What did we learn South Alabama?

I wish people would stop saying that this was purposefully vanilla and they were looking towards CU. That probably wasn’t close to being the case considering Osborne used to preach constantly that each individually game was important, no red circles on the calendar, etc. I’m betting Frost adheres to that on some level. 

Saturday was probably combination of a team not quite deserving of the hype it’s getting having a bad day. All they can do is learn from it and move on. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, FTW said:

We both know the USA defensive line won't be the most talented one they face all year. Mo Washington's YPC was promising, Mills was not. We had issues running power last year and converting 3rd & short, 4th & short. The same issues crept up against USA a few times.

If we don't have an inside runner, then you have to turn Martinez loose. I think we saw maybe 1-2 QB designed runs in game 1. There's a lot that wasn't shown in that game. And Martinez is right, a couple of throws he made if he could have them back, they're explosive plays that lead to scoring.

This should have been a 42-14 kind of game.

Not making excuses, but if Spielman doesn't bobble that punt, I bet that is the final score last Saturday.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Not making excuses, but if Spielman doesn't bobble that punt, I bet that is the final score last Saturday.

Yep that put our defense in such a bind. Then to follow up with an interception by Martinez shortly after. Neither of those plays happen, the route is on. What sucks is it was like a slow car crash. The muffed punt, the interception, Mills fumble. So many back breakers in such a short time. 

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

I wish people would stop saying that this was purposefully vanilla and they were looking towards CU. That probably wasn’t close to being the case considering Osborne used to preach constantly that each individually game was important, no red circles on the calendar, etc. I’m betting Frost adheres to that on some level. 

Saturday was probably combination of a team not quite deserving of the hype it’s getting having a bad day. All they can do is learn from it and move on. 

Maybe it wasn’t that vanilla. I remember pass plays, running the back around the edges, some others. It just felt like the majority of the  play calling was between the tackles and it wasn’t working-but save for the first series, neither was anything else. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I saw a play on Twitter where Mills takes the handoff and just goes right into traffic in the middle, rather than following his pulling guard outside. The guard may have been going to the wrong gap, but Mills didn’t even try to do anything except run right into the middle of the pile. 

This play?  It looks like Jaimes is pulling.  This looks similar to the play where I thought Jaimes would blow up the LB and Mills goes to the same spot but Jaimes doesn't.  It's possible Jaimes and Mills are supposed to read what the DE does and Jaimes does the right thing and Mills should bounce it out.  Farniok did not get a good block.

25 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

Frost definitely did not open up the playbook and he even said as much in the presser. We simplified the playbook to run basic plays and we just couldn't do it. Usually, we would have screens or other plays to help out the offense but they weren't being run on Saturday. 

Frost is also not Osborne, while they have many similarities they aren't going to do things the exact same. I am definitely fine with that. You are not wrong though in that we did not live up to the hype. I fully expected Martinez to smash his passing yards last year and so far he is off to a bad start. There were 3 or 4 receivers who should have gotten touches that didn't, so expect us to share the wealth more instead of hone in on certain players. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, CapoValley said:

Osborne used to prep a little for Oklahoma each week.  Beating them was that important.  The source of that info is a former defensive player from the early 80s.  The team was good enough to do it back then and the schedule allowed for it.  We are not good enough to do that now.

I agree with your second point, the offense had a bad day.  Things usually aren't as bad as they seem after week 1, or as good.

5 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Frost definitely did not open up the playbook and he even said as much in the presser. We simplified the playbook to run basic plays and we just couldn't do it. Usually, we would have screens or other plays to help out the offense but they weren't being run on Saturday. 

Frost is also not Osborne, while they have many similarities they aren't going to do things the exact same. I am definitely fine with that. You are not wrong though in that we did not live up to the hype. I fully expected Martinez to smash his passing yards last year and so far he is off to a bad start. There were 3 or 4 receivers who should have gotten touches that didn't, so expect us to share the wealth more instead of hone in on certain players. 

This is worrisome.  I heard Frost mention a limited game plan, but it's worse when you see what you wrote.  "We simplified the playbook to run basic plays and we just couldn't do it".  Against USA... 

If we do not learn to successfully execute the basic playbook, best buckle up.  This will be a long season.  Basic doesn't mean play like crap, and unfortunately, that's what the O did Sat.  I do hope they come out Sat with something to prove....

1 minute ago, lo country said:

This is worrisome.  I heard Frost mention a limited game plan, but it's worse when you see what you wrote.  "We simplified the playbook to run basic plays and we just couldn't do it".  Against USA... 

We didn’t do the basic things, like block. That’s easy to fix, and a lot of it is just beating your man. If they played with the intensity of the defense, we’d all be kool-aid diabetics today.

• Plus1 1