Unpopular Opinions: Husker Edition

8 hours ago, ZMagers22 said:

That feeling you get when everyone just ignores what you think is a controversial post. :flush

It might be controversial but not realistic. With conference affiliation teams aren’t getting relegated. 
Maybe if you had said NU should get relegated that would warrant a response, but then you’d need to explain what the tiers would be and what warrants relegation when it’s impossible for all the teams to play each other.

Part of me wonders if Pelini should have been retained through the 2017 season?      I think the culture fit from Pelini/Frost would have been more seamless.   Obviously the roster makeup would be different for Frost.

I wonder what the records would have looked like from 2015-2017?   Would it more of the same (9-4)?  Would the record start to get worse (I’m of that belief)?   Would he have a breakthrough season (unlikely)?

If anything after what would be his 10th season, the optics would be better for 2/3 of the above scenarios.    Nebraska could say that after a decade they were ready to go in a new direction (change from the staleness which was what the Pelini era became).

3 hours ago, OH HSKR FAN said:

Part of me wonders if Pelini should have been retained through the 2017 season?      I think the culture fit from Pelini/Frost would have been more seamless.   Obviously the roster makeup would be different for Frost.

I wonder what the records would have looked like from 2015-2017?   Would it more of the same (9-4)?  Would the record start to get worse (I’m of that belief)?   Would he have a breakthrough season (unlikely)?

If anything after what would be his 10th season, the optics would be better for 2/3 of the above scenarios.    Nebraska could say that after a decade they were ready to go in a new direction (change from the staleness which was what the Pelini era became).

I don’t think anything with a Pelini can be smooth or seamless. . 

• Haha 1

Pelini's offenses (after year 1) were generally pretty good.  His last one was the best by some margin. 

Despite the hype, Riley's offenses were tanking to the point where they were two scores worse (once his got "his quarterback).

Frost actually made significant progress in year 1 before a regression last year.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Just think how much worse those 2009 2010 offenses would have looked with the 2019 kicking game at the helm.

Imagine what would have happened in those years if we had anyone other Zac Lee running the offense. If Pelini would of had his last couple years offenses with those defenses, the sky would have been the limit!

On 6/9/2020 at 9:39 PM, teachercd said:

I am still amazed at how he failed up so far.

When he was a lot younger, he was moving up the college ranks pretty well and ended up a HC.  There were some major programs interested in him at the time.

I'm assuming the Coach Riley we witnessed was much less effective than the one he was in his 20s and 30s.

37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

When he was a lot younger, he was moving up the college ranks pretty well and ended up a HC.  There were some major programs interested in him at the time.

I'm assuming the Coach Riley we witnessed was much less effective than the one he was in his 20s and 30s.

He had a decent run from 2006-2009 snagging 9 wins/year, stunk for 2 years and then bounced back in 2012 where they got as high as #7 in the polls.  Granted, I'm not sure how much of that was Riley or the fact that he had some absolute ballers during that time like the Rodgers brothers, Brandin Cooks, Markus Wheaton (he had 3 of those dudes at the same time!!) plus Mannion at QB.

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He was slightly above .500 as a head coach in his 20s and 30s.

Shocking, I know.

He wasn't a HC in his 20s.  He was hired at his first HC position with in the CFL at 34.  In the next 4 years, he won two grey cups.  

So....not sure where you're getting he was a .500 HC in his 20s and 30s.

My comment was more on his rise through as an assistant to get into the HC ranks.  

20 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

Imagine what would have happened in those years if we had anyone other Zac Lee running the offense. If Pelini would of had his last couple years offenses with those defenses, the sky would have been the limit!

On paper you'd think so, but Beck didn't have the skill to be able to keep that production up when it mattered the most. We'd have the horses, but his scheming and rhythm as a playcaller would definitely prevent us from reaching that sky.

Also, we had the most electric offense in the country in 2010 until Taylor got hurt.

• Plus1 1