 Stanford 5–7 4–5 T–6th      
2009 Stanford 8–5 6–3 T–2nd L Sun    
2010 Stanford 12–1 8–1 2nd W Orange 4 4
Stanford: 29–21 21–15  
Michigan Wolverines (Big Ten Conference) (2015–present)
2015 Michigan 10–3 6–2 3rd (East) W Citrus 11 12
2016 Michigan 10–3 7–2 3rd (East) L Orange 10 10
2017 Michigan 5–2 2–2 (East)      
Michigan: 25–8 15–6  
Total: 83–35  
      National championship         Conference title         Conference division title

eam Year Regular season Post season
Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result
SF 2011 13 3 0 .813 1st in NFC West 1 1 .500 Lost to New York Giants in NFC Championship Game
SF 2012 11 4 1 .719 1st in NFC West 2 1 .667 Lost to Baltimore Ravens in Super Bowl XLVII
SF 2013 12 4 0 .750 2nd in NFC West 2 1 .667 Lost to Seattle Seahawks in NFC Championship Game
SF 2014 8 8 0 .500 3rd in NFC West - - - Did Not Qualify
SF Total 44 19 1 .690   5 3 .625  
Total 44 19 1 .690   5 3

No and if he loses to all three this year and again next year, he will be at Youngstown State.  Wolverine fans are not happy with their savior.  But maybe it just takes more than being from Michigan or even (gasp) Nebraska to win.

We had a 1st tier coach and we fired him.  Duh!

Edited by skersfan