Who should our next HC be?

6 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Great interview wt MJ

Thanks for posting this. Well worth the listen. MJ made some points in my book with this. Knows it’s about recruiting, also talks accountability, player development, and physicality.  This is a recipe for a strong foundation.  Straight shooter is refreshing. If the players buy in we can get some wins here.

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Thanks for posting this. Well worth the listen. MJ made some points in my book with this. Knows it’s about recruiting, also talks accountability, player development, and physicality.  This is a recipe for a strong foundation.  Straight shooter is refreshing. If the players buy in we can get some wins here.

I agree. It was a refreshing interview in comparison to the former coach 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2
37 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I agree. It was a refreshing interview in comparison to the former coach 

Have you listened to his other interviews since getting the interim position?  They've all been pretty impressive.   The first time I thought, "damn this is the guy I want leading my team" was ironically the Oklahoma post game presser.

He doesn't just talk the talk when it comes to accountability.  He's shown he doesn't hesitate to pull guys who are underperforming.  The team can respect him for it because they know he holds himself to the highest standard. 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

So, just trying to keep up here...our new bar is a coach that can get a team to a bowl game? So, like 80 coaches will be acceptable?

Getting this current Nebraska squad to a bowl game isn't the same as getting any ole team to a bowl game though. You really think over half the coaches in FBS could take over the program after GS and still take us bowling? Really? Because if you do you may be...well lets just leave it at that.

• Plus1 6
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Have you listened to his other interviews since getting the interim position?  They've all been pretty impressive.   The first time I thought, "damn this is the guy I want leading my team" was ironically the Oklahoma post game presser.

He doesn't just talk the talk when it comes to accountability.  He's shown he doesn't hesitate to pull guys who are underperforming.  The team can respect him for it because they know he holds himself to the highest standard. 

I hear you - it wasnt a FHCSF type of interview.  He didn't throw players under the bus, or make excuses or say 'we are just this close'. 

29 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Getting this current Nebraska squad to a bowl game isn't the same as getting any ole team to a bowl game though. You really think over half the coaches in FBS could take over the program after GS and still take us bowling? Really? Because if you do you may be...well lets just leave it at that.

Maybe not over half the coaches, but with our roster and schedule, a large portion of them absolutely would. Or are we not allowed to use the same arguments as to why Frost was under-achieving to point out how ridiculously low that expectation is? I know I'm being extreme for affect, but winning 4 of the next 7 isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. And I also don't think that not winning 4 of the next 7 necessarily makes MJ disqualified as a candidate. I just think it's crazy to say, if he gets us to a bowl, he should be our coach...or if he doesn't, he shouldn't be our coach.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Maybe not over half the coaches, but with our roster and schedule, a large portion of them absolutely would. Or are we not allowed to use the same arguments as to why Frost was under-achieving to point out how ridiculously low that expectation is? I know I'm being extreme for affect, but winning 4 of the next 7 isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.

Oh boy.  So, you're only going to be satisfied this year if Joseph wins the conference?  Dude, this team was a mess with already two bad losses under their belts.  Georgia Southern beat us and they are sitting at 5th in their division....in the Sun Belt.  Let that sink in.  Joseph then took over the team with only one week to prepare for a tough rivalry game.  Then, won the next game.  Now, he can try to build on that.  Winning 5 more games would be a massive turnaround for this team and Joseph. 

I get so tired of "oh boy have we lowered our expectations".  It's stupid to expect anything else.  Absolutely nobody is saying just making it to a bowl game is the long term goal that the coach needs to strive for.  But, fans have realistic goals for the rest of the season when compared to what the team was when he took over.  

I would agree that this team has more talent on it than just making it to a bowl game.  But, that's not the only thing affecting the outcome of this season.  5 of our last 7 games are against programs that have beat us regularly recently.  If he turns around and wins 4-5 of those.....that should be looked at as impressive.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
17 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Maybe not over half the coaches, but with our roster and schedule, a large portion of them absolutely would. Or are we not allowed to use the same arguments as to why Frost was under-achieving to point out how ridiculously low that expectation is? I know I'm being extreme for affect, but winning 4 of the next 7 isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. And I also don't think that not winning 4 of the next 7 necessarily makes MJ disqualified as a candidate. I just think it's crazy to say, if he gets us to a bowl, he should be our coach...or if he doesn't, he shouldn't be our coach.

It isn't crazy at all.  Wins are the measuring stick by which all coaches are evaluated.  Last year is a great example imo.  Nebraska was actually a pretty dang good team last year.  It didn't matter in the end that we had a bunch of close losses and looked like the better team against eventual top 10 opponents because at the end of the day, we lost those games.  If MJ can figure out how to win 4 of the next 7 to get us to a bowl game, he deserves a shot to build on that in 2023.    

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
18 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

He was voted the 2nd most underrated coach in the country in a poll of head coaches the year before we hired him. 

He was underrated for a career .500 coach, big wow. Dude, had one good season out of his last five, look up the records. He was a north-of-60 coach obviously past his prime. Dude was not a hot coaching-search name when we hired him, thus a bunch of fans had to google who he even was. 

• TBH 1