Who should our next HC be?

5 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

That does not mean I'd be happy long term with MJ as our coach.

How do you know that?

What if he knocks it out the the park the remaining games this year and rebuilds the program to be consistently at or near the top of the West (or nationally relevant when the divisions go away). Not saying that will happen but it is a possibility, this is college football afterall.

Are you saying you will be unhappy with MJ as head coach regardless of how well he might do?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Those search firms are more for the negotiating/contacting than the actual searching IMO.

While this is partially true that they act as an intermediary I believe sometimes they may bring candidates to the table that you may not even be considering.  ie Lincoln Riley.  If I had to guess USC probably didn't start their search with Lincoln Riley as a viable candidate.  But a search firm might say, "I know you have these guys as possible candidates and we will certainly evaluate them, but what if I told you we've contact with ______ coach, and we think we may be able to get him to leave for ______ price.  Then Trev might say, "No kidding, Lane Kiffin? Yea I'd definitely be interested."

4 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I'm sure I'm missing something here, because my brain apparently doesn't seem to be working. But can you, or anyone else point me to where retaining the interim coach has ever worked out? I just see Clay Helton at USC 2.0 here.

Dabo Swinney is the obvious one.  But he's definitely the exception, not the norm.

11 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Let's be honest here--with Wisky in the mix, we're *not* going to get Liepold to Lincoln. 

If Mickey gets the job done (the job being to get this team to a bowl game...or better), he should get the position and we try to keep the current band together to improve (maybe find a full time DC if Busch wants to swing back to being Special Teams coordinator). 

I'm really hoping Mickey knocks this out of the park and not only gets us to a bowl game, but steals one we shouldn't win somewhere. He's doing the right things, saying the right things, he's a great recruiter, *and* he's a former Husker from our halcyon days. How could someone *not* want to root for Mickey to get the job done?*

Honestly, Mickey could potentially be what ScoFro *should* have been if he could have kept his nose out of the co-eds and party scene. 

*Central and Western NE excluded--we know why you're rooting against him. I've already heard it firsthand mixing with folks from GI and parts west. 

What in the HECK does that last line mean? Why make it smaller? Does your anecdote accurately describe EVERYONE in the western 2/3 of this state? Are we ALL like that? What a TRASH statement.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
33 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

What in the HECK does that last line mean? Why make it smaller? Does your anecdote accurately describe EVERYONE in the western 2/3 of this state? Are we ALL like that? What a TRASH statement.

Lots of us out here rooting for Mickey to be successful! 

• Oh Yeah! 4
6 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Lots of us out here rooting for Mickey to be successful! 

Huge difference of wanting him to be successful and clamoring the job is his. 

Like I said some people will just have to be disappointed when he doesn’t get the job.  

He is NOT the answer. Great man and husker forever, but that’s it.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, huskerfan99 said:

Huge difference of wanting him to be successful and clamoring the job is his. 

Like I said some people will just have to be disappointed when he doesn’t get the job.  

If Mickey earns it he deserves it. 

• Plus1 2