Who should our next HC be?

5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Yeah he was recruiting top 25 classes as Mike Riley - an old man nobody had ever heard of that didn't inspire confidence.

Your obsessive hard-on for recruiting is hilarious 

Well, considering all the teams that have won the national championship during the BCS era have had multiple Top 15 classes including at least 1 in the Top 10 in the years leading up to their championships, and we've won zero championships of any kind during that period, yeah, I'd say it's slightly important.

As for Riley:

2015: #30

2016: #26

2017: #23

He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire in recruiting. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Well, considering all the teams that have won the national championship during the BCS era have had multiple Top 15 classes including at least 1 in the Top 10 in the years leading up to their championships, and we've won zero championships of any kind during that period, yeah, I'd say it's slightly important.

As for Riley:

2015: #30

2016: #26

2017: #23

He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire in recruiting. 

He was also Mike Riley.

Look, there is no realistic path to a national championship for us. Sorry but there isn't. That's not even a knock on Nebraska, although it is harder for us than many. That's more the reality that the top talent is more concentrated than it ever has been (even Oklahoma, as consistent of a top 10 program as you can find over the last decade, isn't even close), and the best course of action for an AD is to get a coach who will build a strong foundation, find success, capitalize on the success (ie, wins turn into exposure turn into higher returns on recruiting), and then wait and hope for the stars to align some year.

It's not hard. Look at the evidence. All of the Nebraska head coaches with brand name value and recruiting hype over the last 20 years failed spectacularly, and all of the coaches who were focused on building found much more success.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Precisely what I mean by the power of a big name. He was able to lure the #1 recruit in the country to friggin' JACKSON STATE.

I don't really hate the idea of Deion for this reason AND he's got a really good support staff around him full of experienced guys. Hard to imagine him outside the ACC/SEC. 

41 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

We have another former Nebraska QB doing very well in the NFL as a HC??  Zac - would you ever consider......

Not a bad thought.

If Frost can't save himself, I personally would like to see us go with a  bit more of a defensive minded coach who will hire a great OC.  

• Fire 1