What is the future of the Republican Party?

On 4/12/2022 at 6:20 AM, Archy1221 said:

I could argue that if a Freshmen Senator is mentally unstable to create policy good enough to have 60 Senators approve it, him creating policy isn’t much of a worry.    His vote for policy created by the Leadership Team is valuable though and something Warnock doesnt deliver that Walker would.  

Sorry it took so long to respond to this. So, the bolded seems pretty concerning (if I'm interpreting this correctly). Are you saying his greatest value is being able to vote for Republican policies because Warnock won't and all the other personal stuff is... irrelevant? Mostly less relevant?

I guess it's about where we draw the line. I realize much of his well-documented personal issues happened 10+ years ago, but some of them have not. He's currently being sued over an alleged $200,000 debt and it was only two years ago that he talked about some nonsensical COVID mist that kills the disease in your body. His past is littered with some whack-a-doodle stuff.

As far as his mental disorder, I don't think a guy should be punished eternally for something like that, however it is absolutely relevant for someone who wants to hold public office... and by and large, most people don't get 'cured' of that disease. They have to just treat and manage it. Based on past and more current evidence, he's clearly prone to instability... both financially and personally.

Much like the California democrat who is allegedly battling memory issues right now, we need the right people to represent us. Walker isn't and shouldn't be that guy IMO.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Enhance said:
On 4/12/2022 at 6:20 AM, Archy1221 said:

Sorry it took so long to respond to this. So, the bolded seems pretty concerning (if I'm interpreting this correctly). Are you saying his greatest value is being able to vote for Republican policies because Warnock won't and all the other personal stuff is... irrelevant? Mostly less relevant?

I hope so say this the correct way to convey what I’m thinking….

I am of the opinion that very few politicians are policy wonks and actually create worthy policy of voting on.   Many have ideas that worthy of debate and discussion and some of those ideas make it into policy proposals made by the policy wonks.  That is where most politicians fit into the equation.   Then you have a small percentage of politicians that don’t really do anything but show up for votes, raise money, and hide under the radar hoping to get elected.   

Walker certainly doesn’t seem like a policy wonk and neither does his Dem opponent.  I don’t know about the other GA (R) primary candidates.  Going to finest though in next post became of this Mobil site problems.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I guess it's about where we draw the line. I realize much of his well-documented personal issues happened 10+ years ago, but some of them have not. He's currently being sued over an alleged $200,000 debt and it was only two years ago that he talked about some nonsensical COVID mist that kills the disease in your body. His past is littered with some whack-a-doodle stuff.

As far as his mental disorder, I don't think a guy should be punished eternally for something like that, however it is absolutely relevant for someone who wants to hold public office... and by and large, most people don't get 'cured' of that disease. They have to just treat and manage it. Based on past and more current evidence, he's clearly prone to instability... both financially and personally.

Much like the California democrat who is allegedly battling memory issues right now, we need the right people to represent us. Walker isn't and shouldn't be that guy IMO.

I think Walker could fit into scenario 2 and provide ideas or opinions into the Leadership team when policy is being discussed.   He brings it from an African American perspective which adds value, his lives experiences when talking mental healthcare funding, etc…

And yes, a vote is very valuable when it is 1 of only 100.  How many times has legislating squeaked by, by a single vote in recent history.  

So no, hopefully a US Senator is not “just a vote”.  But a vote is a very valuable thing and for anyone to discount that, is being disingenuous  IMO.  

If any politician is unable to carry out their duties because of mental issue, they shouldn’t be in the office anymore.   So if Walker is still having problems that would prevent him from serving, then he isn’t a better option than Warnock by default. No one has shown that as of yet, which is why he is the better option as I’ve said.   

As far as the lawsuit goes, it hasn’t been adjudicated yet, and the story brought up other lawsuits that he won.   So who’s to say he won’t win this one too?   You can practically sue for anything, but it doesn’t mean you will win.  Even if he loses, it doesn’t disqualify him for office.  It’s just something for voters to look into and figure out why he was sued, why he lost.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

You quite frankly have zero idea what kind of experience and feelings I have towards those with mental illness and your comment about my “newfound concern” is complete bulls#!t and unnecessary.  It would be nice for you to try and make a position argument without the insults, if your capable.   

Again, as always, my responses are based entirely on the words you chose. And your long posting history. 

This seems like the perfect place to get into policy rather than personal attacks. As mentioned, 40 years of GOP (and some Dem) backed policies have gutted the social services that helped treat mental illness and kept people off the street. Would you like to see the GOP step up with a more humane approach and funding for mental illness? 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I hope so say this the correct way to convey what I’m thinking….

I am of the opinion that very few politicians are policy wonks and actually create worthy policy of voting on.   Many have ideas that worthy of debate and discussion and some of those ideas make it into policy proposals made by the policy wonks.  That is where most politicians fit into the equation.   Then you have a small percentage of politicians that don’t really do anything but show up for votes, raise money, and hide under the radar hoping to get elected.   

Walker certainly doesn’t seem like a policy wonk and neither does his Dem opponent.  I don’t know about the other GA (R) primary candidates.  Going to finest though in next post became of this Mobil site problems.  

So to be clear, I don't want to put words in your mouth. But, if the question is this: "Are you saying his greatest value is being able to vote for Republican policies because Warnock won't and all the other personal stuff is... irrelevant? Mostly less relevant?"

And your answer is the above post, then that seems like your answer is yes - his value is soundly grounded in the fact he's a Republican vote. I won't begrudge you your political leanings, but don't you find that disappointing? Or is it just acceptable because it's part of the toxic environment that is American politics?

I don't think anybody here is discounting the value of a U.S. Senator's vote, but the discussion is more about whether or not he's fit to have that vote. Objectively, the answer is at BEST a maybe... and that shouldn't be good enough for 1 of 100 Senators representing 330 million Americans right?

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

OH MY GOD

The deafening silence from the people who speak volumes - or occasionally - in P&R, but who have not spoken against this...

Yeah. Tell on yourself more.

We know you're reading this. Even those of you who never speak here, but toss in your votes.

We hear you. Silent & clear.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The deafening silence from the people who speak volumes - or occasionally - in P&R, but who have not spoken against this...

We know you're reading this. Even those of you who never speak here, but toss in your votes.

We hear you. Silent & clear.

Not silent here. He's a figgin clown. Terrible position.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Enhance said:

So to be clear, I don't want to put words in your mouth. But, if the question is this: "Are you saying his greatest value is being able to vote for Republican policies because Warnock won't and all the other personal stuff is... irrelevant? Mostly less relevant?"

And your answer is the above post, then that seems like your answer is yes - his value is soundly grounded in the fact he's a Republican vote. I won't begrudge you your political leanings, but don't you find that disappointing? Or is it just acceptable because it's part of the toxic environment that is American politics?

I don't think anybody here is discounting the value of a U.S. Senator's vote, but the discussion is more about whether or not he's fit to have that vote. Objectively, the answer is at BEST a maybe... and that shouldn't be good enough for 1 of 100 Senators representing 330 million Americans right?

You may have missed this in my second post to you.

If any politician is unable to carry out their duties because of mental issue, they shouldn’t be in the office anymore.   So if Walker is still having problems that would prevent him from serving, then he isn’t a better option than Warnock by default.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Not silent here. He's a figgin clown. Terrible position.

Yeah, same.  Agreed.  

I also don't understand why anybody on HB message board would feel the need to bait and provoke anyone with this :facepalm:

"The deafening silence from the people who speak volumes - or occasionally - in P&R, but who have not spoken against this...

We hear you. Silent & clear."

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

You may have missed this in my second post to you.

If any politician is unable to carry out their duties because of mental issue, they shouldn’t be in the office anymore.   So if Walker is still having problems that would prevent him from serving, then he isn’t a better option than Warnock by default.

Like if they were mentally unstable?

• Plus1 1