Frost's Frustrations

lo country

Another interview article by Sip with Frost.  Gives some incite into what he is facing and obstacles to overcome.  I think he and the staff have responsibility in the turnaround, but he does raise some valid points....How do fix something when guys might not want it fixed....Glad he got the lengthy contract.  He's going to need it...

"Then, once we got here and got a good look at everything inside the program and inside the athletic department, there were way more things to fix than we even anticipated," he said before pausing for a few moments.

"The only thing that gets me frustrated as a leader is when I can't get someone to change. We try to do everything we can to help our student-athletes as a coaching staff and as a department. We're going to keep working, teaching, inspiring and showing guys the right way to do things. When you have the right people you're doing all that for, things get better pretty fast.

"Unfortunately, there's always a point with some guys where they just won't respond. Honestly, the best thing to do at that point is move on and try to help the kids who are trying to be helped. That's our staff's approach."

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-sleep-isn-t-coming-easily-for-frost/article_6e0dec12-a676-5097-8f0f-a73787440e71.amp.html

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I get that playing freshman isn't ideal and that they aren't physically or mentally ready, but if you're not challenging for even bowl games and there are upperclassmen by the sound of it undermining the coaching staff why are they f#&%ing playing? The davis twins tell frost to go f#&% himself and stille, thomas and rogers dont even get more snaps? What kind of message send and culture does that build with the young guys? 

Frost himself said this team would be dangerous this season. They're not. How many year 0's does frost get? The first two years he had mutinous upperclassmen. The next few years the team will be young and inexperienced because they wouldn't play them over guys who didn't give a s#!t. On top of that the schedule is brutal. I guess That's why they gave him a 7 year deal because there doesn't seem to be a chance in hell they will be competitive before that.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I get that playing freshman isn't ideal and that they aren't physically or mentally ready, but if you're not challenging for even bowl games and there are upperclassmen by the sound of it undermining the coaching staff why are they f#&%ing playing? The davis twins tell frost to go f#&% himself and stille, thomas and rogers dont even get more snaps? What kind of message send and culture does that build with the young guys? 

Frost himself said this team would be dangerous this season. They're not. How many year 0's does frost get? The first two years he had mutinous upperclassmen. The next few years the team will be young and inexperienced because they wouldn't play them over guys who didn't give a s#!t. On top of that the schedule is brutal. I guess That's why they gave him a 7 year deal because there doesn't seem to be a chance in hell they will be competitive before that.

Let's say all of this is true - the older guys don't buy in to Frost and told him to F himself.

Why wouldn't Frost play Freshmen over those guys who - accepting this as true - clearly haven't bought in?

One plausible scenario - it's a tough league. There are no easy games. Illinois hit us like a ton of bricks. Indiana laid the hurt stick on us. So did Minnesota. 

Why bash up your Freshmen, who are undersized since they just got to this class, and not burn up the bodies of your older players? You're already not going to a great bowl game, and maybe not one at all. You choose to let the older, more experienced guys play and put the mileage on them, and continue to train your younger guys.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Let's say all of this is true - the older guys don't buy in to Frost and told him to F himself.

Why wouldn't Frost play Freshmen over those guys who - accepting this as true - clearly haven't bought in?

One plausible scenario - it's a tough league. There are no easy games. Illinois hit us like a ton of bricks. Indiana laid the hurt stick on us. So did Minnesota. 

Why bash up your Freshmen, who are undersized since they just got to this class, and not burn up the bodies of your older players? You're already not going to a great bowl game, and maybe not one at all. You choose to let the older, more experienced guys play and put the mileage on them, and continue to train your younger guys.

Allowing guys to play who hypothetically told you to go "f yourself" would be much more detrimental to the program, than the possibility of injuries towards the end of a lost season.

• Plus1 5
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Hope it pays off. It almost seems like they've created two different team. Upperclassmen that play but dont do what is asked of them and the rest of the young guys on the bench or redshirting that are the future.

You're smarter than me and I'm sure everything you said above is true it just seems odd that younger guys that are doing things right cant at least see increased playing time since whoever these upperclassmen are aren't buying in.

• Plus1 1