** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

10 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

So, let's say for argument that Moos and Frost have had talks (or their people have), and Scott has said "Bill, I'd love to coach the Huskers, but I owe it to the people here to finish one more season to finish what we started.  After that, I'm all Nebraska, 100%."  Does Bill say, "Nope, sorry, now or never, thank you very much, we'll find someone else" ?

It would suck beyond belief for another year (maybe), but if that were the case, wouldn't most fans like that outcome in the long run?

If that's the case, then you tell him, "Would an extra two years, and 12 million change your mind?"

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

There's gonna be some epic coaches vs. players pick-up football games down by the Selleck Quadrangle...

Hey, if Scott can be the scout team QB running the Navy option,  bring it on and let the young guys earn their chops against some of the old guys - I bet they would be up to it (speaking of the old guys - the field may have to be reduced to 40 yards and half as wide)

4 minutes ago, Red_Payne said:

If that's the case, then you tell him, "Would an extra two years, and 12 million change your mind?"

And Scott, knowing he'll earn millions anywhere he goes in the next 10 years, being a man of his word, says "Thanks Bill, but I really need to finish this thing down here, regardless of what you offer this year, I can't accept."  (Let's assume he can't be bought, just for the sake of argument).  Would you prefer that BillWinkle agrees with Scott and we live with Smiling Riley for another year, or do we piss away the future and hire "someone else" because we want Riley gone so badly?  Given those circumstances, do you want Scott Frost a year later, or do you want someone else NOW!?  I am truly curious how folks feel on this.

• Plus1 2

I don't understand the 'let me finish what I started at UCF' argument. They're undefeated and their ceiling is probably a major bowl bid since most two loss P5 schools would be chosen over UCF for the CFP. I just don't see what unfinished business he'd have left to obtain unless he genuinely enjoyed the city, school, culture, lifestyle and didn't have P5 aspirations.

• Plus1 6

1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I think Frost will stay at Central Florida for another year to help build what he started.  Moos has talk to Frost, so Riley coaches another year, retires and Frost comes to Nebraska.

This program can not take another year of Riley. Looking at the 2018 schedule, and a returning Riley and this place will shut down. The streak will be over, which even though people may laugh at it, it is the only "relevant" thing this program has anymore, and the stadium will get emptier and emptier as the season and losses go on.

If Moos gets any sense that Frost is thinking of staying at UCF one more year instead of coming to Nebraska then you offer a lot more money. If you lose out to UCF, then this is really, really bad.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

And Scott, knowing he'll earn millions anywhere he goes in the next 10 years, being a man of his word, says "Thanks Bill, but I really need to finish this thing down here, regardless of what you offer this year, I can't accept."  (Let's assume he can't be bought, just for the sake of argument).  Would you prefer that BillWinkle agrees with Scott and we live with Smiling Riley for another year, or do we piss away the future and hire "someone else" because we want Riley gone so badly?  Given those circumstances, do you want Scott Frost a year later, or do you want someone else NOW!?  I am truly curious how folks feel on this.

I don't think Moos waits regardless.  His career and reputation is also being judged.  I think MR is fried green tomatoes at the end of the season and we move on - wt or without Scott.   If the season plays out at UCF as it has been trending, what else does Scott have to prove there?  If he ends up undefeated and not get an invite to the playoffs, he won't ever get an invite at that school.   I don't think his goal is to be a career coach at a G5 school.  Today is his proving ground to both himself and college football.  He will move on at the end of the year - moving while his commodity is the hottest it will ever be and we will move on not wanting our commodity to be any more cold - which would be dead cold.

• Plus1 5
6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't understand the 'let me finish what I started at UCF' argument. They're undefeated and their ceiling is probably a major bowl bid since most two loss P5 schools would be chosen over UCF for the CFP. I just don't see what unfinished business he'd have left to obtain unless he genuinely enjoyed the city, school, culture, lifestyle and didn't have P5 aspirations.

Yep, if he left after this season he would have left UCF in a much better place then when he inherited it. In fact, on a personal level for Frost, what would another year really do? You lose 0-2 games this season, come back next year and don't do as well, suddenly your momentum as a head coach falls and what did you really accomplish at UCF at the end of it all? Also 3 years doesn't even mean you get to see your first recruiting class through, it may even be more a slap in the face leaving your JR's you recruited going into their final senior season with a new coach.

Osborne probably had 10 more years of coaching left in him, but he walked way on top as a national champion, his legacy grows with each passing year. Frost leaves UCF after 2 years and an incredible quick build and a great season and I would hate to be the coaches that have to replace him.

But bottom line, after 2 years he will have left that place better then when he got there, and really, that is all you can ask for in a coach.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

I think if I'm Moos, and Frost can't come now I need to find a competent coach that wants to. There is too much at stake, and waiting would hurt the program. Fans are the only ones who think Frost is the annointed savior. If that is what Moos thinks, then we are in trouble. You just can't let Frost have that much power.

Either you want to coach here when we need you, or you don't. In that case, good luck, Scott. It just wasn't meant to be. Maybe he can go coach Stanford for a few years, and come back after the next guy fails?

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

Ask TO if he can find it in him to coach for a year, or ask Jason Peter to try not to screw things up for a year than they are (I'm sure he can't; he'll probably improve this team, imho). I'm obviously being facetious, but part of me is serious, lol.

but in all seriousness; yeah; I'd rather wait, then see another coach in here (w/ VEEEEEEERY few exceptions).

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

If that was the case couldn’t we get John Parella to be the head coach or another former Husker to step in until Scott can come. 

But I have another question: what is it Scott has to ‘finish’ down there?  If they finish the season undefeated with a top 6 bowl game then he has accomplished all he can at that level. 

I have a solution if Frost says he wants to stay one more year at UCF.

You go to Frank Solich and ask him if he wants the Nebraska job for one season, then offer Solich a spot within the program if Frost doesn't want to retain him as some sort of assistant. This would be an offering to the curse, let's make it right.

Edited by BoneyardHusker
  • Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ladyhawke said:

If that was the case couldn’t we get John Parella to be the head coach or another former Husker to step in until Scott can come. 

But I have another question: what is it Scott has to ‘finish’ down there?  If they finish the season undefeated with a top 6 bowl game then he has accomplished all he can at that level. 

no way do you sell out to a hold out.......who's to say he won't change his mind next year?  no. no. no.......the devil would be in the details......it's now or never.

• Plus1 1