Mickey Joseph Hired As WR’s Coach, AHC & Passing Game Coordinator

16 hours ago, Mavric said:

For all the complaining (and firings) on the offensive side of the ball, we were the #22 offense in the country in yards per game last year.

And this is one of the reasons that I felt like Lubick has gotten kind of unfairly tagged as this complete loser. The playbook and play calling was pretty good last year.

I don't see how scheme or play calling being 

The running game not being able to be physical enough inside the red zone really flew under the radar because of the overall catastrophe that the season was. That and turnovers inside your opponent's 50 brings down your points per game by a lot.

But, nobody cares and it's a new staff now anyway. Let's see if the new guys can do any better.

• Plus1 1

21 hours ago, Undone said:

I just don't see how this makes sense, though. I believe all of Frost's classes have ranked in the top 25 except for this 2022 incoming class.

Iowa's rankings aren't as good as ours but with sound coaching and clearly great attention to strength training & fundamentals they pull in decent seasons each year. Illinois hasn't had good recruiting or coaching in yet they've beaten us the past two seasons.

We've had several four star offensive linemen since Frost has been here, some recruited by him and some not - and a couple of them have gone to the NFL so far (Jaimes, Jurgens).

If recruiting classes/on-paper talent tended to really transfer directly to wins, then our situation doesn't prove that at all. The coaching & development has sucked, and the ability to get the players ready for games week to week has sucked even worse.

Scott Frost is a train wreck as a head coach of Nebraska football.

Clearly recruiting rankings aren't an exact science.  There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip.

In terms of actual talent Frost has put on the field, we've been good for about 3 or 4 wins per season.  Not talented enough to beat most of the least talented teams in the conference on talent alone.  At minimum we should expect that if the recruiting rankings were precise. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

In terms of actual talent Frost has put on the field, we've been good for about 3 or 4 wins per season.  Not talented enough to beat most of the least talented teams in the conference on talent alone.  At minimum we should expect that if the recruiting rankings were precise. 

I think we lost three games last year because of catastrophic special teams f***-ups. Probably lost another two because of poor play from Martinez as well, just to get ahead of that one from anybody.   :)

But, we didn't have enough talent on the roster to not botch punt plays, give up kickoff returns, or allow a blocked punt that went for a touchdown?

We also had three players that got NFL contracts in the 2022 draft.

So it just honestly doesn't really add up to me - even though I understand what you're saying.

I think we had enough talent to go to a bowl game last year but the coaching staff failed to prepare their players to pay attention to the details that give you that extra touchdown, down kickoffs inside the opponents' 30 yard line, give the punter enough time & space to punt the ball down the field...the list goes on.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Undone said:

I think we lost three games last year because of catastrophic special teams f***-ups. Probably lost another two because of poor play from Martinez as well, just to get ahead of that one from anybody.   :)

But, we didn't have enough talent on the roster to not botch punt plays, give up kickoff returns, or allow a blocked punt that went for a touchdown?

If we're losing to not very talented teams because of some special teams mishaps, then yeah obviously we're not that talented. 

If you're beating crappy teams 56-17 you wouldn't be too worried about the special teams mishaps.  It's *only* catastrophic because we don't have the talent to dominate the bottom feeders.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 2

On 7/11/2022 at 3:49 PM, Mavric said:

Agree with this.  The only one that now seems odd is Austin as there seems to have been conflict about scheme/style.  It's odd that hadn't been figured out well before a change was made.

Austin's inside-zone was awful.  I am glad they got rid of it.

Four years of wasting handoffs to talented running backs that had to run up the guard's hip - or don't get the ball.  Four years. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2022 at 1:42 PM, Mavric said:

Considering only one team we lost to last year had a record worse than 9-4, and of the other eight, four finished the year in the Top 10 and four more were in the top 30, I think that labeling our opponents as "bottom feeders" is quite the stretch to the point of absurdity.

The three games we won were by a combined score of 136-17 which would seem to qualify as "dominating the bottom feeders."

I guess?  If you think being pushed around by the likes of Illinois and Minnesota and Purdue on a regular basis indicates the program has had adequate talent, enjoy.

The point is on paper we should have the talent to dominate these teams.  In reality, no.

And no I don't think calling them the bottom feeders of the conference is that much of a stretch.  Even if they pull the occasional okay season out of their asses, they're still among the least talented teams in the conference.

And no I don't think our four top ten opponents last year were bottom feeders.  It would be absurd to think that, and you know I don't think that, but I understand why you need to attack that strawman.

9 hours ago, HANC said:

No mention of Manning as he went through about 10 guys. What have I missed 

Hard to say since he was asked in another question and only mentioned 1 of the 2 asked about before moving on as well. He also wasn't going to mention Decoldest it seemed until asked again. I don't know if anything is there with this but I could be wrong. 

We will know about a lot more come fall camp in less than two weeks. 

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Hard to say since he was asked in another question and only mentioned 1 of the 2 asked about before moving on as well. He also wasn't going to mention Decoldest it seemed until asked again. I don't know if anything is there with this but I could be wrong. 

We will know about a lot more come fall camp in less than two weeks. 

Yeah…seems to be someone trying to create drama where there isn’t any yet. 

• Plus1 2