Bunch transferring

SUHperman

59 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Agreed.  Today, a 5 star QB is already being looked at for NFL abilities.  No way in hell they are going to switch to a different position in order to get on the field for their current team.

Then there's our own Scott Frost, recruited away from Nebraska by QB guru Bill Walsh to run the offense at Stanford. Walsh quickly realized other quarterbacks were better equipped and told Frost he'd stand a better chance at safety. Frost still saw himself as a quarterback, and transferred to perhaps the only school that would let him step into the position.

Turns out Walsh and Frost were both correct. 

Frost wasn't a 5 star, but few coaches would understand the star QB mentality better than Scott.

14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Then there's our own Scott Frost, recruited away from Nebraska by QB guru Bill Walsh to run the offense at Stanford. Walsh quickly realized other quarterbacks were better equipped and told Frost he'd stand a better chance at safety. Frost still saw himself as a quarterback, and transferred to perhaps the only school that would let him step into the position.

Frost wasn't a 5 star, but few coaches would understand the star QB mentality better than Scott.

Good viewpoint

Another way to look at it was Frost saw 2 very good QB's still playing at NU for a couple more years and decided to go somewhere he might have a better shot from the jump.

14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I wonder what he would have been. He had an offer from Notre Dame.

On 12/18/2018 at 11:24 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

From what little I saw of AJ Bush, I didn't see him starting for the Huskers or any other P5 team. Didn't think anything of him transferring.

But watching him play for Illinois, he definitely could be running Scott Frost's offense for us.

I hold a little bit different of an opinion - in the game against Nebraska this past season, I think he showed exactly why he wasn't a starter here and why he wouldn't be able to run Scott's offense. He was 11-25 for 126 yards and two INTs against a below average college football defense. On the season, he was a 53.9% passer, with 6 TDs and 9 INTs.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Swiv3D said:

Would our coaching staff be able to talk around to other staffs for/with him to help him out? Dont know why they'd necessarily do that but just wondered if they could

I believe this happens more than one might think, especially if the coaches respect the player. I imagine they'd be inclined to offer some help if Bunch was interested and the staff had connections. By all accounts, he worked his butt off for the program but he and the coaches realize he's not in a position to be a starter here, and he's a QB.

1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

He was also not getting any first or second team reps in the weeks leading up to his start...he was an after thought...Until Gebbia left.  Then he suddenly was thrust into a role he hadn't prepared for.

I think he did as well as someone could in his situation.

are you guys talking about Bush or Bunch....are you guys on the same page here? lol 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

He was also not getting any first or second team reps in the weeks leading up to his start...he was an after thought...Until Gebbia left.  Then he suddenly was thrust into a role he hadn't prepared for.

I think he did as well as someone could in his situation.

They were talking about Bush, I think most people agree Bunch did as well as can be expected. I thought it was Bunch initially too, but the "playing against a below average defense" made me re-read it since Troy was actually pretty solid. Our defense was definitely below average though, and Bush had some ugly passing numbers.

I think he stays. It’s obvious Frost didn’t suggest he look around. After Bunch weighs available opportunities vs staying and having a front row seat to a team transformation knowing that he can significantly help, he stays put. I don’t think Frost will put him on scholarship and they probably have Vedral ahead of him.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I hold a little bit different of an opinion - in the game against Nebraska this past season, I think he showed exactly why he wasn't a starter here and why he wouldn't be able to run Scott's offense. He was 11-25 for 126 yards and two INTs against a below average college football defense. On the season, he was a 53.9% passer, with 6 TDs and 9 INTs.

I agree with this.  Bush can run the ball pretty well but he really, really, struggles when it comes to passing.  He'd make Frost's offense too one dimensional.

On 12/17/2018 at 2:41 PM, Landlord said:

People are saying a big part of why Bunch isn't being criticized is because of the timing thing. I say bulls#!t. If Bunch stuck around until August and then transferred out, we still wouldn't care or hold it against him. 

Look at how people reacted to POB leaving in the spring, and compare it to Gebbia.

Timing was the main reason people were upset, along with him being the #2.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Look at how people reacted to POB leaving in the spring, and compare it to Gebbia.

Timing was the main reason people were upset, along with him being the #2.

I agree that timing was the main reason people were upset with Gebbia.

What I'm positing is that timing would not make the same people upset if Bunch transferred out at the same time.