Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

2 hours ago, CyHawk said:

Adrian Martinez has become a bit of a scapegoat for what can be described as a horrible coaching staff. Most coaches have been replaced, but there is very little chance that they will make any difference at all. Without replacing the guy on top (Frost) I am afraid that you will end up with the same product on the field.

I watched many press conferences and Martinez never blamed anybody for any shortcomings. He shouldered the blame and took it in stride. Not many "kids" can go into a program at a time with such high expectations and deal with all both on and off the field. He gave Nebraska everything that he had. It is a shame that he is the one that will not be back next year, but I guess that is how it works. Hell, I wish that he would have come to Iowa!

I just don't think Frost had the confidence in Martinez to be the guy to save his job.

I don't think he's certain the answer is out there in the transfer portal, but he is certain Martinez wasn't the answer.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

19 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I just don't think Frost had the confidence in Martinez to be the guy to save his job.

I don't think he's certain the answer is out there in the transfer portal, but he is certain Martinez wasn't the answer.

Going into year 5, with your QB being the leading rusher for 3 of the previous 4 (IIRC), having a significant number of TO's, realizing that in a FBS leading loss in 1 score games he was your QB, and no winning season in the previous 4, change was needed at the QB position.  No debating his character, toughness, drive, positive qualities etc, but I think even AM felt it was time for a change.  As you mentioned, I am unsure if Frost truly knows the answer to solve (save) his issues, but whatever the solution, it didn't involve AM.  I'd love him to finally get his redemptive win, winning season and bowl at KSU.  Dude deserves better than he got here.  

I guess in the moral victory category, aside from blowout losses, I am unsure have 2022 can be any worse than the previous 4...

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

The one you saw the last four years 

So which one was that, because you seem to be saying we didn't have the right QB for it. Somehow Adrian is an athlete now and not a QB, even though he's purely a QB and has all the intangibles you look for in a QB.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

So which one was that, because you seem to be saying we didn't have the right QB for it. Somehow Adrian is an athlete now and not a QB, even though he's purely a QB and has all the intangibles you look for in a QB.

That’s correct, we needed a pass first QB who understands the position better.  

Adrian did not/does not have the intangibles to be a great QB.  He gets by on his athleticism until critical game situations arise and helps play reflects that.  He can’t read defenses all that well, was turnover prone and not very good throwing the ball in the red zone.  This offense is QB reliant and needs a QB that can do those things first and foremost.  

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
36 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Adrian did not/does not have the intangibles to be a great QB.  He gets by on his athleticism until critical game situations arise and helps play reflects that.  He can’t read defenses all that well, was turnover prone and not very good throwing the ball in the red zone.  This offense is QB reliant and needs a QB that can do those things first and foremost.  

Ok, so what was/is this offense then? You don't want an athletic QB?

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Ok, so what was/is this offense then? You don't want an athletic QB?

I want a pass first QB and if he happens to be on the athletic side then great.   In game consistency is very important for the passing game and then the offense overall.  AM was anything but consistent in the passing game which hampered the offense overall in critical moments. 

Again, the offense is/was what you saw the last four years.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, The Dude said:

That moment when Adrian went down hard and stayed down against michigan state?...  Seeing him on the ground looking obviously hurt, I thought Smothers should play the entire game.  Do or die, doesn't matter.  Frost should have rolled with Smothers with confidence and big balls.  The whole team (and us) would have easily understood the situation. 

What happen to "no fear of failure" preaching? 

Frost lost me a little bit that night.  More like "no fear of failure as long as you are my every weekend starter"

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I want a pass first QB and if he happens to be on the athletic side then great.   In game consistency is very important for the passing game and then the offense overall.  AM was anything but consistent in the passing game which hampered the offense overall in critical moments. 

Again, the offense is/was what you saw the last four years.  

What is that offense? You smarted off earlier about someone not knowing what QB for what system. So what is our system? Sounds to me like you want a pocket passer for some reason.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ZRod said:

What is that offense? You smarted off earlier about someone not knowing what QB for what system. So what is our system? Sounds to me like you want a pocket passer for some reason.

Sounds to me by the words I write that I want, and by the recruitment of Haarberg and Torres, SF wants, a starter who is more of a pass first QB:dunno    If pocket passer is the label you want to use so be it.  Hopefully that’s not smarting off too much for your taste.  

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I'm going to be really fascinated to see how Adrian does down at KState (assuming he's healthy).  KState runs a similar QB focused offense so this is potentially a great litmus test on how we can assign the blame 'pie' if Adrian does end up doing well down at KState.

• Plus1 3
26 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I'm going to be really fascinated to see how Adrian does down at KState (assuming he's healthy).  KState runs a similar QB focused offense so this is potentially a great litmus test on how we can assign the blame 'pie' if Adrian does end up doing well down at KState.

My intended reply was to say he will not be playing Michigan, Oklahoma, Michigan State, OSU or Wisconsin.  But playing against good teams wasn’t the problem. It was the Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois games that are unexplainable. I don’t even know who’s left in the B12, but I would think the caliber is closer to the latter list