** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

13 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Because they think it's a good gamble that he's a great coach with a  good resume. 

Jim McElwain was a great coach with a good resume when Florida hired him. Charlie Strong was a great coach with a good resume when Texas hired him. All I'm saying is, he hasn't proven anything yet, and a lot of these other G5 coaches that got huge contracts haven't proven anything yet. 

I mean if you really take the time to think about all of the things to do in Florida, and all of the different teams to root for, that's not a hard question to answer. 

I disagree. The people that live in Orlando and the surrounding area would PREFER to do something else. They do not have an established fanbase that even remotely cares about their local team. If Ames can fill a stadium for a game in a town their size UCF has no excuse. 

• Plus1 6

13 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I disagree. The people that live in Orlando and the surrounding area would PREFER to do something else. They do not have an established fanbase that even remotely cares about their local team. If Ames can fill a stadium for a game in a town their size UCF has no excuse. 

This makes zero sense.

Iowa State has 30,000 undergrads in a town of 60,000 people, with no pro sports teams of any kind, no major tourist attractions, no huge transportation hub, and no ocean. They're the only show in town, in a small town.

UCF has 50,000 undergrads in a city of 2.5 million people, five pro teams within two hours, Disney, Universal Studios, Sea World, a million EDM festivals, the freaking ocean, etc., and they only averaged about 15k less people than Iowa State did.

If you had a point, then other Florida sports teams not in college towns wouldn't struggle with attendance numbers. But you don't, because the struggle for attendance is not something unique to UCF or their fanbase, but to urban Florida sports fans across the board.

Edited by Landlord
9 hours ago, brophog said:

He's an enormous risk. I've said, and will continue to say, I'd fire him in three years of he's not getting the job done as there may be little point in going past that if he can't show he can bust through this artificial ceiling we've had most of this century. If you want to compete at the highest level, you have to take risks. 

But.....the above quote also has a lot of truth. While Frost is a risk, bigger than I think most want to admit, the promise and potential of Frost has united this fan base in a way we haven't seen in forever. We got that a little in Pelini's first years but there was so much angst and division in the Solich and Callahan decisions that the on field excitement couldn't translate into off field community. Whether Frost ultimately succeeds or not, we will enter an era of unity of which is a long time coming.

"He's an enormous risk." ???

That is just crazy talk.  He was the Top candidate on every major program needing a coach.

Three years ago, MR was an enormous risk.  Frosty proved at UCF he could take an 0-12 team and turn it into a Top 20 team.  He did this with nothing.  He is not an enormous risk.

Husker fans  ... please get a grip.

• Plus1 6

3 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

That is just crazy talk.  He was the Top candidate on every major program needing a coach.

Three years ago, MR was an enormous risk.  Frosty proved at UCF he could take an 0-12 team and turn it into a Top 20 team.  He did this with nothing.  He is not an enormous risk.

Yeah. Sorry a guy that could have coached at Florida, FSU, Oregon, Tennessee or pretty much any other opening besides UCLA is not an enormous risk. He was literally the most sought after coach this current cycle 

• Plus1 4
6 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I agree, the I’d fire him in three years is not only fiscally irresponsible, but the attitude that it plaguing fan bases such as Tennessee.

Its far more than just simply having a lot of things to do. (which they do) Its the lack of a historical culture that takes pride in a certain team. I bet if you randomly stopped 100 people in Lincoln (or Omaha, etc) and asked them where they were from....bet the vast majority would be from there--or maybe they married into a family from there. etc, etc. 

Take the same survey of 100 people in Orlando, and it would be just the opposite. Most are transients with little or no roots here. The folks who are sports fans of often fans of either UF or FSU. 

Coupled with the fact that UCF does not have a great history of sports teams--those things take decades to develop. 

I took my family to a large nearby Christmas event in Winter Garden last night (beautiful town) there were thousands and thousands of people there---and this is a town which is essentially western Orlando. I had my kids play a game where they would spot UCF gear--hats, shirts etc and they could keep points. Not a single one. This is the night before what is probably  their biggest game in the schools history. 

I remember the first time I flew my wife to Nebraska. We walked into the Omaha airport--this was like in March so off season--and she was shocked that the majority of the folks in the airport were wearing some type of Husker gear. Its just the way it is. 

• Plus1 1