Speed City

Mavric

24 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It appears we will have the fastest set of receivers in the conference as a group and one of the fastest in the country.   We have a load of sprinters and most run under 10.8  hundreds or 4.5 in the forty.   Quick and speedy both.   Dinardo just doesn't know what he's talking about, often frankly.

This might be your shortest post to date haha.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3

On 8/25/2019 at 12:34 PM, DefenderAO said:

He wants pure muscle and athleticism close to the LOS.  And then burners as you move further away.  Both O and D.

This is slightly different than Oregon.  Those guys were always a bit undersized at the line.  You could see it when they played SEC teams and OSU.  If we can have 90's NU line strength and Oregon's tempo/athletes...watch out.

So you’re saying if we have arguably the greatest decade of offensive line play in the history of college football combined with the greatest decade of skill players at one time at one university we’ll win some games? 

Sounds fair. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WildBillMoos said:

So you’re saying if we have arguably the greatest decade of offensive line play in the history of college football combined with the greatest decade of skill players at one time at one university we’ll win some games? 

Sounds fair. 

With the changing landscape of strength and conditioning, separating from the pack in strength alone will be impossible.  

Similar concept...NU was running an offense no one else really did in the 90's - option football.  Our problem was speed up until the 90's.  When we recruited real athletes around the muscle, we were set apart.

Year-over-year top schools in the country:

Tier 1 - Bama and Clemson

Tier 2 - Georgia, Oklahoma, OSU

No Tier 1 and 2 team plays fast; they're mostly pro-style offenses.  All have shown they can recruit stoutly near the lines except for OU's weaker defenses.  

My point - NU would be a set-apart offensive style in this group, and if we can hold our own with the big boys at the line, the Oregon pace and athlete style would make us vastly different.  If Oregon had parity at the lines against LSU and Auburn in recent past, I think they win at least one of those games and the OSU NC game is closer.

Watch Scott's pressers.  Look at the offers.  Big, long athletes everywhere.  Get them with Duval to bulk.  Throw in a couple waterbeds (Robinson <-> De'Anthony 
Thomas), play at lightning pace...throw in our tradition and legacy to boot.  Who else has all of this?  It's Scott's angle to be different and get back to Tier 1.

The one place I'm not fully sold is the defensive priority for turnovers.  I'd rather see stops.  I don't want to sit through an interview at the end of a game and complain "we just couldn't get the ball back."  We need stops.  3rd and 2...no gain (hell, we'd take 3rd and 12 stops at this point).  Disciplined teams can keep the ball.  I don't want to give up 495 yards and grab the ball three times to have to call it a defensive success.

7 minutes ago, FTW said:

I like speed, speed is good. I just hope we start to see a stronger offensive and defensive line. That to me will show that the whole Husker Power regimen is working.

Bingo.  

Scott's formula:

Big and long at the lines.  Duval gets them strong

Long, rangy athletes behind them

Burners at skill positions (D and O); rangy, tall DB's.

A couple big, deep threats at WR.  A waterbug or two that you can't even two-hand touch

Dual Threat, smart QB's

Pace on offense

Great kids who love football and each other

This is where an 8.788 recruit may be the diamond in there rough vs. the 9.576.  Scott has a plan.  I don't see anyone trying to put this whole puzzle together anywhere else in the country.  Bama and Clemson almost mirror each other's approach.  It works, clearly.  But they go back-and-forth beating each other.   What if pace and O style sets NU apart?  Wear them out even quicker than we wore Ray Lewis and Sapp out in '95 Orange Bowl (and through pace, not 55 minutes of hitting them).

I'm in to see where it goes.  I like it.  Value differentiation.  Scott knows what he's doing.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

Throw in a couple waterbeds (Robinson <-> De'Anthony 
Thomas),

1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

A couple big, deep threats at WR.  A waterbug or two that you can't even two-hand touch

I used to own a waterbed.  I know what waterbugs are.

I'm struggling to figure out what they mean here.