Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I just don't see Nebraska venturing outside the Big Ten to play games without express approval from all the entities that own a piece of our rights. And that's a LOT of entities. 

If we play, we play in the Big Ten, and we play whatever teams are willing to suit up. 

Seems like a very unnecessary risk to try and set up a schedule without the blessing of the Big Ten, no matter how much it makes sense to play our old Big XII foes, NDSU, etc.

We'll either play a Big Ten season or be at the mercy of what the Big Ten lets us do. There's just no universe in which it makes sense to risk ticking off the conference and potentially getting booted for a pandemic season's worth of games.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, knapplc said:

1940s Americans lived with rationing, gas punch cards, rubber shortages, copper drives, victory gardens, blackouts, loss of sports, and a dozen other privations.

2020 America is asked to wash their hands, stay at home and wear a mask when social distancing isn't feasible.

One of those generations took to those strictures with a will. The other is us.

We are not sacrificing. We are selfishly demanding our comforts and entertainment. 

clap.webp

Just now, Archy1221 said:

Oh got it.  So the CNN, NYT, FoxNews, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, WaPo news stories in Feb and March and even into early April about how masks weren’t effective and Covid-19 isn’t as bad as the flu helped the situation!?  The talking head doctors on TV saying masks weren’t effective early on didn’t seed people’s minds about trust.  So the early wrong info about contagion from WHO, CDC made people trust them more.  

Look, we both agree, masks are important, social distance when you can’t wear masks, and protect the most vulnerable.  We disagree on keeping things locked down till a vaccine, and that the US could have stopped this early.  I believe the response could have been better, but we weren’t going to stop it.  Let’s move on to football discussions. 

by the way, You asked for data so have you looked at the data I provided.  Thoughts??  If you have them, let me know if the P&R board. 

Masks were in short supply in March, so Fauci said don't rush out and get masks. No medical experts ever said C19 "isn't as bad as the flu."

Fauci went on record April 3rd stating we should wear masks because they are effective against spread. That's a few weeks after it became a health crisis and anyone using "they said not to wear masks" as an excuse FOUR AND A HALF MONTHS after the fact is peddling a false narrative. 

If you don't trust the CDC or WHO, who do you get your information from? Because those are the world experts. If you don't allow for early mistakes and forgive that they may need to correct themselves, you're never going to trust any source, anywhere, ever. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Masks were in short supply in March, so Fauci said don't rush out and get masks. No medical experts ever said C19 "isn't as bad as the flu."

Fauci went on record April 3rd stating we should wear masks because they are effective against spread. That's a few weeks after it became a health crisis and anyone using "they said not to wear masks" as an excuse FOUR AND A HALF MONTHS after the fact is peddling a false narrative. 

If you don't trust the CDC or WHO, who do you get your information from? Because those are the world experts. If you don't allow for early mistakes and forgive that they may need to correct themselves, you're never going to trust any source, anywhere, ever. 

My doctor says I'm overweight and should consider modifying my diet to ward off health concerns.

My wife says I'm well fed and still make her happy.

I don't know who to believe!!! :ahhhhhhhh

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I just don't see Nebraska venturing outside the Big Ten to play games without express approval from all the entities that own a piece of our rights. And that's a LOT of entities. 

If we play, we play in the Big Ten, and we play whatever teams are willing to suit up. 

If we do venture out (or allowed to venture out), how much of a vig will the Big Ten take?

Just now, bugeater17 said:

If we do venture out (or allowed to venture out), how much of a vig will the Big Ten take?

do you think it is wise for Frost to advocate going it alone and playing whomever?

is he speaking out of turn here?

10 hours ago, Rochelobe said:

A driving reason for why the US response sucks is that there is no US response.  We tried to work it as 50 different countries, yet each of those "countries" did not have the resources (after the administration took a large amount of PPE originally destined for the states).  Had there been a comprehensive response from the federal government - which is basically what happened in virtually every other country that has started to resume some aspect of normalcy, the probable result is that the US would have lower death count and be more likely to be playing football this fall.

So, the arguments about how the US is "different" really gets old.  Yes there are some differences, but there is a mechanism in place within the constitution that says the feds can step in to certain types of emergencies.  That did not happen in the US. 

So if everything is different in terms of how the virus affects the US are you implying that the biology of the virus is unique and different in the US and that is ?  That proven scientifically based methods used in other countries will not work in the US?  What other things don't work the same in the US?  Chemistry? Engineering?  Or is it only the virus?  Please elucidate.

political and those driving an agenda.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

That's my first question as well.

The first consideration is how the games would be monetized. There has to be money (probably big(ish) money) on the table in order to really consider playing otherwise it's not actually worth it. 

I think it would be really obnoxious if NU worked things out on our own and then others grabbed money out of the "product" we created. At the end of the day though, I still think this is all fantasy and none of it will happen tbh.

• Plus1 1

I don't think it's realistic AT ALL that we would venture outside the Big Ten. There are WAY too many entities that own a chunk of us, from the Big Ten to BTN to Fox, ESPN, etc. Same with any teams we potentially play from other conferences.  

Then there's the logistics of getting those games set up, drafting TV contracts, etc. 

There's no way this is handled in a couple of months. The legal negotiations could drag on over a year.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Seems like a very unnecessary risk to try and set up a schedule without the blessing of the Big Ten, no matter how much it makes sense to play our old Big XII foes, NDSU, etc.

We'll either play a Big Ten season or be at the mercy of what the Big Ten lets us do. There's just no universe in which it makes sense to risk ticking off the conference and potentially getting booted for a pandemic season's worth of games.

I can't imagine what legal issues are involved if the Big Ten cancels but then doesn't allow a team to go play someone else.  So, basically they are saying, we aren't comfortable having everyone play....so no-one can play.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yet here we are with people saying the administration has made mistakes and not allowing for those early mistakes.   Do I trust WHO?  Not on COVID-19, not with how they handled China and early data coming from China.  
WHO is an org that downplayed COVID initially. Their funding largely depends on China and they acted accordingly unfortunately. 

There were countless news stories in February and even into March saying the flu was more worrisome than Covid-19 and the people interviewed were medical experts.  The stories ended up being wrong, the President was wrong when he said it also, but to say those stories don’t exist is just flat wrong.  COVID is a very serious disease but also not as deadly as medical experts said it was back in April and May.  As more data comes in, we learn more about the disease.  
We now know the IFR is roughly .25-.85%.  higher than the flu death rate, but not the 3-5% CFR news stories like to run with.  

I don’t know why people won’t wear masks indoors after this much time has gone by.  And I also don’t know why you keep acting like I advocate for no masks?  
And Trump also said at the time that it probably makes sense to wear masks for a period of time when Fauci made his comments in April.  
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/marleycoyne/2020/03/31/should-americans-wear-masks-outside-the-house-dr-anthony-fauci-now-says-maybe/amp/

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Since I use quick type on a mobile phone, I could care less about hitting the apostrophe button, but enjoy life’s little pleasures of pointing out grammar mistakes on messages boards and social media.  Everyone has to have something that makes them feel proud. 

Glad you could care less. That means you care.

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don't think it's realistic AT ALL that we would venture outside the Big Ten. There are WAY too many entities that own a chunk of us, from the Big Ten to BTN to Fox, ESPN, etc. Same with any teams we potentially play from other conferences.  

Then there's the logistics of getting those games set up, drafting TV contracts, etc. 

There's no way this is handled in a couple of months. The legal negotiations could drag on over a year.

The way it sits, if the Big Ten cancels, those networks have nothing to show.  I would guess they would be really quick to cut a deal with us and whatever team is playing.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can't imagine what legal issues are involved if the Big Ten cancels but then doesn't allow a team to go play someone else.  So, basically they are saying, we aren't comfortable having everyone play....so no-one can play.

Kind of?

To me it seems a bit akin to going to an out-of-network healthcare provider and demanding they treat you for your regular in-market rates.

It's a ridiculous demand and the ridiculous amount of time spent hammering out contracts and legal agreements were done to prevent that very event from happening.

• Plus1 2