Who should our next HC be?

@Red Silk Smoking Jacket I do understand your point to a degree but you have to remember since firing Pelini we have gone 6-7, 9-4, 4-8, 4-8, 5-7, 3-5, 3-9 and were staring down the barrel of a 2 win season in 2022. That is really really bad.

Maybe just about anybody could win 9 a year in Lincoln and we really did just make 2 all time bad hires but I think at this point winning 4 of the next 7 would be pretty impressive given the state of the program.

Again, I could be wrong and it might be way easier than I think but it seems like a tall task for the rest of this season. Anyone who can accomplish it should be on our radar.

• Plus1 5
32 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Maybe just about anybody could win 9 a year in Lincoln and we really did just make 2 all time bad hires but I think at this point winning 4 of the next 7 would be pretty impressive given the state of the program.

Again, I could be wrong and it might be way easier than I think but it seems like a tall task for the rest of this season. Anyone who can accomplish it should be on our radar.

Totally agree. If Illinois was still kind of just going through the motions with Smith and hadn't improved I'd maybe say "it's not that hard" given that Iowa is down.

But it's a tall task. Minnesota & Purdue are both pretty decent teams.

2 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Honestly, I'd be very happy as a fan just to make it to a bowl this year given the circumstances.

I was under the impression that if Nebraska made it to a bowl this year under Frost, we were obliged to be happy and give him another couple years. So if Joseph does so having inherited the dumpster fire and two losses that should have been easy wins, he should earn the same consideration.

Anything is possible right now, but how many of you think six wins and a bowl game is realistic vs. optimistic?  I'm kinda in limbo myself. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Anything is possible right now, but how many of you think six wins and a bowl game is realistic vs. optimistic?  I'm kinda in limbo myself. 

I think we have been humbled and have learned that there are no "Nebraska Should Win" games anymore.   At this point each win is a bonus. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was under the impression that if Nebraska made it to a bowl this year under Frost, we were obliged to be happy and give him another couple years. So if Joseph does so having inherited the dumpster fire and two losses that should have been easy wins, he should earn the same consideration.

6 wins and a bowl….TBH it doesn’t seem extremely realistic. It feels quite optimistic. How bad was Indiana? How much have we actually improved and what is the ceiling given the circumstances? Should become much more clear after another couple games.

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

6 wins and a bowl….TBH it doesn’t seem extremely realistic. It feels quite optimistic. How bad was Indiana? How much have we actually improved and what is the ceiling given the circumstances? Should become much more clear after another couple games.

The optimistic side of me thinks the defense got at least 25% better and could still improve, and any reduction in last week's penalties gives us a better chance — and that's definitely achievable through coaching. Outside of Michigan, every team on the schedule looks capable of turning in a stinker on any given Saturday.

At the very least: I'm more interested in watching this team than I was after the Oklahoma game. 

Something tells me this team is capable of going 5-7, turning in a season that manages to answer no questions.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Honestly, I'd be very happy as a fan just to make it to a bowl this year given the circumstances. That does not mean I'd be happy long term with MJ as our coach. Would be a somewhat similar situation to Luke Fickell and Ohio State in 2011. He did a fine job patching that season together as an interim and guess what...he even took them to a bowl. Ohio State was smart enough to know that didn't just automatically qualify him to get the full time gig going forward as there were other, much more qualified options out there and tOSU had a higher bar than "just get us to a bowl and you're our guy"

(and yes I know Ohio State wasn't in as bad a shape when Fickell took over as Nebraska when Mickey took over)

Issue with this is OSU went 10-2 the previous year and went to the Sugar Bowl and had won the Big 10 going back to 2005. If we were sitting in their position, of course going .500 wouldn't be enough to keep the interim. But we're now 5 years straight of winning no more than 5. We're on the complete opposite ends of the sliding scale.

I am on record saying that if we get a bowl eligible that MJ should automatically be the next guy. The more I think about it, the more that seems a little bit high under the circumstances. I am not sold on MJ based on a win over Indiana, but if this team can’t win three more and get to five, he should be strongly strongly considered. once we lost to a very bad northwestern at a lower level Georgia Southern team, Are bowl possibilities really shrunk. To ask him to take over a hot mess and win five could be almost too much to ask anyone. I am not convinced that if he can get us to five but if he does he needs to be in the top tier of replacement options

• Plus1 2

On 10/5/2022 at 1:39 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

The assumption that Matt Campbell is preferable isn't something I'd hang my hat on, either. 

Agreed. While I think the coaching record of .556 at Iowa State is kinda cool from a gun guys perspective(yes I know the decimal is in the wrong spot) the prospect of a Matt Campbell hire feels like another Mike Riley era in the making.  No thanks