** 2023 Opponent Preview : Colorado (Game 2) **

TGHusker

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

They do.  But TCU wasn't exactly a good defensive team last year.  Not sure they were even "bad".  Pretty poor really.  #95 in the country.  And they lost a ton.

I figured Colorado would have the two best athletes on the field in Hunter and Sanders.  I didn't realize Hunter was going to play offense as well.  Will be interesting to see how many plays he gets in next week at altitude.

I don't think Colorado's defense is all that great outside of Hunter and Sanders.  And their front seven definitely seems to be the weak part of a bad defense - TCU averaged 7.1 yards per carry.  So hopefully we can play some keep-away.

Because it's going to be hard to contain their offense.  They didn't run the ball a lot so our base being a 3-3-5 puts the right kind of guys out there.  But they've got two excellent weapons for Sanders to throw to and Horn was no slouch either.  We were on the short list for Dylan Edwards before Notre Dame came in and then Deion went to Colorado and stole him from Notre Dame.  He's a problem.  We absolutely will have to tackle in space.  

Just to add on TCU.  Dugan balled out on several games they should have lost in 2022.

I’ll admit I was surprised with how good CU looked.  I was way more surprised with how bad TCU was.  I had to go back and look at last year.  Getting to the natty game covered up a lot.  

Im actually excited for CU.  I think it’s gonna be a good game.

All that I'll say about putting stock into Week 1 results is this...

In 2016, preseason #10 Notre Dame went into Austin to face an unranked Texas. You know the game? It's the famous "Texas is BACK!" game which Joe Tessitore boldly proclaimed after Texas scored a TD in 2OT to win, 50-47. Texas surged to #11 the following week. Notre Dame finished the year 4-8. Texas finished that year 5-7. Neither team made a bowl. Ironically, Nebraska did make a bowl that year. 

The point is...our expectations for how a season will go is way too influenced by the results of the first game. Right now, it is equally likely that both TCU and Colorado aren't great than it is that TCU and Colorado are both great. We just don't know until we have more information. 

That said, Colorado is definitely more talented than they were last year and the year before. They have great talent at the skill positions: Sanders, Edwards, Hunter, Horn. But I am not convinced by either line. And I'm not convinced they will hold up in a physical game, if we are able to bring that to them. We cannot allow the game to become a track meet. 

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 4
36 minutes ago, LostMyPassword said:

All that I'll say about putting stock into Week 1 results is this...

In 2016, preseason #10 Notre Dame went into Austin to face an unranked Texas. You know the game? It's the famous "Texas is BACK!" game which Joe Tessitore boldly proclaimed after Texas scored a TD in 2OT to win, 50-47. Texas surged to #11 the following week. Notre Dame finished the year 4-8. Texas finished that year 5-7. Neither team made a bowl. Ironically, Nebraska did make a bowl that year. 

The point is...our expectations for how a season will go is way too influenced by the results of the first game. Right now, it is equally likely that both TCU and Colorado aren't great than it is that TCU and Colorado are both great. We just don't know until we have more information. 

That said, Colorado is definitely more talented than they were last year and the year before. They have great talent at the skill positions: Sanders, Edwards, Hunter, Horn. But I am not convinced by either line. And I'm not convinced they will hold up in a physical game, if we are able to bring that to them. We cannot allow the game to become a track meet. 

They certainly didn't seem rattled when getting down or losing momentum.  We seem to fold every game if/when that happens, from the Staff to the players.

They play with little fear and zero concern by what others think.  This looseness worries me.  I don't see us winning this game.

• TBH 3
25 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

They certainly didn't seem rattled when getting down or losing momentum.  We seem to fold every game if/when that happens, from the Staff to the players.

They play with little fear and zero concern by what others think.  This looseness worries me.  I don't see us winning this game.

I dont think our staff got rattled against Minnesota when their backs were against the wall. They attempted to stay within themselves and their scheme, the team was driving, and then Sims threw a pick that killed the game. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
20 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I dont think our staff got rattled against Minnesota when their backs were against the wall. They attempted to stay within themselves and their scheme, the team was driving, and then Sims threw a pick that killed the game. 

The fumble killed it. Guess it’s tomato/tamato debate 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Gorillahawk said:

How is touting Husker Power and "dominant contact," being a run-first physical team...and then throwing the ball three straight times for a three-and-out, when winning, an attempt to stay within themselves?  How is playing Grant, notably loose with the ball, who then fumbles, staying within themselves?

I'm not seeing it.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3
23 minutes ago, Sker fer life said:

This part right here might be what has been a big issue with recent nebraska teams. 

Rhule was really tight. ever y in-game frame he was licking his dry mouth.  Nerves first game?  Very understandable.  I think the guys also press thinking it's on them to restore Husker glory.  

Tight play.

• Plus1 2

I am under the weather, cranky, irritated at watching the Huskers look like they should carve “Rinse and Repeat” into the stone to memorialize their underwhelming program’s longer than recent history, and then seeing Colorado (with Coach $&@! Time).  As if there was not enough reasons to hate Colorado, at least they had been dormant.  

I really don’t care if my post might be repetitive because frankly I am too tired and lazy to read 40 pages on this thread.  For everything holy, keep this close and punch them in the mouth…at the very least. Please!  We don’t ask for much these days!!!

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, BigRedRig said:

I am under the weather, cranky, irritated at watching the Huskers look like they should carve “Rinse and Repeat” into the stone to memorialize their underwhelming program’s longer than recent history, and then seeing Colorado (with Coach $&@! Time).  As if there was not enough reasons to hate Colorado, at least they had been dormant.  

I really don’t care if my post might be repetitive because frankly I am too tired and lazy to read 40 pages on this thread.  For everything holy, keep this close and punch them in the mouth…at the very least. Please!  We don’t ask for much these days!!!

That’s the problem the fan base needs to start demanding more. These people get paid millions of dollars and we’re supposed to believe in a process that puts kade Warner on the field. The fans don’t hold these people accountable and they’ve been selling the same dream. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Against TCU, Colorado had a pretty good mix of being in standard 11 man where the wideouts were way out wide, four men wide, and some 2 back sets sprinkled in.

New year/new coaching staff, but where our defense has really gotten rekt in more recent years is against true spread teams. I predict Colorado puts up 28-30 points.

Thing is, how many conference opponents will we face that run that kind of offense? It's kind of a game that maybe didn't matter that much, but since we dropped the game to Minnesota it all of a sudden matters way more to making a bowl game.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedRig said:

You sound beat down and dejected. 

I'd like to present an analogy. Suppose that there is an inscription on a stone. Or, even blemishes on a quality piece of lumber. Those impressions aren't easily removed. They're embedded distortions representing limited potential. It's going to require some diligence clear those away. Similarly, the structure of soil can be enhanced over time, over seasons. Would it be absurd to suggest that that's comparable to our situation?

The challenge is that there's a variety of contributing factors that have been limiting our success, causes. We are charged with remedying each of them.

Suppose that I am talking to one of your loved ones. You don't want me feeding them anything that isn't in their interest and, if you do your're going to be mighty upset with me. You have every right to come after me as you should if I were to. They're backs are up against the wall and their days are filled with challenges. You don't need some s#!thead coming along bringing any more pain to their doorstep. 

It occurred to me once while sharpening a blade that how I leaned into the stone determined how well it was honed. The optimum angle and pressure. If you've done sharpening yourself you completely understand what I'm getting at. Would you object to me telling someone dear to you to lean into what they're confronted? It could even be criticism that they're facing. I'd ask them to be patient with themselves. To tune out anyone that doesn't have anything that doesn't have anything to contribute to them succeeding, to seek reliable answers and, make the most rational choices possible.

As for your team, why  do we have to endure rinsing and rinsing only to get the same type of results! It isn't particularly convincing or reassuring when we see some of the very same things again and again. It's exhausting. 

Playing a weaker or dormant team and winning would certainly give our confidence a boost though would it make improve our abilities and competitiveness as a team? That's a false sense of hope. There's limited opportunity for growth. It takes both skillful sharpening and  exceptional metal and, diligence. An ironsmith can only work with the metals he's got therefore a cutler must acquire it, apply his workmanship to deliver true craftsmanship. All the metal and prior work left a legacy. The product is fashioned over time. 

It's important, critical really that the messages that we are telling ourselves do not work in opposition to what our aims are. What are essentially lies. When you or I flub up, does it do us any good to beat up on ourselves and each other? That just etches another dastardly misrepresentation of what we want to achieve. And, we lie to ourselves saying that nothing can be done. There is no hope. Just give in to it all. Feelings are real though oftentimes not true and they can be villainous thieves.

It's frustrating. It's like offering a sword to someone to obliterate their enemies only have them strike at rock blunting it, even snapping the thing into two and then more misery ensuing. 

Many others feel likewise! You're not alone. Let's lean in to that adversity though, let acceptance be our ally. With heavy lifting, the results we are desirous will come. Really we have to bust stone apart, grind away and combine it with organic matter. Are there any inscriptions left? Essentially were there any to begin with! Eventually it yields the wins we want as a consequence.

You/re a winner friend whether you know it yet or not. That is what we're up against. There's always a choice. To inhibit or facilitate growth and, how well we negotiate through the blind spots in our field of vision will determine the outcomes we want. 

• Thanks 1