Who needs to go?

ZRod

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Maybe, but it's such a blanket claim with so many unknown variables that it's really hard to argue one way or the other. (Some would argue that AM has crippled Frost.)

All we can really do is judge them both based off their performances and abilities. AM has some accuracy issues and difficulty finding open receivers. He also has a turnover problem, and many of those are on him as much as they are on things outside of his control. I think the real question or debate comes down to what's the biggest root cause.

I saw a lot of open receivers yesterday that AM didn't throw to. I saw bad decisions that four year starters don't make against mediocre defenses. I saw poorly thrown footballs to open receivers that a four year starter should be hitting. Obviously, it's a coaches job to put players in positions to win, but when AM is put into those positions... there's not enough confidence that he's going to make the play. IDK who deserves more blame for it but it's pretty clear at this point that AM can't do what needs to be done at a high enough level.

It is hard for me to argue that. The only thing that I can add is that this issue goes beyond stats, ability, x's and o's, etc. When he came in as a Freshman, I saw some issues that persist today but the way he played was much more free. He was a lot more accurate when he needed to be. As the years have gone by, those things started to fade. All the while, Frost's demeanor and confidence started to wane as well. The pressure is on so much internally that Adrian is carrying not only the pressure of being the QB here, but the pressure of saving Frost. Adrian can make throws and be accurate. When I saw the pass to Toure I saw a scared pass that was aimed in. Something he didn't show in the Spring Game. He was also slower in this game than he showed in the Spring game, and it tells me that he's overwhelmed. I then wondered how much pressure is on this kid beyond what's normal. I know that comes with the territory, but this has become so much about Scott that I think even the players lose themselves when they are here. Culp missing two PAT's tells me that there is an anxiety level beyond comprehension. This team really believed that this was make or break and it hurt them.

I understand it's a privilege to play somewhere with expectations. It just seems like this whole mess became about the well being of Frost and not the kids when they are the ones who have to perform. It reversed and neither are prepared to handle it. 

Everyone asks and wonders if Scott Frost is happy here, but nobody stops to think if the players are. I think the fun of the game has been completely removed from the facilities of Nebraska because it's not about them. It's about the prodigal son, then the boosters and regents, then AD, then his administration, and then the fans, oh and then the players...

The issues that plague us now have been plaguing us since Solich but now they're compounded to the point of all these blunders, and it's so bad that our All conference kicker is freezing up during PAT's. I have a hard time believing Adrian is trash when despite all that's going against him, he flashes moments of brilliance that matches what your eye balls naturally tell you to believe. Four years from now, we are going to be so frustrated by how good of careers our current starters are going to have in the NFL. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

There was a replay clearly showing him driving Sitkowski into the ground. It was the 3rd replay they showed after the following play was run. An elevated view from behind. I too thought it was a bad call until that replay but upon seeing it there was no question it was the right call and an inexcusable play by Tannor. And to add insult to injury he followed up the roughing with an unsportsmanlike conduct to give Ill. another 15 yards. Dumb, dumb, dumb but what we've come to expect from Frost's teams.

And anymore when I watch highlights from the past Blackshirts, I sit there saying to myself….penalty….penalty…..penalty…..

7 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

The Diaco hiring comes to mind.  

Diaco is a perfect example.

There was an Analytics guy, pushed by the Athletic Department, that also had an unusual amount of influence while Mike Riley was here. 

There are numerous people responsible for the downfall of Nebraska Football, many of whom who are not seen or heard on the field. This program isn't going anywhere as long as these people still plague whatever coaching staff works for them. 

• Plus1 4
12 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Who would hire Frost if he is let go? 

I’m not concerned about his well-being, but curious about his career path after being a public failure 

IMO he should live off his buyout and take an analyst job in Sabin's coaching rehab, maybe OC there a while, then he could springboard back into being a HC if he wants. 

Speaking of Sabin's coaching rehab Bama's current OC Bill O'Brien would be a solid candidate to replace Frost. He won at PSU despite inheriting a horrid situation and had a winning record in the NFL

• Plus1 2

On 8/29/2021 at 2:08 PM, BoNeyard said:

Time and current perspective has certainly changed the overall look of Callahan's era, but I think claiming they were a good defensive coordinator away from being dominate is a stretch. Callahan's defense was atrocious and his offense wasn't all that great. He may have recruited well, but our offense wasn't really that great until his final season and that was when our defense was at our worst. The only time I was grateful we had Callahan's offense, and felt it was because of him that we won, was on the road versus Texas AM and we came back and won it.

Also, I think people are giving our defense way too much credit vs Illinois. This defense was going up against a second string quarterback, and allowed Illinois run game to basically do what it wanted when it needed it. The defense allowed Illinois to come out of halftime and drain 9 minutes off the clock and just pound the rock into the endzone. 

I guess the thought process there, is that his offense was good and the players were good enough that when Pelini took over the defense was dominate with Callahans players. My biggest point is that I believe Callahans staff was far less of a wreck than this one. 

On the other hand. If it weren’t for all the bone headed self inflicted wounds the script would look dramatically different. I don’t know if there is any one coach that can fix them. 

On 8/29/2021 at 2:08 PM, BoNeyard said:

Time and current perspective has certainly changed the overall look of Callahan's era, but I think claiming they were a good defensive coordinator away from being dominate is a stretch. Callahan's defense was atrocious and his offense wasn't all that great. He may have recruited well, but our offense wasn't really that great until his final season and that was when our defense was at our worst. The only time I was grateful we had Callahan's offense, and felt it was because of him that we won, was on the road versus Texas AM and we came back and won it.

Also, I think people are giving our defense way too much credit vs Illinois. This defense was going up against a second string quarterback, and allowed Illinois run game to basically do what it wanted when it needed it. The defense allowed Illinois to come out of halftime and drain 9 minutes off the clock and just pound the rock into the endzone. 

You are exaggerating.  And I've seen several post like this.

Nobody said they need to be inducted into the hall of fame.

It's the 1st game of the year.  Against a new HC.  On the road.

The people who give credit to the defense is because they played well.  They allowed 21 points, they kept us in the game, and they were on the field a lot.  They looked the part, got some sacks, covered well, pressured the QB, did a nice job tackling, and forced a turnover.  It was good effort.  They are credit worthy.  

Maybe if they gave up 34 points or something, fine.  But one long drive isn't enough reason to b!^@h.  You want to complain, find out why the Huskers struggled to score, and trailed 30-9 in the 4th.  9 of those points had nothing to do with the blackshirts productivity. 

Bottom line, the defense played good enough for the offense to score enough, to win a game.  You can't ask for anything more than that.  And they will improve from this game too.  So give them credit. 

• Plus1 5
9 hours ago, admo said:

You are exaggerating.  And I've seen several post like this.

Nobody said they need to be inducted into the hall of fame.

It's the 1st game of the year.  Against a new HC.  On the road.

The people who give credit to the defense is because they played well.  They allowed 21 points, they kept us in the game, and they were on the field a lot.  They looked the part, got some sacks, covered well, pressured the QB, did a nice job tackling, and forced a turnover.  It was good effort.  They are credit worthy.  

Maybe if they gave up 34 points or something, fine.  But one long drive isn't enough reason to b!^@h.  You want to complain, find out why the Huskers struggled to score, and trailed 30-9 in the 4th.  9 of those points had nothing to do with the blackshirts productivity. 

Bottom line, the defense played good enough for the offense to score enough, to win a game.  You can't ask for anything more than that.  And they will improve from this game too.  So give them credit. 

Firstly, all I heard years 1 and 2 about NU is not Frost's guys, new HC and new system, as we kept losing.  But for Illinois this is also something against NU's potential for success?  "Against a new HC."  Great, also not Brett's guys...go smash them.  

Secondly, I saw some good things from the D.  Here's the challenge with rightly giving them credit (vs. overstating or understating efficacy):

The first half ended poorly.  The worst way it could have.  The D had played pretty well and the offense blew some chances.  You go into halftime and get some rest, get mad, get motivated, plan for some adjustments from what you have seen with Illinois' Offense.  You know you need a stop for the 1st possession of the 2nd half; Your O is struggling and you need to regain game momentum.  

What happens:

Illinois marches down the field with a 2nd string QB and a won't-sniff-all-BIG-honorable-mention stable of backs and scores a TD.  Easily.  The D wouldn't have been overly tired. They just came out of half renewed...and couldn't get a stop at the most critical time.  Against that offense.  

That's my issue.  

• Plus1 2
On 8/28/2021 at 5:19 PM, ndobney said:

Clearly firing coaches every 3 to 4 years isn't working either we've tried your way that's what's got us here. Starting with the Solich fired. I think we are all past listening to guys like you. He stays regardless

No it just means we have sucked at hiring. Fired solich. Hired a guy who just got fired, hired a guy with no head coaching experience, hired a career 500 coach, hired an inexperienced unproven coach. Not really sure why we are surprised by our results that last 20 years. 

• Plus1 1

On 9/1/2021 at 5:23 PM, Huskers93-97 said:

No it just means we have sucked at hiring. Fired solich. Hired a guy who just got fired, hired a guy with no head coaching experience, hired a career 500 coach, hired an inexperienced unproven coach. Not really sure why we are surprised by our results that last 20 years. 

Callahan and Riley were both hires not supported or vocal from the fanbase. And on paper, those guys should have done far better than what they did at Nebraska.

Bo and Frost were the majority of fans first choice. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, JoeHuskers! said:

Wasn't Lubick supposed to have taken over play calling already?... wasn't that a thing toward the end of last season?

That was supposed to be a thing but Frost said the whole offensive staff calls plays together now or some odd comment where he calls the play but the whole offensive staff has input for what to call. AKA too many cooks in the kitchen. Seriously he should just hand it over to Lubick so he can pay attention to the details of game management. 

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

That was supposed to be a thing but Frost said the whole offensive staff calls plays together now or some odd comment where he calls the play but the whole offensive staff has input for what to call. AKA too many cooks in the kitchen. Seriously he should just hand it over to Lubick so he can pay attention to the details of game management. 

To me (it's seeming) that Scott doesn't have a strong enough supporting cast. At least in some areas. And, that he isn't managing it well enough. There needs to be stronger delegation backed up with more competencies. It doesn't make these people bad people. It's possibly that they don't have enough experiences collectively at this level to function well enough despite their intentions however earnest. Is that unreasonable to consider? It operates in a disjointed way out of sync not firing smoothly. What is so frustrating is that it's fairly close yet so far away at the same time. The guy is overwhelmed attempting to control so many things at once then there's sort of a grasping that occurs. That affects the team's play as well from a mental standpoint. Scott is no dummy. One of his strengths is his creativity. Except, that he has to be the director of creativity through his staff. Highly competent professionals he can trust and then does. More delegating and more "lead managing". It might require permitting his scheme to evolve too. Can it function as is in the Big 10? Is it too sophisticated? Or does it not fit the players he can acquire? Enough of them?  How well can he adjust and adapt and how quickly can it happen? I don't know that he can do it fast enough or how willing he is to do it. It's sometimes less complicated looking from a different perspective. I don't know how accurate this is. It's just sort of an impression I'm getting. 

A good read here on what caused Tom Osborne's staff to successfully work from Trev Albert's perspective. Sorry, I'm new here so if not permitted moderators feel free to omit this or I'll edit it out. 

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/trev-alberts-why-tom-osbornes-staff-worked-through-these-gates

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, M.A. said:

To me (it's seeming) that Scott doesn't have a strong enough supporting cast. At least in some areas. And, that he isn't managing it well enough. There needs to be stronger delegation backed up with more competencies. It doesn't make these people bad people. It's possibly that they don't have enough experiences collectively at this level to function well enough despite their intentions however earnest. Is that unreasonable to consider? It operates in a disjointed way out of sync not firing smoothly. What is so frustrating is that it's fairly close yet so far away at the same time. The guy is overwhelmed attempting to control so many things at once then there's sort of a grasping that occurs. That affects the team's play as well from a mental standpoint. Scott is no dummy. One of his strengths is his creativity. Except, that he has to be the director of creativity through his staff. Highly competent professionals he can trust and then does. More delegating and more "lead managing". It might require permitting his scheme to evolve too. Can it function as is in the Big 10? Is it too sophisticated? Or does it not fit the players he can acquire? Enough of them?  How well can he adjust and adapt and how quickly can it happen? I don't know that he can do it fast enough or how willing he is to do it. It's sometimes less complicated looking from a different perspective. I don't know how accurate this is. It's just sort of an impression I'm getting. 

A good read here on what caused Tom Osborne's staff to successfully work from Trev Albert's perspective. Sorry, I'm new here so if not permitted moderators feel free to omit this or I'll edit it out. 

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/trev-alberts-why-tom-osbornes-staff-worked-through-these-gates

This coaching staff would be one spot lower on most other P5 teams. For instance, offensive and defensive coordinators would be positional coaches as opposed to coordinators. Frost didn't have the coaching network when he was hired to support himself with well experienced coaches, so he stuck with friends and coaches he worked with in his short coaching career. I guess this is the major drawback to hiring a young head coach that still has growing pains to go through. 

But as much as you can point to Frost and his inexperienced coaching staff as a problem, you can go to Riley and his coaching staff and see there is almost zero differences. Riley was a 30 year long coach and all of his assistants had decades worth of coaching, both in college and in the NFL, and what did that get us? Well, it got us here. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1