Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

If I'm missing something, please enlighten me, but this is my take away from all the Big 10 Back rumors...

Select coaches & AD's are going rogue attempting to create a solution for Kevin Warren & Co. &/or attempting to force their hand.  

They will probably have as much success as Warren did in leading all of CF into the abyss.   

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

From Bucknuts forum .....

I think it's a ploy to appease the villagers amassing at the gates with their pitchforks. And they'll pull the rug out from under them again and push the spring season. Warren saves face and then get's his way. A wolf in sheeps clothing!

Totally agreed

In fairness to all parties, I don't think a canceled football season is "getting his way."  Nobody wanted a global pandemic. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

I think not global pandemic but USA only.  I looked up COVID graphs, Europe countries and even Canada was almost zero daily deaths since early July.

Well yeah, and they got there with some extreme canceling, including sporting events. In the meantime India and most of South America has spiked hugely.

The gist from some folks is that the egghead beancounters of the University world might actually enjoy canceling sports, but I think the institutions are just freaked out about kids dying on their watch and will change their minds if the prevailing sentiment helps cover their a$$.  

Also: the money.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well yeah, and they got there with some extreme canceling, including sporting events. In the meantime India and most of South America has spiked hugely.

The gist from some folks is that the egghead beancounters of the University world might actually enjoy canceling sports, but I think the institutions are just freaked out about kids dying on their watch and will change their minds if the prevailing sentiment helps cover their a$$.  

Also: the money.

B1G still searching for a perfect solution that doesn't exist. Start in September, you risk an outbreak and a season cancellation - and on top of that possible lawsuits and the optics aren't great. All that being said you gave the fans, players, coaches and ADs what they wanted - and they'll be happy you tried. 

Start in the spring, MAYBE there will be viable treatments that make the virus less deadly, maybe immunity at the community level greatly drops the amount of cases. You still give the players, coaches, ADs, and fans a season - with the possibility of it being a safer environment. But on the other end, maybe it's not any safer to play in the spring, you are asking kids to squeeze two full seasons into a year.

Judging by the B1Gs behavior, a November season seems the most likely to me. It will allow them to appease all parties. Players, Coaches, ADs, Fans - guess what we played fall football! Presidents, University leadership worried about a possible outbreak, lawsuit - guess what we have a full month to see if the SEC, Big 12, ACC have any issues - and if they do we can pull the plug and save face while the rest of them have egg on their face. 

5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

... on the other end, maybe it's not any safer to play in the spring, you are asking kids to squeeze two full seasons into a year.

This is why it should not happen. Especially if the other three P5 conferences succeed. 
The big 3 will be having Spring ball with the recruits the Big Ten loses to them before singing day. I will be watching the NCAA tourney. The kids will have no reason to play. Makes no sense unless everyone does it, and we know the SEC, ACC and Big 12 will not be doing it. They will be pushing through a fall season and see how far they get.

1 hour ago, nic said:

This is why it should not happen. Especially if the other three P5 conferences succeed. 
The big 3 will be having Spring ball with the recruits the Big Ten loses to them before singing day. I will be watching the NCAA tourney. The kids will have no reason to play. Makes no sense unless everyone does it, and we know the SEC, ACC and Big 12 will not be doing it. They will be pushing through a fall season and see how far they get.

Seems like a recruit could early-sign in December, early-enroll in January and be immediately eligible for a spring season.  Although it would have to be one very special athlete to just go into college ball with minimal preparation.

• Plus1 1