*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Kinda refreshing we aren't talking about "culture" or "buy-in" all the time this season under Rhule.  It seemed like every week for Frost's first couple years there were comments from Frost or a players about who who was in or out.

And from reading some stuff about Wisconsin this week it sounds like 2018-19 Nebraska with a lot of talk about "not enough guys have bought-in yet".

Wisconsin players, alumni, and fans are also going with the 2004 Nebraska talk of “we have gone away from our identity and that’s why we’re losing” talk that permeated back then. 

• Oh Yeah! 2

10 hours ago, Red Five said:

Kinda refreshing we aren't talking about "culture" or "buy-in" all the time this season under Rhule.  It seemed like every week for Frost's first couple years there were comments from Frost or a players about who who was in or out.

Have you missed all of the "one of us" stuff from Rhule? :dunno

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Toe said:

Have you missed all of the "one of us" stuff from Rhule? :dunno

I think, could be wrong, but think Frost explicitly said in PCs that players weren't buying in enough for him? Rhule says "we'll see who's one of us!" or whatever in speeches but I so far have missed if he stood in front of the press saying "wait until I've got MY players!"

• Plus1 2
On 11/18/2023 at 12:01 PM, HuskersNC949597 said:

I think, could be wrong, but think Frost explicitly said in PCs that players weren't buying in enough for him? Rhule says "we'll see who's one of us!" or whatever in speeches but I so far have missed if he stood in front of the press saying "wait until I've got MY players!"

Rhule seems to be lifting his players up a bit more than Frost who sent them to the hospital during the first training camp

1 hour ago, 3gunhusker said:

this thread was opened exactly one year ago today...telling.

Things have been crappy for so long, it's difficult to keep things in perspective. 

1 year ago, not two, three or four. Many of us had high expectations for his season, we were dealt a number of injuries on offense and the quarterback chosen played terribly below what was anticipated. Our ceiling was around six wins and we could've won one more and didn't.

If we beat Michigan St. we're bowl bound. All it tells us is that we're far from being as competitive as we want to be. Yet there were times we were so close to winning...That's what makes it so incredibly frustrating. We can't rely on only IF this, that or something else would've happened or not happened we would've won. That's like making excuses. All the team can do is continue to improve and, I think they will. Plus, we've got to do well addressing our needs and filling them. 

15 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Things have been crappy for so long, it's difficult to keep things in perspective. 

1 year ago, not two, three or four. Many of us had high expectations for his season, we were dealt a number of injuries on offense and the quarterback chosen played terribly below what was anticipated. Our ceiling was around six wins and we could've won one more and didn't.

If we beat Michigan St. we're bowl bound. All it tells us is that we're far from being as competitive as we want to be. Yet there were times we were so close to winning...That's what makes it so incredibly frustrating. We can't rely on only IF this, that or something else would've happened or not happened we would've won. That's like making excuses. All the team can do is continue to improve and, I think they will. Plus, we've got to do well addressing our needs and filling them. 

good thing this should be one of the tougher schedules we have in a long while ... oh wait... i don't think people appreciate what an epic failure it was not to win six with this pathetic schedule. make all the excuses you want, but coaching cost us at least 3 wins of not more. a wasted year, and worse, a waste of the best opportunity we'll ever have to get some real momentum. hopefully they don't whiff on QB again and waste next year as well. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
  • Mavric unpinned this topic

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

https://www.on3.com/news/2023-report-card-year-1-grades-for-every-power-5-head-coach-including-deion-sanders-matt-rhule-and-hugh-freeze/ Matt Rhule got a grade of C+ for his first year while Deion Sanders got a solid B.  I understand we ended up at 5-7 while Deion Sanders ended up at 4-8 that doesn't make sense to me.

It makes sense if you aren’t looking at things from a Husker fans perspective.

Ruhle didn’t improve the number of wins.  Deion did.  And Deion did it at Colorado, a really bad team the last few years.

• Haha 1