If Mickey isn't on the new coaching staff we riot at dawn

knapplc

5 minutes ago, sho said:

From what I’ve been told, he doesn’t trust Rhule based on how Rhule treated Joe Brady.  Of course Mickey is only getting Brady’s version of what happened.  

Here is the NFL.com article from Brady being fired by Rhule. The NFL is a ruthless business. Not sure what Mickey and Busch expected Rhule to do differently. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-hc-matt-rhule-decision-to-fire-oc-joe-brady-purely-football-related

3 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Mickey isn't a head coach......yet.  I think it'd be best for all parties if they were able to work something out, but if it doesn't oh well.

Rhule needs to run this the way he wants to run it.  The fix this team needs is far bigger than anything Mickey can help with.

At the risk of sounding like a douche, I don't care what Crick or any other former player thinks about this situation.  We haven't been to a bowl in 6 years.  We haven't been relevant in two decades.  Give your twitter accounts a rest.

The former players like having “one of their own” in the head coaching job or even in the staff, because that may give them a closer connection to the current team. I understand some of them won’t agree with the decision, especially the black players wanting a black coach at NU. Unfortunately, they are letting emotion cloud their judgment and opinions.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Here is the NFL.com article from Brady being fired by Rhule. The NFL is a ruthless business. Not sure what Mickey and Busch expected Rhule to do differently. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-hc-matt-rhule-decision-to-fire-oc-joe-brady-purely-football-related

No kidding. Score points or don’t get paid.

It didn’t really work out for Rhule in the end though. 

• Plus1 1

AND the rumor mill slides to a new topic…

I feel that Mickey & Busch are huge assets, but they would mean that Rhule replaces a couple of people in whatever assistant crew he feels responsible for & already values.

He would also have to be a pretty secure guy, because (just like the No. 2 QB is the fan’s most popular player when No. 1 is struggling) there will be a lot of fans hoping Mickey can grow into the HC gig. I believe Mickey knows how to defer to the HC, however hard that might be - if he is truly a fan of Nebraska and doesn’t feel he was screwed over by Trev & this process.

In a perfect world, Rhule keeps both of those guys, but I think if anybody has been paying attention they will see that both the of those guys are great hires anywhere.

If they go, I also fear how many players they make take with them.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And that’s entirely possible. That’s why it’s important to think about this coaching hire in the long term, and let Rhule make the decisions which he thinks is best for the program. 

As much as I truly hope that MJ is here… we aren’t sure of what “type” of system on both sides of ball and what “type” of player Rhule wants. Before we panic about who may leave, we may want to see how well they may fit. Studs are studs regardless, but all year long I have read at nauseam about how his team has too many MAC and AAC caliber players.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The former players like having “one of their own” in the head coaching job or even in the staff, because that may give them a closer connection to the current team. I understand some of them won’t agree with the decision, especially the black players wanting a black coach at NU. Unfortunately, they are letting emotion cloud their judgment and opinions.  

Do you have this same view toward Omaha recruiting?.......

4 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

AND the rumor mill slides to a new topic…

I feel that Mickey & Busch are huge assets, but they would mean that Rhule replaces a couple of people in whatever assistant crew he feels responsible for & already values.

He would also have to be a pretty secure guy, because (just like the No. 2 QB is the fan’s most popular player when No. 1 is struggling) there will be a lot of fans hoping Mickey can grow into the HC gig. I believe Mickey knows how to defer to the HC, however hard that might be - if he is truly a fan of Nebraska and doesn’t feel he was screwed over by Trev & this process.

In a perfect world, Rhule keeps both of those guys, but I think if anybody has been paying attention they will see that both the of those guys are great hires anywhere.

If they go, I also fear how many players they make take with them.

In regards to guys leaving, I get that.  BUT we are not going bowling for the 6th straight year.  Our only offensive threat in Palmer just announced he's out.  So we are worried about guys who have yet to win, or who have yet to playa down?  If guys are only playing for one guy and not the "N" on the side of their helmet, then it's probably best for all parties to move on.  That was a lot of the drama in Frost's first 1-2 years...His guys vs my guys....

Looking at 247 recruiter rankings, MJ had one top 25 year in 2020.  Held has been ranked top 25 twice while at NU as has Fisher (once)...  I do not follow recruiting, but just the past few years it doesn't look like he has been a top guy year in and year out.  Maybe he is is an Ace recruiter, but we might also have that Husker soft spot that we need a NU guy on staff because "they get it"....

We might be at the part of the story where we just cut ties with anything that was touched by or tainted by Frost.  Just a complete do over.

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Do you have this same view toward Omaha recruiting?.......

If they give Rhule a chance, who knows??? He obviously takes recruiting and relationship building seriously. I will be shocked if he doesn’t embrace the Omaha metro. HS in Texas love him, maybe Omaha will too if they keep an ope

n mind

• TBH 1