Northwestern Takeaways

BIG ERN

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Well, we had 442 yards of offense. We had 43 carries and averaged 5.2 yards per carry. So broadly speaking Frost did some good stuff calling plays. Problem is, 7 of our 13 damn points from those 442 yards came off a 1 play, 4 yard drive because Farmer puts the ball on the 4.

So I guess my takeaway, if I combine those stats with the eyeball test, is that he leaned on the run game pretty heavily...but our guys couldn't execute the running game in the red zone. 2nd & goal from the 2 and we can't punch Dedrick in there.

If we get Dedrick in there on that one and hadn't missed the field goal maybe we win. But either way we suck in the red zone, our team sucks in general, and I'm not even feeling all that confident that starting Luke makes us that much better...because we'll still be as impotent as a Nevada state boxing commissioner in the red zone.

Great points.  Any suggestions? We truly seem like a Frankenstein scheme....All the parts are there, but they don't work, fit or look good...

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Great points.  Any suggestions? We truly seem like a Frankenstein scheme....All the parts are there, but they don't work, fit or look good...

Reminds me of that Johnny Cash song “I got it one piece at a time”

but at least that car ran. 

8 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think the bottom line is until we can stretch the field and get some more explosive plays we will struggle to get into any kind of rhythm offensively..

5 hours ago, lo country said:

Where to begin....

The front 7 is solid.  I like Luke and Will as the ILB. Henrich has to play as well.   

JoJo continues to just play solid ball

I'd start Farmer and Williams at safety

ST is still not special

At least we have a FG kicker this year

Martinez vs Luke

Luke is a fast blinker.  He might no go through all his progressions, but he reads, rips or runs....That's the mojo that makes Frost's O go.......He is a decisive runner and his passion seems to rub off when he's out there. His ceiling IMHO is higher.  Martinez has regressed. Smothers looked like a grown a$$ man on the bench between them both.

Frost refuses to lean on the running game, use one play to set up another and I might get banned, but is just of bad a play caller as Becks, Wats, and Langs.....And that's saying something.  Doesn't run with the players he has, but with what he wants.  Another year of square peg meets round hole. Even the announcers were calling out our inability to have deep routes, those to the sidelines etc.....When your 6'8 TE can't win a jump ball, we have a problem.  

TE's are completely non-existent.  On the goal line, line up in a jumbo package with Mills as a FB.......   Challenge the OL and Austin to run the friggin ball in.....

Cincy

Coastal Carolina

Indiana

Rutgers

We are worse than all of them......And much more stars.....and talent......

Sit guys who get penalties on the OL. I'd rather play a guy who can't push and get up 5 yards than the guys who lose us yards.....

Austin talked about  the run game.  I have yet to see it.  

Hickman is AWOL.

Lastly, I have seen some defensive improvement.  Quite a bit honestly.  Chin is not currently the weak link in this chain.....

I mean we did have a back-up guard in the game and have to shift the line. Not sure that benching guys for 2s is gonna help us. This is a very hot take. What if the backups also commit penalties? What is the point?

Just my take on things. 

We are where we are, and its not as bad as it may seem.  I'm not an apologist by any means, but when he took the job Frost had a tall task ahead of him.  With the roster and overall culture overhaul that had to take place, the 2018 season wasn't year 1, it was year 0.  That makes 2020 year 2.  Through 2 games, our defense has looked significantly better than it did last year.  The D actually kept us in the game, and damn near won it today.  Obviously the offense has to make some significant strides, and has to make them fast.  I'm done hearing about how close the young talent is, especially at WR, or how they're close to turning the corner.  It's the coaching staff's job to bridge the gaps.  We're not playing exceptionally fast in terms of tempo, so even if it takes having to signal in a guys route to him from the sideline every play, do it.  We have the talent to win in this conference, but the coaching staff is going to need to adjust in order to get the best players on the field.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

I mean we did have a back-up guard in the game and have to shift the line. Not sure that benching guys for 2s is gonna help us. This is a very hot take. What if the backups also commit penalties? What is the point?

Just my take on things. 

Just to let them know that it is unacceptable.  I should clarify, not for the game, but a series or plays.  Accountability.