Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am not sure Moos or anyone believed Frost would struggle as he has.

Nobody, anywhere, did. If you'd have told anyone across the country this is where we'd be four years in, they wouldn't have believed you.

He was considered a home run hire, and the prevailing thought was that Nebraska did well winning Frost from other teams. 

47 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If Frost would leave and take one of those jobs only to have the same success he had at UCF, that would be a huge indictment of if anyone can be successful here.  Top coaches would start wondering can anyone recruit to Nebraska to be successful in a P5 conference and win the way fans expect.

Idk, it would hardly be the first example of this. Some coaches have systems built for the group of 5 that they can't replicate at the P5. Sonny Dykes won at La Tech, Lost at Cal, winning at SMU. Taggert won at USF, Lost at FSU, Winning at FAU. Hoke won at Ball St, Lost at Michigan, Winning at SDSU. 

• Plus1 1

Well for starters, I am not sure Moos or anyone believed Frost would struggle as he has. Regarding Frost's potential future success, I am not sure we can continue to invest in him unless he starts producing results now.  When I said he could be successful down the road, that could be many years away and I don't think this program can afford to be strung along.  Thus, when looking at a new coach, I think prioritizing proven P5 experience should be the top criteria.

I could build a huge list of P5 guys who tanked at a new place after success at another. There just aren't many Sabans or Meyers out there. 

Lets start with Riley, Miles, Beliema, Anderson, etc.  

Just now, knapplc said:

Nobody, anywhere, did. If you'd have told anyone across the country this is where we'd be four years in, they wouldn't have believed you.

He was considered a home run hire, and the prevailing thought was that Nebraska did well winning Frost from other teams. 

I fully agree. Our fan base was united when Frost was hired and nearly everyone thought he would be successful.  I think that is why there is so much division now related to Frost as it's hard for some to acknowledge he has not gotten the job done and therefore to admit being wrong. 

I know I was personally overjoyed when he was hired and I wanted him to succeed, and still do hope he can finish this season strong.  

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Idk, it would hardly be the first example of this. Some coaches have systems built for the group of 5 that they can't replicate at the P5. Sonny Dykes won at La Tech, Lost at Cal, winning at SMU. Taggert won at USF, Lost at FSU, Winning at FAU. Hoke won at Ball St, Lost at Michigan, Winning at SDSU. 

Yep. However my hunch is that it wouldnt be the same as what happened at UCF. Frost captured lightning in a bottle in year 2 at UCF. 

I fully agree. Our fan base was united when Frost was hired and nearly everyone thought he would be successful.  I think that is why there is so much division now related to Frost as it's hard for some to acknowledge he has not gotten the job done and therefore to admit being wrong. 

I know I was personally overjoyed when he was hired and I wanted him to succeed, and still do hope he can finish this season strong.  

I was more excited for the Frost hire than any hire we have had in my life at NU. I thought we were bringing home a true offensive guru that could turn us around and take us back to battling for conference championships. I would have told you by year 2 I was expecting 8+ wins from NU and by year 4 and 5 to be flirting with 10+ wins and taking control of the West. Instead we find ourselves with .500 or less win percentages against all teams in the B1G West. 

6 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I could build a huge list of P5 guys who tanked at a new place after success at another. There just aren't many Sabans or Meyers out there. 

Lets start with Riley, Miles, Beliema, Anderson, etc.  

Riley has always been a .500 coach, and he finished Nebraska at .500 so I don't think it's accurate to claim he "tanked" when coming to Nebraska. He performed up to expectations that were established over many years.

Les Miles did well at Okie State before MANY years of success at LSU.  I am not sure you can count 2 years at a dismal Kansas program to claim he was not successful.

Bielema did well at an established Wisconsin program and then had 3 winning seasons in 5 years at Arkansas which competed in arguably the toughest division in all of football.  If you feel 3 winning seasons in 5 years is tanking, then how would you describe zero winning seasons in 4 years which Frost is on track to do?

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Some recognize the state of the team when he got here and the unforeseeable circumstances he's had to work through while trying to rebuild. 

what unforeseeable circumstances had he had to work through that any other coach hasnt? How was the state of our team any different than another program who fired a coach after 3 years who sucked? 

Let me ask this, if the Huskers had completed their original, regular season last year, went 8-4 and went bowling and this season was going the same. Would we be having this same conversation? 

09/05 Purdue @Rutgers No fall season    
09/12 Central Mich. Illinois No fall season    
09/19 S. Dakota St. Wis­con­sin No fall season    
09/26 Cincinnati @Iowa No fall season    
10/03 @North­western Minne­sota No fall season    
10/10 Illinois @Ohio State No fall season    
10/17 IDLE IDLE      
10/24 @Rutgers @North­western No fall season @Ohio State @Ohio State
10/31 @Ohio State Penn State No fall season Wis­con­sin Canceled
11/07 Penn State IDLE   @North­western @North­western
11/14 @Iowa @Purdue No fall season Penn State Penn State
11/21 @Wis­con­sin @Mich. St. No fall season Illinois Illinois
11/27 Minne­sota     @Iowa @Iowa
12/05       @Purdue @Purdue
12/12       Minne­sota Minne­sota
12/19       TBD TBD
BOWL TBD

We beat Penn St., Purdue, and Rutgers. 

Would have beat S. Dakota State, and Central Michigan. Easy to see at least one more win on that schedule. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Yep. However my hunch is that it wouldnt be the same as what happened at UCF. Frost captured lightning in a bottle in year 2 at UCF. 

Yep, he was gifted a roster with a few NFL guys. And hit an absolute home run at the QB spot. I think he could still build a dang good offense being able to recruit Florida again, and playing in a lesser league. The formula just hasn't worked in the B1G. 

On 10/24/2021 at 5:18 AM, Xmas32 said:

The best I've ever seen the NU offense for 4 quarters in the past decade was the 2014 Holiday Bowl against USC that Tim Beck called.  Beck was masterful that game.

Yep. Tommy Armstrong came alive and the whole unit clicked in a hurry up offense they mastered in just weeks, against some of the top physical talent in the nation. The Husker D couldn't quite hold up its end of the bargain.

That was the first game Tim Beck got to draw up an offense without the oversight of Bo Pelini.

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I don't think there is one Husker fan that thinks he's gotten the job done.  It's the "yet" part that comes after that people disagree with.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

It's not just because he is a part of our history. It is mostly because of how low the other 2 left the program combined with 18 months of pandemic which has rattled the entire college football worlds combined with the actual difficulty that is the Big10 combined with a meat grinder of a 2021 schedule.  There are a lot of moving parts here, and I think the risk of letting a coach building a good thing go too soon far outweighs the risk of letting him prove he is no good in 2022 and cutting bait at that point.

We are running out of excuses to keep Scott Frost, to tell you the truth.

• Plus1 4
  • Enhance locked and unlocked this topic