NU to unveil $150 million football facility plan Friday

knapplc

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is where I am as well.  I think the expansion of the weight room/locker room/meeting rooms will make things a lot better for football.  And all sports will benefit from that facility being very accessible from campus.  So from that standpoint, I think it's still a good idea.

However, going forward I think a pretty good argument could be made for directing those type of funds at NIL instead.

Agree.  It will be interesting to see where NIL funding and regulation goes into the future.

Regarding my comments about functionality of the locker rooms/weight rooms/practice field, Frost commented that it's a long walk from the current locker room to the current practice facility, and the team has to go up and down stairs.  The new project make things more convenient and accessible.

24 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Agree.  It will be interesting to see where NIL funding and regulation goes into the future.

Regarding my comments about functionality of the locker rooms/weight rooms/practice field, Frost commented that it's a long walk from the current locker room to the current practice facility, and the team has to go up and down stairs.  The new project make things more convenient and accessible.

Exercise is good but I believe the time is limited for practices etc and scheduling so it’s good to bring the complex together for efficiency for all concerned.  And it will impress parents too!   It shows a program that is serious, committed  and future focused.  Hope they add some trophy space so we can fill it up and need more!!   Someday times will be good again - across ALL sports.  Aim high and work for it.  It won’t happen until the effort and faith is there to do it.  Every sport ABSOLUTELY can be exceptional if the dedication and focus is constant.  Even men’s BB can be much better.  PBA is a fine arena.  Hoiberg has done it before in Ames IA of all places.  Track always been excellent. Gymnastic has had plenty of national success.   Baseball and softball too.  VB is near the top and has been for 3 or 4 decades.  

Im for adding sports if possible.  I know $$ is very tight but we need to buck the trends and set the pace. Innovate where we can but remember - hard work, no shortcuts, consistency and teamwork across the entire University.  The Big Ten does represent a tradition of excellence and leadership and high expectations and lofty standards.  Let’s lead, not follow, as that’s how you finish ahead of the pack.   

GBR!  

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

You could be right but we do get looks from some of the better recruits so you never know, annedge in facilities could be just the ticket to that one or two “difference makers” so many talk about.  It is true that we really have not had any real difference makers lately.  Maybe a couple in the latest group.  And maybe, just maybe, Whipple and Joseph or even Raiola could be the key to turn things upward. We have to find something to hang hope from.  I just dread an entire offseason with so little anticipation.  

I hope academics are not forgotten because getting good grades really makes college a lot more fun and worthwhile.  Boredom is the worst emotion for college aged people  - it leads to bad choices in many areas.  College should be a great experience in many ways imo.  Winning will help too but it’s more than winning.   

some times bad choices result in a good time. Sure it might burn and itch for a few days. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

If the facilities arms race across the country is going to halt or slow down in the face of NIL, then this isn't anything but a good thing, being the last/most recent to build the nicest and newest that will last in comparison to our competition for a long time.

I’m afraid recruiting competition is going to get more and more cut throat in every way possible.  Any advantages will be exploited.  Falter or fall behind - you will lose so much ground you won’t ever catch up.  Lead or fall behind.  There won’t be any limits absent fed anti-trust intervention and just imagine if Congress gets in the football governing game. It will be ugly - who knows what states will dominate?   Politics gets into conference and rival teams battles!  OMG where that goes.  Divided states. Political parties.  Geographical and there’s no end.  Alma maters. Anti-football groups.  No limits of where it could end up.   

Again, imo, the P5 conferences have to separate into a whole new league of their own. Schedule intra only. TV deals. Etc.  that would eliminate a bunch of FBs lower tier schools but sadly there is no $$$ market for another 130 semi pro football and other major sports teams.    

The can of worms opened by the pay the players movement could very well destroy college sports imo.  The Big schools needed to get ahead of this a decade ago and realign, dump the NCAA etc.  But they didn’t and now there really is no telling where it goes but it may not be good - for anybody.  

Another possibility is sever fb from colleges altogether.  The other sports would sink or swim without pay for play NIL money - eventually.  BB might end up down a similar separate path but there are way too many teams in Div 1 and no natural grouping levels left.  BB can function on very little money comparatively so teams could end up with one or two owners.  FB too but I don’t know if there are enough billionaires to fund semi pro (below NFL) teams.  Or, maybe a few colleges affiliate with NFL teams as minor league clubs like Baseball?    Maybe each pro team adopts two major college teams as their club / farm teams?  

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

If the facilities arms race across the country is going to halt or slow down in the face of NIL, then this isn't anything but a good thing, being the last/most recent to build the nicest and newest that will last in comparison to our competition for a long time.

Agreed but facilities and amenities are not going to fall off the radar with recruits because of NIL. They’ll still want the best facilities…..and the best NIL deals too. NIL just added another front we have to compete on. I don’t think either one will offset the other as far as what recruits will look at.

It’s another case of the haves having an advantage over the have nots. Not a good thing overall for CFB imo but possibly a good thing for Nebraska if we can keep up with the NIL race. We have to do much better than a few couches for player’s apartments tho. NIL is going to (already has?) ruin CFB but that doesn’t mean anybody can shortchange it and survive.

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Plus, the new facilities are being done to make the football practices, locker rooms, pre-game work, and other sports training more functional in general.  Yes, the goal is to help with recruiting, but the old facilities were drastically out of date compared to other Big Ten facilities and needed an upgrade to be more functional.

Meh.....very very little in facility upgrades like this actually make a team or player better than what the old facilities would.  The vast majority of the expense is to do nothing but attract 18 year old kids to come play for you.  Which, I have always thought was a necessity...and at the same time...what a waste of money.

Unfortunately, programs moving forward, will have to keep up with both facilities that are crazy over the top and NIL.

5 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

As I was reading I was honestly expecting us to be Top 10. Had no idea our facilities had fallen behind the likes of Mizzou and Texas Tech. 

I still don't understand exactly why or what the judging metrics are, but we've been considered pretty far down for a while.

• 1 month later...

I'd rather renovate Memorial stadium.  I believe far less than $150M cost.

TdcbBmj.png

tUJhg5k.png

• Replace from ugly construction barrier fence (eyesore) to plant real red robin hedges
  • Daktronics will be twice the size vs. north husker video
  • Natural grass .... Keep up with elite teams surface (Kardashians ;))
  • New second deck, closer to the action.  Not shown, carbon copy north stands (second deck)
  • Tear down video screens. Why? Now tradition pillars.  And carved Southeast pillar: "In Commemoration of the men of Nebraska who served and fell in the Nation's Wars." Southwest: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory." Northwest: "Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport." Northeast: "Their Lives they held their country's trust; They kept its faith; They died its heroes."
  • Haha 2