Who should our next HC be?

10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Why do you say this?

Realistically looking at the landscape, I think its the best match for both parties:

• He's well respected in the coaching ranks.  Both saban and belichik were gunning for his services, this has to mean something to someone like Trev
  • Guys known as a grinder 
  • He's meticulous AF when it comes to running a progrum.  He's polishing his already impressive track run at PSU under saban.
  • His network and who he's crossed paths with puts him above 95% of the other candidates mentioned.  I think Trev is going to key in on this for staff build out purposes.  Today's game u need the HC to be the CEO and have legit staff around u to win consistently.  When comparing what BOB brings to the table on this vs other candidates, I'm hard pressed to find a candidate that would surpass the potential.
  • Knows the big10
  • He knows the NFL and can sell his time at PSU along with NFL to recruits
  • He's realistic- he's gonna be a HC again. He's not a HC right now.  He doesnt strike me as someone who is gonna do the OC path for years on end.  
  • I think the label of him wanting an NFL job is not really based in anything.  If you do some research, him leaving psu had way more to do with a s#!tty relationship with the AD then it did on him leaving on his own.
  • Trev doesn't can frosty this early if he doesnt intend on making a hire immediately following the reg season wrapping.  This makes getting a coach at a HC level already a lot tougher
  • As much as i'd be pumped about Rhule, i dont see him coming here.  I think him taking a year off and waiting for another job is much more likely.
  • Campbell is losing steam nor does it seem like he wants to come here
  • Arranda isnt leaving Baylor to come here
  • Leipold probably the most likely but I'd argue if you cover the name on the resume I think I'd prefer BOB
  • Wisconsin has a list of guys before they'd go after O'b... perhaps the only school i could see him ranking ahead of us is the Auburn job.
  • CP isnt leaving the northwest, Lane isnt realistic, we wont poach bielema from illinois, Luke F isnt leaving cinci for here, wittingham is a utah guy thru and thru, Gary patterson might be a solid hire but his ending at TCU didnt seem to be the prettiest exit. 
  • Trev knows he needs to get this right.  With B'OB i think u get the guy with the highest floor (worst case scenario) yet still runway for a high ceiling.  All of the other realistic candidates to me, have a lower floor and i dont see someone with a crazy higher potential unless its an Urban.

I get it, its not the sexiest name or face (lol) out there but this progrum needs a whole new foundation, its not a plug n play job.  Trev needs a pro that can do damage control.  

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, talaricohusker said:

It’s MJ job to lose. I believe he’s the coach come Nov. most certainly if we go 6-6 and get to a bowl game 

There is about a 4% chance we get to 6 and 6.  I will be impressed if we win one more game and if Thompson is still upright and playing come mid November. 

• Fire 2
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, husker009 said:

I just think now is the time for this program to make an elite hire. This is a point in time where the job is very attractive due to all the buzz around the new Big 10 media rights, NIL being introduced, and the facility upgrades. The program gave up an extra $7.5 million to let Frost go two weeks earlier. Money is obviously not an object for NU. If they hire a Matt Campbell or Bill O'Brien, Trev is telling the fans that NU is not serious about being elite again.

Agree with all of that. I just don't think that means we have to hire Urban. The two are not mutually exclusive. And I don't think Trev will after hearing him list "someone of great character" first on his wishlist.

5 minutes ago, husker009 said:

I just think now is the time for this program to make an elite hire. This is a point in time where the job is very attractive due to all the buzz around the new Big 10 media rights, NIL being introduced, and the facility upgrades. The program gave up an extra $7.5 million to let Frost go two weeks earlier. Money is obviously not an object for NU. If they hire a Matt Campbell or Bill O'Brien, Trev is telling the fans that NU is not serious about being elite again. Hiring someone like Urban would be NU telling the fans that they are serious about being elite. Sometimes when it comes to winning, certain incidents have to be ignored. 

Easier said than done.  I would love urban to be the guy, i want excellence, but i think if this was even remotely realistic we would have seen more traction and even an annoucnement so he can get ahead of recruiting as much as possible.  

Who outside of urban qualifies as elite to you or is it 1 guy and 1 guy only trev could hire that would appease the fans?

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

He was good at PSU. He was good with the Texans.  Why do you think this?

5 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Realistically looking at the landscape, I think its the best match for both parties:

• He's well respected in the coaching ranks.  Both saban and belichik were gunning for his services, this has to mean something to someone like Trev
  • He's meticulous AF when it comes to running a progrum.  He's polishing his already impressive track run at PSU under saban.
  • His network and who he's crossed paths with puts him above 95% of the other candidates mentioned.  I think Trev is going to key in on this for staff build out purposes.  Today's game u need the HC to be the CEO and have legit staff around u to win consistently.  When comparing what BOB brings to the table on this vs other candidates, I'm hard pressed to find a candidate that would surpass the potential.
  • Knows the big10
  • He's realistic- he's gonna be a HC again. He's not a HC right now.  He doesnt strike me as someone who is gonna do the OC path for years on end.  
  • I think the label of him wanting an NFL job is not really based in anything.  If you do some research, him leaving psu had way more to do with a s#!tty relationship with the AD then it did on him leaving on his own.
  • Trev doesn't can frosty this early if he doesnt intend on making a hire immediately following the reg season wrapping.  This makes getting a coach at a HC level already a lot tougher
  • As much as i'd be pumped about Rhule, i dont see him coming here.  I think him taking a year off and waiting for another job is much more likely.
  • Leipold probably the most likely but I'd argue if you cover the name on the resume I think I'd prefer BOB
  • Wisconsin has a list of guys before they'd go after O'b... perhaps the only school i could see him ranking ahead of us is the Auburn job.
  • CP isnt leaving the northwest, Lane isnt realistic, we wont poach bielema from illinois, Luke F isnt leaving cinci for here, wittingham is a utah guy thru and thru, Gary patterson might be a solid hire but his ending at TCU didnt seem to be the prettiest exit. 
  • Trev knows he needs to get this right.  With B'OB i think u get the guy with the highest floor (worst case scenario) yet still runway for a high ceiling.  All of the other realistic candidates to me, have a lower floor and i dont see someone with a crazy higher potential unless its an Urban.

I get it, its not the sexiest name or face (lol) out there but this progrum needs a whole new foundation, its not a plug n play job.  Trev needs a pro that can do damage control.  

Every single Alabama fan I've ever met or heard from on the internet thinks he's the weakest part of Saban's staff and can't wait to get rid of him. Most say it with a lot of conviction. Meh.

4 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Easier said than done.  I would love urban to be the guy, i want excellence, but i think if this was even remotely realistic we would have seen more traction and even an annoucnement so he can get ahead of recruiting as much as possible.  

Who outside of urban qualifies as elite to you or is it 1 guy and 1 guy only trev could hire that would appease the fans?

Chris Petersen or Aranda. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Trev doesn't can frosty this early if he doesnt intend on making a hire immediately following the reg season wrapping.  This makes getting a coach at a HC level already a lot tougher

Trev flat out said the availability of the coach isn't going to be a factor. Said it would be nice if we could get them early, but he's not making that big of a decision based on that.

1 hour ago, LennynSquiggy said:

Scout leaders try to teach young boys how to behave properly, among other things. Football coaches try to teach their charges how to act like responsible young men and make the right choices, among other things. I don't see much difference in that regard but YMMV.

Dont you think alot of this ended when coaches started getting paid millions of dollars to fail and kids started to get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to perform/not perform in college athletics.  Its a business now, there are demands for your job which this is.  Soooooooo, yea this isnt the cub scouts, this is krispy cream and we want our donuts b!^@hes.  Its for someone else to decide how that gets made, i just want my donuts and coffee 

3 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Every single Alabama fan I've ever met or heard from on the internet thinks he's the weakest part of Saban's staff and can't wait to get rid of him. Most say it with a lot of conviction. Meh.

That to me sounds more like uneducated fans having a wrong take than anything based on fact.  Bama's defense and special teams this year has been piss poor relative to past bama squads, not sure how you can pin that on O B.  The bama offense is literally ranked top 5 and top 10 in a lot of key offensive areas, (Yards per play, yards per game, scoring, etc.)

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

4 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Alabama fans are spoiled rotten. Look how we are after our success in the 90s, fricken 30 years ago. We still think we are elite. Bama fans just need something to complain about. Bob would be a fine choice. If we don’t get him, someone else will, and I bet he is successful there. Not saying he’s my first choice, but I’m definitely not going to go based on bama fans, they live in a different reality.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Trev flat out said the availability of the coach isn't going to be a factor. Said it would be nice if we could get them early, but he's not making that big of a decision based on that.

You can read between the lines on that.  He can easily be referencing a coordinator at a playoff bound team that might still be tied to another school.  Given how coaching searches are handled these days and the amount of time we've had, I would be shocked if it isnt lined up in the next few weeks and then announcement made Sat/Sun after we beatdown iowa

5 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Dont you think alot of this ended when coaches started getting paid millions of dollars to fail and kids started to get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to perform/not perform in college athletics.  Its a business now, there are demands for your job which this is.  Soooooooo, yea this isnt the cub scouts, this is krispy cream and we want our donuts b!^@hes.  Its for someone else to decide how that gets made, i just want my donuts and coffee 

Stepping out on your spouse/significant other shows a lack of character (and a total disregard for their well being). When you lack character how are you supposed to teach the kids/young men in your charge?

Again, YMMV.

18 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

• Knows the big10

Good points.   I agree that he isn't the 'sexiest ' name on the list but I think wt all of his connections, he should be able to build a great staff.  With his NFL experience he should be a good manager of what a college football team is now looking like with NIL and the transfer portal now a part of the game. He'd have to have some splash hires at OC and DC to get the attention of recruits - not sure how good of a recruiter he would be since he's been out of the college game for so many years up to the time at Bama.

14 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I am not clamoring for BOB, but he is a good coach. I think they should be discussing their defense instead of their offense. Their offense has looked just fine this season, but that defense has not.