Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

13 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

What has he actually accomplished to get nearly 10 mill a year. He has a career 16-13 W-L record. Consider me confused if true.

Sounds like they got private funding to foot a lot of that money. 

Alumni Mat Ishbia and Steve St. Andre will donate the private funding to the university for Tucker’s reworked contract, according to "Inside the Locker Room" podcast hosts Brian Mosallam, a former MSU Board of Trustee member, and MSU radio analyst Jason Strayhorn.  University sources confirmed Ishbia and St. Andre as the donors for the new contract.

He'll only be behind Nick Saban :blink: 

• Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

What has he actually accomplished to get nearly 10 mill a year. He has a career 16-13 W-L record. Consider me confused if true.

Took over a team that was 2-5 and got them to 9-1 the following year and in the top 10.  I was going to say, that's a pretty big risk if this is just a flash in the pan but I guess what do they care if it's not their money.  Might as well.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Took over a team that was 2-5 and got them to 9-1 the following year and in the top 10.  I was going to say, that's a pretty big risk if this is just a flash in the pan but I guess what do they care if it's not their money.  Might as well.

Per this he coached the 2-5 record. So 5-7, 2-5, 9-1. 1 winning record out of 3. Kind sounds like Frost. 5 losing. 1 winning. Sorry but for me if you getting $10 million a year you have proven you can sustain success. 

College[edit]

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs
Colorado Buffaloes (Pac-12 Conference) (2019)
2019 Colorado 5–7 3–6 5th (South)  
Colorado: 5–7 3–6  
Michigan State Spartans (Big Ten Conference) (2020–present)
2020 Michigan State 2–5 2–5 7th (East)  
2021 Michigan State 9–1 6–1    
Michigan State: 11–6 8–6  
Total: 16–13
  • Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Per this he coached the 2-5 record. So 5-7, 2-5, 9-1. 1 winning record out of 3. Kind sounds like Frost. 5 losing. 1 winning. Sorry but for me if you getting $10 million a year you have proven you can sustain success. 

College[edit]

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs
Colorado Buffaloes (Pac-12 Conference) (2019)
2019 Colorado 5–7 3–6 5th (South)  
Colorado: 5–7 3–6  
Michigan State Spartans (Big Ten Conference) (2020–present)
2020 Michigan State 2–5 2–5 7th (East)  
2021 Michigan State 9–1 6–1    
Michigan State: 11–6 8–6  
Total: 16–13

Yep, you're right.  I must have blacked out that from my football memory like most things in that regard nowadays.  I would agree but since they didn't have to pony up the money I'm sure they're all about it to not lose him to LSU.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, GSG said:

Not totally related, but Detroit Free Press is reporting that MSU is set to sign Mel Tucker to a 10-year, $95 million extension 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2021/11/17/michigan-state-football-mel-tucker-contract-mat-ishbia-steve-st-andre/8647710002/

Charlie Weis says hi.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, GSG said:

Not totally related, but Detroit Free Press is reporting that MSU is set to sign Mel Tucker to a 10-year, $95 million extension 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2021/11/17/michigan-state-football-mel-tucker-contract-mat-ishbia-steve-st-andre/8647710002/

Well it looks like inflation is affecting the head coaching market too.  Paying $9.5M a year for Tucker seems ridiculous considering he has only been a head coach in college for 3 seasons and the other 2 seasons involved losing records.  

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well it looks like inflation is affecting the head coaching market too.  Paying $9.5M a year for Tucker seems ridiculous considering he has only been a head coach in college for 3 seasons and the other 2 seasons involved losing records.  

If Michigan State wants to do that, let them. It could end up costing them millions in the end. I'm in favor of having teams in conference making mistakes. It makes it easier for NU to compete against them. 

• Fire 1
31 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If Michigan State wants to do that, let them. It could end up costing them millions in the end. I'm in favor of having teams in conference making mistakes. It makes it easier for NU to compete against them. 

Sure I agree this could play to our advantage down the road. I was just commenting that it seems like an odd decision given this is the only season Tucker has had a winning record.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

And now to see what range LSU steps up to the plate with.

.....and USC.

Looks like even Michigan State has resources.

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Considering Deion Sanders is currently the best coach in all of football he should be on the list.

Hold your horses. Sanders has done a great job but he has alot left to prove. SWAC aint the SEC. That said landing 5 star recruits at an FCS program is rare to say the least. Makes you wonder what he could do at a bigger school for sure. Probably headed to FSU before too long though.