"Offensive" issues

32 minutes ago, lo country said:

As I mentioned in another thread showing our current B1G rankings, the O has done enough to go bowling, but the D is abysmal.

Our scoring O is ranked below our scoring D. If our offense actually put up points to match their yardage numbers, we'd be alright. But... they're not. At all.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, Toe said:

Our scoring O is ranked below our scoring D. If our offense actually put up points to match their yardage numbers, we'd be alright. But... they're not. At all.

I totally agree, and while there are multiple posts saying its the Defense and multiple saying its the offense, the reality truly is that it is both. We really do suck on both sides of the ball. I would lean towards the Defense probably being the worse of the two and the MORE major factor in how bad we are. However, dont get me wrong,...our offense still leaves ALOT to be desired

• Plus1 1

The Purdue game should not have even been close going into the half. 

I didn't hear anyone saying the defense was going to be amazing this year. All I read is hopefully they improve a little bit. They are playing at about the level I thought they would.

The defense did their job for two quarters. The offense failed. Again. Four drives started in Purdue territory and only three points. Are you kidding me? This offense is garbage

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Igetbored216 said:

I didn't hear anyone saying the defense was going to be amazing this year. All I read is hopefully they improve a little bit. They are playing at about the level I thought they would.

The defense did their job for two quarters. The offense failed. Again. Four drives started in Purdue territory and only three points. Are you kidding me? This offense is garbage

Schematically, it's pretty good.

Execution, not so much.

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Honestly, if I never saw us try another screen I'd be happy.  Like you, until last night I never saw one work as designed....I watched SMU/Memphis last night. Those 2 teams know how to play the screen game....and get quick passes to speedsters in space...

Whether its swing passes to the running backs or screens martinez seems to be half a second slow getting the ball out. Couple that with offensive linemen wiffing on blocks it baffles me why they even continue to try screens on 3rd down.

11 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Whether its swing passes to the running backs or screens martinez seems to be half a second slow getting the ball out. Couple that with offensive linemen wiffing on blocks it baffles me why they even continue to try screens on 3rd down.

Boggles the mind. It allows the D to see, recognize and react before our guy even has the ball.  Or throws behind, in the dirt, air mails etc....Might be one of those untold mysteries....What was wrong with AM.....

• Plus1 2

Interesting seeing what Andy Reid has done since Mahomes has been out, has done with his pass protections. 7 blockers and let's the skill players work the field, hill/spielman both can work the field. I wonder if frost took away some of the reads and just let the skill players get open and limit the qb decisions to be made if we would be a better offense

I would love to see us get some recruits who gave a crap about the school.  We have some, but not near enough to make a difference yet.  It will take some in state boys to get this thing looking different.  You watch Penn St, and Ohio St and others, and they grew up fans of those schools and when its their turn, they have some pride.  Until that happens again, this might be a continuous cycle.

16 hours ago, Igetbored216 said:

I agree with everything said here, however, the offense is garbage because of the execution not necessarily play calling or scheme. 

• Plus1 1