Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 6/30/2023 at 8:07 PM, CyHawk said:

"Being Iowa fan is just sad.  We are in the midst of the worst stretch of Husker football in a long, long time, yet more people care about the Huskers.  Oh, and we beat Iowa this year."

Yes, the huskers beat the team with one of the worst offenses in D1. Iowa has been horrible the past 2 years on offense. I will give you that.

The irony is Iowa fans gloating about "the streak" during arguably their best stretch ever during our worst stretch ever, and yet still barely beating us during that streak. Iowa fans were quick to trot out "huck the fuskers" shirts back in 2002 and enjoyed NU's downturn more than your own teams success. It's weird, and kind of sad to be honest.

The reasoning behind folks like us caring about the Huskers is how your team went about winning, and how your fans were demeaning to other teams and fans way back in the last century when they were good. Remember when you all would applaud for the losing team as they came off the field after a 40, 50, 60 point drubbing? The reason you applauded the other team is that you were the self anointed "best fans in college football". Fast forward several years, several coaches, and a TON of horrible seasons and no longer do the greatest fans applaud the losing team (btw, far fewer teams lose in Lincoln). When that swagger was shoved down our throats for years, it is easy to laugh about your team now, along with the fans that have abandoned the team at many games right there in Lincoln. 

That's just objectively false. Nebraska fans do that even in losses.

cl2kli2x85g71.jpg

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

"Fast forward several years, several coaches, and a TON of horrible seasons and no longer do the greatest fans applaud the losing team

While you're right that far fewer teams are losing in Lincoln, the fanbase still cheers for every opponent win or lose. This isn't true.

21 hours ago, CyHawk said:

My point was that your fan base quit doing it when the team became losers. What happened to the class?

Your point is factually wrong.

17 hours ago, CyHawk said:

Seriously? You do not even applaud for your own team any more even when they tried their hardest and did not give up.

This also isn't true.

17 hours ago, CyHawk said:

(yes, I realize that you say the boos are for the coaches, but I don't think the players see it that way) I am not saying it is right or wrong, I am just saying why Iowa does not like Nebraska and we have enjoyed seeing the last miserable 25 years of Husker football. 

Could be worse, our fanbase could be known for booing injured players.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 5

"That's just objectively false. Nebraska fans do that even in losses."

That is BS. Most do not applaud for the other team. They used to, but no more.

Bobby Bowdens letter was from 1980! That was 43 years ago. I will say that the fans are still way way above average, but they are no longer as good as they used to be back when the Huskers were winning. It is easy to be a  good fan when you are winning!

That was a great "Play of the Day" clip! Lets see all of the clips where the team lost going down the stretch, the fans booing, and the team concentrating more on a mustache contest than the game. 

The bottom line is that this thread proves that there is, indeed, a rivalry!

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

Bobby Bowdens letter was from 1980! That was 43 years ago. I will say that the fans are still way way above average, but they are no longer as good as they used to be back when the Huskers were winning. It is easy to be a  good fan when you are winning!

That was a great "Play of the Day" clip! Lets see all of the clips where the team lost going down the stretch, the fans booing, and the team concentrating more on a mustache contest than the game. 

There is a rivalry, no doubt.

I think it also proves that you're either talking about your a$$ or you're far too obsessed with your rival than is healthy.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, CyHawk said:

I laugh at most of the troll stuff you post.

But that mustache thing was stone cold embarrassing.

• TBH 1
3 hours ago, CyHawk said:

your-attempt-at-l13pnd.jpg

• TBH 4
21 hours ago, CyHawk said:

"I think it also proves that you're either talking about your a$$ or you're far too obsessed with your rival than is healthy."

Talking about my a$$, or talking out my a$$? Big difference. 

Oops. Freud would have a field day with this one :lol:

"Oops. Freud would have a field day with this one :lol:"

Hmmmm, yes he certainly would have! Do you talk allot about other guys asses?

Once again, this thread pretty much validates the rivalry that the two schools/states have. To say there is no rivalry here is being completely oblivious to what a rivalry is.

On another note, I really do hope that the Husker program sees a turnaround. 

5 hours ago, JoeHuskers! said:

How are we "self anointed"  as the greatest fans in college football? Constantly being told we are and referred to as the greatest fans by other coaches/players/fan bases for decades does not makes us "self anointed"

It's written on the stadium....

husker_happiness_004.0.thumb.jpg.70f69e9e9ff59fe5113308402df2d9af.jpg

I don't think other coaches/players/fans did that.

• Plus1 1