The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

On 4/19/2020 at 7:49 AM, mrandyk said:

To kill time yesterday I drove around for a while (in Minneapolis and St Paul). Every single park I passed by was packed. The trail looping around a popular lake was a congested nightmare. Basketball courts all had full 3-on-3 or 5-on-5 games happening. I'm not sure that I saw this many people at these locations at any point last year.

I've largely applauded our governor's response to the crisis, closing "non-essential" businesses early (you can't convince me that Cabelas and certain others are essential), but I have been vocal in complaining that the parks are still open. Everyone is going to flock to wherever they are allowed to go. If we are actually going to shut things down let's do it right and not leave pockets for people to flock to.

Our house has site lines to a high school's practice fields.  On nice days there are upwards of 200 people (mainly HS kids, some families) there and it looks to me that kids are holding mock lacrosse, soccer, football, etc practices.  The school district has posted signs and sent emails/tweets/etc not to have "group athletic events", but no one obeys.  Hell there is a segment in our neighborhood that has a block party every evening with all of their kids running around playing while the parents sit/stand around and drink.

It was told to me by a member of the Hennepin County sheriff's office that the MN stay at home order is not enforceable and the police can't do anything to break up gatherings like that.

• Plus1 1

This is all very frustrating from all sides.

First, you have the people who are off work or own businesses that have been shut down and they are frustrated.  Many times, people don't know how to vent that frustration and they take it out on the people who made those decisions.

Then, you have people who CAN work or are required to work because the are "essential" and they are very frustrated because they are put in danger or are forced to be away from family.

I have the feeling things are going to get rather ugly.  Sad thing is, we don't have a leader that's willing to calm the waters.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is all very frustrating from all sides.

First, you have the people who are off work or own businesses that have been shut down and they are frustrated.  Many times, people don't know how to vent that frustration and they take it out on the people who made those decisions.

Then, you have people who CAN work or are required to work because the are "essential" and they are very frustrated because they are put in danger or are forced to be away from family.

I have the feeling things are going to get rather ugly.  Sad thing is, we don't have a leader that's willing to calm the waters.

This is an interesting discussion mirroring what you're talking about: