What did we learn South Alabama?

19 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I’ve been on this board for around 10 years, haven’t seen ONE thing about a “rep point” changing my life.  Who “collects” these? And more importantly, why?!?!?

please +1 this post if you agree! :sarcasm

Seems to be a lot of codependency problems with people who A) worry about them

and

B) more serious personality issues for those who worry that OTHERS are concerned with getting them.

In my mind they are like wrinkles... stick around long enough and you’ll acquire them (without even trying).

26 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Seems to be a lot of codependency problems with people who A) worry about them

and

B) more serious personality issues for those who worry that OTHERS are concerned with getting them.

In my mind they are like wrinkles... stick around long enough and you’ll acquire them (without even trying).

I would +1, but would hate to add to your wrinkles :)

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Landlord said:

oh also, I remember a lot of people were saying the same sorts of justifications of, "oh we were being vanilla saving it for our big opponent) in 2013 against Wyoming/Southern Miss, claiming (with some even offering insider source accounts) that we were saving the good stuff for UCLA, and also in 2007 against nevada/wake forest before our big matchup against USC

Wait a doggone minute... Bill Callahan and Bo Pelini are not Scott Frost. Bill took over a good team and destroyed the program. Bo took over a terrible team and made them decent (top 40). The guy who shall not be named took over a decent program and made them bake cupcakes. Scott took over a bakery, had 30+ dough boys leave in his first year for other culinary schools, and has so far turned that bakery back into a smelter. The blacksmiths can’t replace doughnuts with iron overnight. This staff had the hardest job of all 4 coaching staffs partially named above. He’s going to need time to win a division/conference championship. What we’re seeing is an actual transformation of a team. Culture changes take time. These kids can win, they just need to believe it. A lot will change by the OSU game, including the tone of this thread.

In 2008, Nick Saban’s 2nd year at Alabama, the Tide came out flat in their second game against Tulane. Alabama won 20-6. Tulane finished 2-10 that year. Alabama has 18 returning starters. They finished 12-2. We aren’t going to finish with 12 wins, but I guarantee we’ll win at least 9 this year and have a chance to win the division. Frost took over a much worse team than Nick. We’ll look back on the first 3 years under Frost as clear building blocks to rebuilding a perineal power house.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, ZMagers22 said:

Wait a doggone minute... Bill Callahan and Bo Pelini are not Scott Frost. Bill took over a good team and destroyed the program. Bo took over a terrible team and made them decent (top 40). The guy who shall not be named took over a decent program and made them bake cupcakes. Scott took over a bakery, had 30+ dough boys leave in his first year for other culinary schools, and has so far turned that bakery back into a smelter. The blacksmiths can’t replace doughnuts with iron overnight. This staff had the hardest job of all 4 coaching staffs partially named above. He’s going to need time to win a division/conference championship. What we’re seeing is an actual transformation of a team. Culture changes take time. These kids can win, they just need to believe it. A lot will change by the OSU game, including the tone of this thread.

In 2008, Nick Saban’s 2nd year at Alabama, the Tide came out flat in their second game against Tulane. Alabama won 20-6. Tulane finished 2-10 that year. Alabama has 18 returning starters. They finished 12-2. We aren’t going to finish with 12 wins, but I guarantee we’ll win at least 9 this year and have a chance to win the division. Frost took over a much worse team than Nick. We’ll look back on the first 3 years under Frost as clear building blocks to rebuilding a perineal power house.

Yup. Scott Frost will be behind the ballsiest team for years to come.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4

Coming off a 4 win season with an 0-6 start, Nebraska is in no position to sandbag anyone. 

The Colorado game will count precisely as much as the USA game, and Colorado isn't exactly a P5 juggernaut you can only defeat with deception. 

I think Frost devised a gameplan featuring plays that could and should have beaten South Alabama, and we saw them in a successful and hardly boring first drive and touchdown.

Then the offense stalled -- or didn't even see the ball for long stretches -- while the defense staked them a lead. 

If Frost had gone deep in his playbook against a South Alabama team we were leading by 2 or 3 touchdowns, people here would have wondered why we couldn't impose our will with our bread and butter plays ---- which under Frost are actually pretty exciting when well executed. 

This wasn't about Colorado.

27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Coming off a 4 win season with an 0-6 start, Nebraska is in no position to sandbag anyone. 

The Colorado game will count precisely as much as the USA game, and Colorado isn't exactly a P5 juggernaut you can only defeat with deception. 

I think Frost devised a gameplan featuring plays that could and should have beaten South Alabama, and we saw them in a successful and hardly boring first drive and touchdown.

Then the offense stalled -- or didn't even see the ball for long stretches -- while the defense staked them a lead. 

If Frost had gone deep in his playbook against a South Alabama team we were leading by 2 or 3 touchdowns, people here would have wondered why we couldn't impose our will with our bread and butter plays ---- which under Frost are actually pretty exciting when well executed. 

Would they have executed better going deeper into the playbook? I don’t think so. Having a broader scope of plays was not the issue. 

17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I totally agree with this but it also makes the result a little more disturbing. The pace and rhythm of the game and our vanilla plan can explain us not getting close to covering the spread but I’m not sure it can fully explain our almost complete inability to execute a simplified game plan against a far inferior opponent. I may be a bit delusional but I think the Nebraska offense should be able run the ball against a team like South Alabama even if they are stacking the box....even if we tell them exactly what we are going to do. I can accept a lot of what happened in this game except for two things; the performance of our O Line and Frost’s inability or refusal to adjust to what USA was doing. I know Adrian can play much better and make better decisions. We’ve seen proof of that so his play, while concerning in the short term, is not worthy of some of the knee jerk reactions. I believe he will be fine.

I’m going to tell myself that the rhythm of the 2nd half was so completely disjointed that Frost really didn’t get much opportunity to attempt some tweaks that should’ve broke the game open. He also has proven he can call a better game so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. That leaves one glaring concern, the O Line. I guess to deal with that one I will close my eyes, put my fingers in my ears and go La La La until I see what we do against CU.  Living in Colorado, this is the absolute last game I can deal with us possibly losing. I know that’s stupid as it isn’t even a conference game and it means next to nothing in the grand plan. But it is what it is. This is not how I wanted to be approaching game #2. 

14 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Would they have executed better going deeper into the playbook? I don’t think so. Having a broader scope of plays was not the issue. 

Really? Absolutely different formations and different plays should’ve allowed us to exploit them stacking the box and our propensity of attempting exactly what their defense was designed to stop. Unless of course you assume we would not have been able to execute anything.

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Really? Absolutely different formations and different plays should’ve allowed us to exploit them stacking the box and our propensity of attempting exactly what their defense was designed to stop. Unless of course you assume we would not have been able to execute anything.

Barely could execute a snap, so...

• Fire 1
7 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Barely could execute a snap, so...

So, you are assuming we would not have been able to execute anything. Hard to argue with, given what we saw but it also seems maybe a little too alarmist and negative. I’m going wait for another game before I form too much of an opinion.