Dan Patrick Show: SOURCE links Urban Meyer to *POSSIBLE* upcoming head coaching vacancy at Nebraska

9 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

He also doesn't need big time recruits. His eye for talent is very good. His Temple teams took no name guys and put them into the NFL where they have become star players-Dawkins, Reddick. His 2016 offensive line was an act of God. 

The only thing I can see being an issue is he is an East Coast guy, (but that didn't stop him in Waco), and his dream job is Penn State and their dream coach is Matt Rhule. 

Its not that I don't think that Matt Rhule isn't a good coach but to me it would be a rebuild. What makes you think that it wouldn't be anything else other then? Do you think he would create enough buzz? Nebraska needs national recruits to win bc clearly walk-ons truthfully aren't getting it done. Now don't get me wrong I think Brody Belt is a solid player but you need football players like Trey Palmer to stretch the field.

5 hours ago, BoSolich said:

but if the program is serious about national championships then you have to hire urban meyer.

We're a long way from concerning ourselves with National Championship talk.  That's not remotely the standard we're prepared to hold any coach too any time in the near future, if ever again.    We're the program where missing four consecutive bowl games is no longer a fireable offense.

The idea that it's Urban or bust or anything like that is ludicrous.  Just try to find a coach who wins games.

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Stoops (Mark or Bob)

Chris Petersen

Dave Aranda

Matt Rhule

Zac Taylor

Mark Stoops makes quite a bit making/selling his bourbon in KY. Not to mention, he has very little pressure to win there, because Kentucky has traditionally been pretty bad in football. Kentucky fans are happy with 7 wins a year. I don't see Bob coming, either. Taylor has bigger fish to fry right now, trying to win Super Bowls. The only realistic one on that list is Rhule... again, just my opinion. That said, I agree that it doesn't hurt to ask. 

My list is as follows:

Urban Meyer

Matt Rhule

Bill O'Brien

Tom Herman

Matt Campbell

Troy Calhoun

Jamey Chadwell

Hugh Freeze (highly doubtful we'll even reach out to him)

Brett Bielema 

Kyle Whittingham

Chris Klieman

Dan Mullen

Kendall Briles

Ed Orgeron (I personally wouldn't want him as HC, but possibly DC for his recruiting ability)

20 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Its not that I don't think that Matt Rhule isn't a good coach but to me it would be a rebuild. What makes you think that it wouldn't be anything else other then? Do you think he would create enough buzz? Nebraska needs national recruits to win bc clearly walk-ons truthfully aren't getting it done. Now don't get me wrong I think Brody Belt is a solid player but you need football players like Trey Palmer to stretch the field.

That's the thing. It is a rebuild. 

• Plus1 1

Reach for urban and work your way down.  National championship is a long way away if ever but winning 8-10 games a year is not out of the question and honestly being in the big 10 is a great goal to have.   It is going to take a. Big name proven coach to bring in good players, good assistants and bring back the fans.   Oh yah and actually coach a game without stupid mistakes each week.    Urban is the best guy to do that.  Pay him 10 million a year and have him bring it in heir apparent like O’Brien and pay that guy 8 million a year.  The money is at Nebraska.  Use it to get back on track and more money will come.  

5 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

That's the thing. It is a rebuild. 

No it can't be!!!! This has to stop. Nebraska with this hire has to go get a established coach that will immediately win and certain coaches will and are capable of doing that. Scott wasn't one, Riley wasn't, Bo wasn't, Callahan wasn't and look how far Nebraska has fallen. We got beat by a Sun Belt team. No way that would ever happen if we had a established winning head coach here. I don't think Nebraska is necessarily the problem anymore its the coaching. Nebraska could and should have the best coaches and assistant coaches that money can get you but we haven't done that and winning has taking a back seat. Nebraska needs to go say we have no limits on how much you the head coach wants to pay for your assistant coaches no limit pool. Instead of trying selling what Nebraska has to offer go ask the coach what we can do for him to succeed and make it happen.

What about Lance Leipold who is at KU? All the guy has done is win and he has KU looking like an actual football team in just his 2nd year. I’d rather have Urbs or Bob Stoops but I’m not positive it’ll happen. We need a guy who doesn’t need big time talent to win a lot of games if we want a coach who’ll start to win early and actually develop the talent Nebraska brings in

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

No it can't be!!!! This has to stop. Nebraska with this hire has to go get a established coach that will immediately win and certain coaches will and are capable of doing that. Scott wasn't one, Riley wasn't, Bo wasn't, Callahan wasn't and look how far Nebraska has fallen. We got beat by a Sun Belt team. No way that would ever happen if we had a established winning head coach here. I don't think Nebraska is necessarily the problem anymore its the coaching. Nebraska could and should have the best coaches and assistant coaches that money can get you but we haven't done that and winning has taking a back seat. Nebraska needs to go say we have no limits on how much you the head coach wants to pay for your assistant coaches no limit pool. Instead of trying selling what Nebraska has to offer go ask the coach what we can do for him to succeed and make it happen.

I get what you are saying, but they did that. Frost was the hottest name they hired him. Whipple is the type of guy you are talking about. 

All of these players are likely gone when Frost gets let go. A name like a Urban will want his own guys anyway. A rebuild is OK and doesn't have to be as painful as Frost made us think it had to be. 

22 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

I get what you are saying, but they did that. Frost was the hottest name they hired him. Whipple is the type of guy you are talking about. 

All of these players are likely gone when Frost gets let go. A name like a Urban will want his own guys anyway. A rebuild is OK and doesn't have to be as painful as Frost made us think it had to be. 

Not necessarily. Mickey Joseph as a wr coach is outstanding. Bryan Applewhite isn't bad either. The next coach does have pieces to work with.

5 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

They are likely all gone, too. Aren't their contracts tied to the HC? 

The assistant coaches have their own contracts with the University, but any new head coach should have the right to bring in any and all of his own assistants. Trev can make recommendations on current assistants, but Trev shouldn’t dictate that certain assistants need to stay. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

They are likely all gone, too. Aren't their contracts tied to the HC? 

Might but who knows usually coaches keep great coaches on. You don't need to retool everything. Mickey Joseph name resonates with national wr recruits. You do have the right to bring in your own guys but smart coaches don't fix what doesn't need to be fixed often.