SF/MR/BP/BC/FS/TO/BD Comparison (Article)

Wow.  When you get into Riley and Frost, we truly flat out suck.  And it's not against the OU's of the world.....What's concerning is this quote.  With the offensive production going down each year since he arrived, how do you get it better?  Wholesale schematic change? Staff? Development? Recruiting?  I have no idea.  It's obvious whatever we are doing isn't working......

"What might be the biggest point of concern and of optimism is the offensive output under Frost. He ranks last in scoring in three of the four categories. If the offense can turn a page and start to look more like what he had at Oregon and UCF he may have more of the success as his predecessors."

Good read.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Thank you @FrantzHardySwag for the addition. I was very surprised by the Tier 3 statistics (teams falling between 26-75 in the country). That is where the difference lies between a winning record and bowl appearance versus staying home under .500.

@lo country I hope we're going to see more reliance on the runningbacks to manage the clock and hopefully target the taller receiving group in the passing game. No more touch quotas for one player and a willingness to take 4-5 yards a play instead of hoping for home run plays each possession. We have to be able to grind out drives and manage the game better, we look good when we're able to do that (and of course not turn the ball over in the process). 

"Frost has faced on average 4 top two tier teams per season while Mike Riley squads only played this level of competition 2.67 times per season."

The article called tier two teams 11-25 and the Big Ten West has been killing it lately in that department and I no longer think this is a good thing. It's good for the big ten but it's making getting over the hump a lot harder and recruiting against these teams harder. It doesn't really feel like it's going to go away quickly either. 

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I read this to say Frost and Riley at this point are def worse than Callahan. After 3 years Frost is truly worse than Riley. At least in results. I guess time will tell if we are actually shifting the culture to a winning one or not. I never saw this coming with Frost. 

That's fine if you feel that way.  It hasn't been a good run since Osborne left.  Solich had a few fine seasons with some good players tho.  Then it went downhill his last few years and onward with the rest of them (coaches and teams).  Nebraska, UCLA, Tennessee, Colorado, Miami Fla, and Florida State (to a degree) have not been the same since the 90's ended (and early 2000's).  In the past 5-8 years it's amazing how USC and Texas have been struggling compared to when they kinda dominated for a decade.  Florida hasn't been nearly as good as the Urban Meyer/Tebow years. So, as bad as it has been, we are not alone.  Out of the 8 teams I randomly mentioned, 3 or 4 will eventually rise back into the upper-mid elite status again.  Maybe 5 of these teams will.  I can only hope Nebraska will be one program/team that does. After 3 years with this promising coaching staff, we still have ways to go.  But, more and more time will tell.

6 hours ago, admo said:

That's fine if you feel that way.  It hasn't been a good run since Osborne left.  Solich had a few fine seasons with some good players tho.  Then it went downhill his last few years and onward with the rest of them (coaches and teams).  Nebraska, UCLA, Tennessee, Colorado, Miami Fla, and Florida State (to a degree) have not been the same since the 90's ended (and early 2000's).  In the past 5-8 years it's amazing how USC and Texas have been struggling compared to when they kinda dominated for a decade.  Florida hasn't been nearly as good as the Urban Meyer/Tebow years. So, as bad as it has been, we are not alone.  Out of the 8 teams I randomly mentioned, 3 or 4 will eventually rise back into the upper-mid elite status again.  Maybe 5 of these teams will.  I can only hope Nebraska will be one program/team that does. After 3 years with this promising coaching staff, we still have ways to go.  But, more and more time will tell.

Not being a smart a$$ but elaborate on what is promising with this staff? We have recruited bigger players. We lose a lot. What else do we know at this point? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Not being a smart a$$ but elaborate on what is promising with this staff? We have recruited bigger players. We lose a lot. What else do we know at this point? 

For starters, the defense seems to have become a strength for us again. With the addition of players more fitting the size profiles the staff wants, we will hopefully continue to be good on that side. The offense is a little more shaky but the hope is that larger receivers and lineman should help against the larger fronts seen across the Big Ten, especially our division. We need to rely on a steady running game more often but hopefully the offseason transfers will help Frost craft the offense to balance with the aggressive defense Chins wants to run.

13 hours ago, admo said:

I agree with you that the majority of those listed could rise back into upper-mid elite status.  However, there are two that stick out like a sore thumb.  One in particular with regards to recruiting hotbed.  For all the parity we hear about in college football, isn't it amazing that year in and year out it's almost exactly the same teams in the playoffs?  I'm just hopeful we can become more of a force in the West.      

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, admo said:

It actually does help to realize that there are other blueblood programs with supposedly all the advantages we don't have, who fall into mediocrity or worse and take a while to climb out. Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma had long stints of irrelevance sandwiched between greatness. Ohio State is the only program I can think of that never got down for long in my lifetime.

And if we're getting statistical about it, Nebraska's stretch from 2002 until 2017 wasn't that bad as troughs go. The last four seasons really are the first time we've hit bottom. Even the law of physics says we get better soon.

• Plus1 2