Who should our next HC be?

27 minutes ago, HANC said:

As much as it looks good now, hindsight is 20/20. Husker nation would have revolted if we hire Bert after his 4-8 season at Arky or a 5-7 record at Illinois. SF still had support this year, let alone 2 years ago. 

A lot of recency bias with the BB love. He's had more average-crappy seasons than great ones. 

• TBH 1

33 minutes ago, HANC said:

As much as it looks good now, hindsight is 20/20. Husker nation would have revolted if we hire Bert after his 4-8 season at Arky or a 5-7 record at Illinois. SF still had support this year, let alone 2 years ago. 

We had him basically hired in 2014.  Then it fell apart for some reason.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

A lot of recency bias with the BB love. He's had more average-crappy seasons than great ones. 

His time at Arkansas wasn't good, but assuming a 12 team playoff was around back then he would have made it 3 times in 7 years at Wisconsin.  I guess 4 if you count when they won the B1G after finishing 3rd in the Leaders (OSU, PSU probation) and then destroyed us.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Sipple this morning:

It’s difficult to say exactly where Nebraska athletic director Trev Alberts stands with his search for a head coach. Maybe he has one locked down. It’s very possible.

Or perhaps his search continues.

There are desirable coaches who probably wouldn’t take the Nebraska job. Luke Fickell, Bret Bielema and Mike Gundy come to mind.

I’m told Bielema is building a mansion in Champaign, Illinois, or nearby. He’s on the verge of a hefty raise at Illinois, one would think.

However, according to Huskeronline.com sources, there are at least three good candidates we feel Alberts would have a good chance of landing: Dave Doeren (N.C. State), Lance Leipold (Kansas) and Mark Stoops (Kentucky).

Urban Meyer? I’ve heard he’s keeping an open mind about coaching jobs, perhaps even Nebraska’s.

Would Alberts be interested in hiring Meyer? My (educated) guess is no.

My opinion is it would be a home run.

https://www.on3.com/teams/nebraska-cornhuskers/news/steven-sipple-josephs-backup-qb-comments-raise-questions-and-why-nebraska-may-be-a-better-job-than-auburn/

I wouldn’t underestimate what is aiming to be achieved with a commitment to having an accompanying group of high level assistants and all that it entails.

5 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

Yeah, I really want to know what went down in 2014.

I've never heard any reasoning.  But several of his staff members (assistants?) were telling the Lincoln Journal-Star that they were going to Lincoln.  Then they weren't.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I've never heard any reasoning.  But several of his staff members (assistants?) were telling the Lincoln Journal-Star that they were going to Lincoln.  Then they weren't.

My mood shift in that hour between the false announcement of Bielema and the real announcement of Riley was pretty drastic. I went from being really excited for the future to completely meh. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

What a concept! Hope our new coach will have a similar plan. It's amazing what you can do with lower ranked recruiting classes when you follow this formula.

The problem is, that formula can only get you so far. If your aspirations are to win the west and compete for the conference crown, then yes it's a successful formula. But if your goal is to actually win championships, that formula isn't going to work. 

• Thanks 2
On 10/20/2022 at 10:12 AM, Danimal said:

No link needed, just living in reality. First, Sanders just doesn't have the resume, very unlikely Trev will think he's qualfied. Dude has two seasons coaching in FCS, and we're talking the SWAC here, not even like he coaches in the Missouri Valley against the better FCS teams. Second, hiring Sanders would piss-off WAY too many people with money and power. Why did Frost get another season when it was obvious Trev didn't really believe in the move? Because folks with stroke wanted to give Frost another season. The folks that keep the program flush are more important than ever in the NIL era and Trev needs a hire that will make a lot of them happy so the money keeps flowing. Third, it would be Trev's career on the line, if he makes this risky hire and it doesn't work-out he will not get to make another one. There's too much going against the move for it to happen. 

I stand by my original question.

You proved nothing.  This is your opinion.

Prime will do well wherever he coaches.   Winners win.  Losers, well you know the deal.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

We should have fired Frost and hired Bielema a couple years ago. That ship has sailed, and he's going to turn Illinois into a West contender. The new Wisconsin.

My understanding is that Eichorst approached Bielema back in 2014 and Bielema didn't want the job that eventually went to Riley. 

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My understanding is that Eichorst approached Bielema back in 2014 and Bielema didn't want the job that eventually went to Riley. 

I was thinking circa 2020 when Frost was 12-20 and Bielema was the OLB coach for the New York Giants.

• Plus1 1

At this point every potential hire qualifies as a risky experiment. 

Can either Matt Campbell or Lance Leipold go from doing a pretty good job at their Big 12 school, to doing slightly better with Nebraska's resources in a different conference?

This is what makes science so exciting. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I was thinking circa 2020 when Frost was 12-20 and Bielema was the OLB coach for the New York Giants.

Yeah, that situation may have made Nebraska more attractive than the first go-round, but the fanbase would have absolutely s#!t its pants if Frost was fired two seasons in and during the COVID year, replaced by a coach most Husker fans genuinely didn't like.  

I forgot to include Little Rock as a destination no more desirable than Lincoln.