Frost, Harbaugh or Urban Meyer

5 minutes ago, jaws said:

There are some tough critics in this thread. It is really hard to have a great season in CFB let alone to sustain that over a career. The OP of this thread is basically claiming that Frost is going to win 4+ NCs and string together many top 10 finishes. To be fair to Frost I would pump the brakes on that a bit.

I would be very happy with the young coach that you landed and how well he will fit at Nebraska. That is more important than comparing him to Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh, or Swinney. 

you have no idea of nebraska fans' expectations. he's gonna do that all in one year.

• Plus1 2

38 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yeah, people are making Harbaugh out to be some type of chump coach when he really is not. 

What Harbaugh has done at prior stops is pretty amazing.  Took at USD team that averaged 5.5 wins/year over the prior 5 seasons and won 11 games with them in years 2 & 3.  Took a 1-11 Stanford team to 12-1 his 4th season (as well as beating #1 USC his 1st year there as a 41 point underdog!!!!).  He took a 49ers team that averaged 6.5 wins/year over the prior 5 seasons to 3 consecutive NFC title games (and averaged 11 wins/year in SF).

As far as Michigan, he took a team that averaged 6.5 wins/year the prior 3 seasons and won 10 games in each of his 1st 2 years.  And yes, they did go 8-5 this year.  We would be jumping for joy if Frost can get us to 10-3 his first 2 years here.

what about 8-5 in year 3?

Edited by GBRFAN
34 minutes ago, jaws said:

There are some tough critics in this thread. It is really hard to have a great season in CFB let alone to sustain that over a career. The OP of this thread is basically claiming that Frost is going to win 4+ NCs and string together many top 10 finishes. To be fair to Frost I would pump the brakes on that a bit.

I would be very happy with the young coach that you landed and how well he will fit at Nebraska. That is more important than comparing him to Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh, or Swinney. 

IMO Frost's recent success is working to his detriment with a small portion of the fan base. I think the vast majority of Husker fans are going to be patient and understanding with him. But, there's another group who see 0-12 to 13-0 in two years and think 'why not us?' I won't begrudge them that sentiment even though I disagree with it. There's a good chance Nebraska will not have a good win/loss total next year. I think 8 wins in year two would be a huge success.

Part of this is also just off-season fodder, though. The Nebraska football season ended for a lot of people in October and now a lot of posters here are desperate to talk about anything remotely related to Husker football now that there's a positive energy around everything again. :lol:

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

what about 8-5 in year 3?

If your first two seasons are top 10 seasons, an expected 8 win season after getting decimated by bad roster management from the previous staff and sending a bunch of players to the draft is completely reasonable and fine. 

Harbaugh hasn't beat OSU or won his division yet, but he's still a top 10 coach who's got Michigan in a really good place, the best they've been in at least a decade. They won't even think about getting rid of him until after year 5 unless something catastrophic happens next season.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

That's fair. But, his seat is starting to get a little warm. His recruiting rankings have so far been ranked #50, #4, #4 and currently #17 (according to Rivals).

People up there are going to start expecting some hardware in the next couple of years with recruiting classes like that and I think that's a fair expectation. They at least need to win the division soon.

Oh, I agree. With that kind of recruiting they better start showing better than 8-5..

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Yeah, people are making Harbaugh out to be some type of chump coach when he really is not. 

What Harbaugh has done at prior stops is pretty amazing.  Took at USD team that averaged 5.5 wins/year over the prior 5 seasons and won 11 games with them in years 2 & 3.  Took a 1-11 Stanford team to 12-1 his 4th season (as well as beating #1 USC his 1st year there as a 41 point underdog!!!!).  He took a 49ers team that averaged 6.5 wins/year over the prior 5 seasons to 3 consecutive NFC title games (and averaged 11 wins/year in SF).

As far as Michigan, he took a team that averaged 6.5 wins/year the prior 3 seasons and won 10 games in each of his 1st 2 years.  And yes, they did go 8-5 this year.  We would be jumping for joy if Frost can get us to 10-3 his first 2 years here.

He has shown he can provide an immediate boost in the short term. The verdict is out if he can maintain. My gut tells me he cannot. I'm guessing NFL is in play in a year or 2. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, beorach said:

Dabo's folksy bible-thumping seems like a front for a creeper to me.  I'd take Venables, though.

I have never gotten the impression that Dabo is some bible thumper.  The only job Dabo is leaving Clemson for is Alabama when Nick retires.  

Lot of the talent was credited to Hoke I think LOM.  He is not winning the games he was  paid the bucks to win.  Losing to Wisconsin, Michigan State, Penn State and all to Ohio State is not going over well.  His attitude is what will kill him there, but like us they got who and what they wanted, so possibly he will get more time.  But he has to be competitive with Ohio State is my guess. 

I dislike Meyer and OSU, but he is a top three elite coach in the game.  It's not even close. 

JH has refused to adapt his offense and his quarterbacks and offense have not been able to do run the Shembechler 2.0 offense.  If he does not change something on that side of the ball in 2018 his seat will get warmer. That said, he has been very successful wherever he has been, to include being a play away from a Super Bowl victory and making a Stanford, one of the toughest places to recruit due to academics, a national powerhouse for a few years. 

We love Frost and he is the right hire for this program. He does not have anywhere near the accolades as the other two.  He might be the best choice for this program, but certainly not even close to the other two in terms of generic coaching credentials.