Any chance the Tanner Lee story isn't 100 percent true?

tmfr15

3 hours ago, skersfan said:

Also, never said he was awesome, NFL level or anything of the type.  Want to see him play before I make my mind up on him  But of course some on this site know far more about football than me.  Just seems like it would be nice not question the ability until it is either proven or disproven.

Well Im not questioning his ability. I haven't seen him play a single down of football in a game for Nebraska. I do think there are some people who are expecting a bit too much from him though. I hope he exceeds all our expectations but I'm pretty sure that isn't humanly possible given some of the hype we've seen. And yeah, there also seems to be some fans that want to expect the worst. Welcome to Huskerboard where opinions vary.

3 hours ago, skersfan said:

Nothing odd about it, typical of this site and this group of fans. 

What does this mean?

There is no "group think" on this site when it comes to football. There are people at the extreme opposite ends of the spectrum and most are in the rational and realistic middle. Not sure what you mean when you say "typical of this site and this group of fans". I'd be very leery of any site where apparently all the opinions are the same. Does that place even exist?

• Plus1 5
4 hours ago, skersfan said:

Also, never said he was awesome, NFL level or anything of the type.  Want to see him play before I make my mind up on him  But of course some on this site know far more about football than me.  Just seems like it would be nice not question the ability until it is either proven or disproven.

You're being illogical.

The topic was obviously made due to the huge amount of hype surrounding Lee. This poster is tempering his/her expectations, wondering if it could be true. Nobody in this topic has made up their mind. There is nothing weird or wrong with wondering about it.

• Plus1 3

Far too much negativism on this board.  There is every reason to be positive at this point.   The morale of the players appears to be excellent  The reports (that's all we ever have to go on as we don't coach ) are quite positive and encouraging.  Why not be up beat and look forward to another exciting season.  ???   One can say that being a downer is good because then you don't let yourself get disappointed if things don't go perfectly every time.  But this just puts a cloud over every ray of sunshine.

I encourage all to listen, watch and enjoy themselves a healthy helping of Husker football and see what happens.  We will have lots more to talk about and debate and discuss and probably argue plus and minus for a full week until we get to do it again.  Let's all cheer loudly and proudly fo Dear old NU.   As much as the pundits and talking heads want to talk about the QBs skills and star ratings, football still comes down to two basic things:   blocking and tackling and QBs rarely do either one.  The team that wants to win the most and blocks and tackles the best wins at a very high percentage rate.   

• Plus1 2

I'll wait and see what Lee brings to the table. 

I thought we had our next qb ready to take over this year in O'Brien. I remember another coach who probably had the qb in waiting and went out and got Keller with Ganz left sitting. Only time will tell how good Lee will be. 

Time for football, lets get behind Lee and hope for a great year.

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1

Let us not feel like the wheels fell off if after the first half the score is close.  After watching OSU and Wisc the last 2 nights,  even lower division teams have good players that want a notch on their belt.  They aren't coming to Lincoln for a check and a handshake afterwards.  I'm trusting our coaches and players to get it rolling.

• Plus1 2

I think most of the concerns in OP are valid, but won't be stymied (or re-enforced) until we see what happens with this season. One note about recruiting:

18 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

We were also told that Riley would recruit great. Look at Penn State's current class. That's recruiting great. We have been backpedaling for sometime with this current class and we are out of the top 40. Coach Riley  has yet to have that knockout class.

Obviously, a lot goes into recruiting, but I think Nebraska's record will likely have an impact on recruiting, for better or worse. A 5-7 type season likely won't do anyone a lot of favors, but if they can get to 10-11 wins, that's a big boost and shows confidence in the program's direction.

The thing is, we're getting inter-rater reliability and being told to be cautious by the OC. It's not just talk out of Nebraska that Lee can be the real deal. It's coming from scouts and outsiders. Now, it's possible that he's just a workout warrior. There are tons of guys that look good in workouts and can't turn it into anything on the field. However, it's a sign of confidence that he was voted a captain by his peers. I absolutely question what he can do in game situations in front of 90k people. We all should. I also think we can be cautiously optimistic.

Which brings be to the second comment I made to start this post. The staff knows the hype is getting big. We do need to pump the brakes. Even if Lee is as great as he's said to be, it's a team sport. We have no idea how all the pieces fit right now. So yes, the Lee hype might just be that. We need reasons to get excited about the team always. Your not going to ever have a season where the team and media say yeah everything sucks. We as fans need to take that in context and recognize that there's done truth and some urban legend that goes into that. 

With regards to this board, I think we as a culture could stand to not get stuck in being black or white about things. Lee may not be a Heisman contender. However, he might turn into a guy like Josh Allen who keeps everything moving. When we talk about him being overhyped we forget that it's possible or likely he's going to do some things really well that we're not used to seeing.