Josh Pate on Can Nebraska football still be fixed

53 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

A long term proven HC from a proven program?  Feel free to name some names because im blanking on who would fit the bill here and realistically come here if they were already at a solid program

You would be surprised how many ears would perk up when the words "6-7 million dollars a year" are spoken.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

A long term proven HC from a proven program?  Feel free to name some names because im blanking on who would fit the bill here and realistically come here if they were already at a solid program

Every proven HC from a proven program was once a hungry coordinator or assistant at a successful program, or a successful head coach who turned around a struggling program.

You get that guy. Before he gets expensive. 

Outstanding facilities? Celebrity treatment? Hugely diminished expectations? We've got that even before we write the check, which will be considerably lower than the can't miss coach who's only coming for the money, and might not be in the rebuilding mood anymore. 

15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Every proven HC from a proven program was once a hungry coordinator or assistant at a successful program, or a successful head coach who turned around a struggling program.

Outstanding facilities? Celebrity treatment? Hugely diminished expectations? We've got that even before we write the check, which will be considerably lower than the can't miss coach who's only coming for the money, and might not be in the rebuilding mood anymore. 

Even the devoted and reserved Tom Osborne might get a good laugh out of the "celebrity treatment" claim.

And just imagine the reactions from Solich, Callahan, Pelini and Frost......

22 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Even the devoted and reserved Tom Osborne might get a good laugh out of the "celebrity treatment" claim.

And just imagine the reactions from Solich, Callahan, Pelini and Frost......

Head football coach at UNL is the biggest celebrity in the entire state. 

It's a blessing and a curse and appears to be tied to winning.  No one knows that better than Tom Osborne. 

Celebrities get fawned over, given tons of perks, and score prodigious amounts of tail (hey Frank!) but they also have millions of people judging and trolling them. 

The person who leads Nebraska back to relevance will have the state at his feet and will never have to buy his own Runza again. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

totally, id rather go after the hungry guy.  perhaps i misread the poster i was responding to but i read at as go get a guy already established at a p5 school with a good track record already.  i just dont see anyone who fits that bill that would come here.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Head football coach at UNL is the biggest celebrity in the entire state. 

It's a blessing and a curse and appears to be tied to winning.  No one knows that better than Tom Osborne. 

Celebrities get fawned over, given tons of perks, and score prodigious amounts of tail (hey Frank!) but they also have millions of people judging and trolling them. 

The person who leads Nebraska back to relevance will have the state at his feet and will never have to buy his own Runza again. 

If past performance is indicative of future results, the bolded is absolutely false.  Bo brought us back to relevance, and we fired him.  If Solich would have won the NC in either 99' or 01' he still would have eventually been fired.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

If past performance is indicative of future results, the bolded is absolutely false.  Bo brought us back to relevance, and we fired him.  If Solich would have won the NC in either 99' or 01' he still would have eventually been fired.

Yep.

We seriously have so much egg on our face right now for firing Bo. Husker football is not about shaking hands with the other team, or the fans cheering for the other team when they come out of the tunnel...it's about winning.

Any of the other other stuff that happens on top of winning is just an added bonus. I couldn't care less what Frost's demeanor is, or what he says in his pressers, or what Riley or Bo or Callahan or Solich said during pressers.

I'd take back a 9 win Bo Pelini era in a heartbeat.

Back on topic: Nebraska football can still be fixed. It can be fixed by Frost digging deep and figuring out how to pull out a 7-5 season and then go win a bowl game for an 8th win. I highly doubt he's capable of that, but that's what needs to happen.

1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

I would love to see one of you guys go back in time and tell Nebraska fans of 2014 that Bo Pelini's big game embarrassments, historically poor record against ranked teams, zero conference championships, and barely sniffing the back end of the Top 25 was the ceiling for expectations at the University of Nebraska and we should be grateful for it.

If you go back to 2008, you'll find that Bo Pelini was widely celebrated for bringing Nebraska football back to relevance. That doesn't mean his firing seven seasons later was wrong. No more than it was wrong for Youngstown State and LSU to dump Bo after us.

Show of hands: is it now too much to ask that Nebraska compete for conference championships and national rankings? Or would we take 9-4 seasons forever with humble appreciation? 

Call me a dreamer, but I still think Nebraska could be the next Iowa State or Indiana.  

• Thanks 3
On 8/30/2021 at 8:18 PM, teachercd said:

This weird idea that NU can't get "back"

The crazy media and the dorky fans that did all the could to run off Bo and his 9/10 wins and 1st/2nd place division finishes even realize that being "back" is pretty freaking easy.

Frost was a homerun hire that did not work out, it happens.

When Coach Gus Malzahn is here things will be very different.  NU will have the first or second best coach in the conference the second he signs.  

Another UCF HC to Nebraska? You’re joking, right? I mean I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or dead serious, lol.

As bad as I see us play sometimes I still think Frost needs his 5th year. 
damn, 5 yrs at my young age was like “give them time!”  Now as approach my mid 40s, I really want s#!t to happen now lol!! 

but honestly, this yrs schedule was a b!^@h even if we squeaked out a win against Illinoise. I’m hoping we see steady improvement and competitiveness, get that 6th win and bowl game. (I predicted in the vote 8-4, but clearly stated 6-6 would suffice) 
ONE MORE DAMN YEAR in year 5 w a little softer schedule, new AD in year 2, a possible 5 yr stater at QB, 3-5yr OL, and no one giving a F anymore, cuz why would we, pressure off…  I think this year can be okay still. 
Then if at the END of 5 yrs it’s not a grrreat showing, no one would blame us for removing the homegrown golden star. if he moves on during this season or after it, we may never know. 
gotta get some momentum for the full on judgement year of 5. This season is not over by any stretch (better or worse) so let’s just cheer and be there for the players. 

I have zero expectations from here on out so count me as one not adding pressure. Let’s just roll and see how it goes. 

14 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Given illinois is projected to be towards the bottom of the Big10, I honestly dont see how this team reaches 6 and 6 without a drastic turnaround.  If they do, there's no way we get rid of frosty.  At this point, a 6-6 would require wins against a couple of: Michigan/Iowa/Wisconsin... wins there would go a long way to give him 1 more year to figure this s#!t out

I agree. After the Illinois loss it will take a real turnaround to get to 6-wins against this sched, it would mean we FINALLY got some things straightened-out. If Frost manages that somehow he should stick around. IMO he needs to cede control of the O to Lubick. Become a GM type that's really on top of what's going-on with ST's and defense plus helps with some position coaching. 

6 hours ago, I am I said:

As bad as I see us play sometimes I still think Frost needs his 5th year. 
damn, 5 yrs at my young age was like “give them time!”  Now as approach my mid 40s, I really want s#!t to happen now lol!! 

but honestly, this yrs schedule was a b!^@h even if we squeaked out a win against Illinoise. I’m hoping we see steady improvement and competitiveness, get that 6th win and bowl game. (I predicted in the vote 8-4, but clearly stated 6-6 would suffice) 
ONE MORE DAMN YEAR in year 5 w a little softer schedule, new AD in year 2, a possible 5 yr stater at QB, 3-5yr OL, and no one giving a F anymore, cuz why would we, pressure off…  I think this year can be okay still. 
Then if at the END of 5 yrs it’s not a grrreat showing, no one would blame us for removing the homegrown golden star. if he moves on during this season or after it, we may never know. 
gotta get some momentum for the full on judgement year of 5. This season is not over by any stretch (better or worse) so let’s just cheer and be there for the players. 

I have zero expectations from here on out so count me as one not adding pressure. Let’s just roll and see how it goes. 

So say we go 4-8, you still believe he needs a 5th year? When was the last time at a P5 school that a coach had 4 losing seasons to start their career and turned it around in year 5? 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, Danimal said:

I agree. After the Illinois loss it will take a real turnaround to get to 6-wins against this sched, it would mean we FINALLY got some things straightened-out. If Frost manages that somehow he should stick around. IMO he needs to cede control of the O to Lubick. Become a GM type that's really on top of what's going-on with ST's and defense plus helps with some position coaching. 

This is where I am at in terms of the games we have left. Who are we confident in beating? 

Fordham W

Buffalo W

Oklahoma Lol

Michigan State Likely W

Northwestern Likely L

Michigan Likely L

Minnesota Likely L Maybe a toss up

Purdue Most Likely W

Ohio State Lol 

Wisconsin Most Likely L 

Iowa Most Likely L

If we are the team we have been the last 3 years and the first game this year 4-8 seems rather likely. My gut tells me we will have one of those likely L's possibly go our way but that is nothing but gut and I have no tangible reason to believe we win currently. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

So say we go 4-8, you still believe he needs a 5th year? When was the last time at a P5 school that a coach had 4 losing seasons to start their career and turned it around in year 5? 

What coach even gets a year 4 with 3 losing seasons with only limited progress on one side of the ball? Getting a 5th with 4 losing seasons honestly seems like it'd be a first. 

I still think that would be catastrophic for program support, it would start to seriously dwindle.