Memorial Stadium Renovation

1 hour ago, BoSolich said:

are you serious? i was at a nebraska minnesota basketball game a couple years ago that was 1/3 full

Every home game against Minnesota has been a sellout since at least the 2015-2016 season which didn't have the attendance numbers on the Huskers site. So maybe you're thinking of something else

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

I still am struggling to understand why these renovations are necessary right now. Unless they aren’t telling us something about structural integrity - which is definitely possible - why are we shelling out $450m to decrease stadium size and lower potential ticket income?

Again, if the money exists, why the heck aren’t we putting it towards staff and talent to improve on-field performance? What’s gonna keep people going to games and the sellout streak alive? Winning games and getting back to being a competitor to win the conference. 

Also to announce this before approval and before an absolute slacking doesn’t make sense to me either.

5 minutes ago, corncraze said:

I still am struggling to understand why these renovations are necessary right now.

Also to announce this before approval and before an absolute slacking doesn’t make sense to me either.

Conjecture mode on:

Money talks.  The boosters can't hold up the "sell outs" any more and have been grumbling about doing so for years now.  This sizing down to 70 some thousand fans is closer to the real sell outs.   Calling it "renovation" is not a lie, but it is a nice piece of PR from Master PR Man Trev Alberts.  There's of course more to it but that's the kernel of it. 

13 minutes ago, corncraze said:

I still am struggling to understand why these renovations are necessary right now. Unless they aren’t telling us something about structural integrity - which is definitely possible - why are we shelling out $450m to decrease stadium size and lower potential ticket income?

Again, if the money exists, why the heck aren’t we putting it towards staff and talent to improve on-field performance? What’s gonna keep people going to games and the sellout streak alive? Winning games and getting back to being a competitor to win the conference. 

You have to compete to get people to show up.  Product on the field is part of it.  But a lot of it is sitting on a bench seat in the elements where it takes 20 minutes to go to the bathroom or get a snack versus sitting on your couch in front of a big-screen TV with a bunch of beer in the fridge.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3
2 hours ago, Hagg said:

Conjecture mode on:

Money talks.  The boosters can't hold up the "sell outs" any more and have been grumbling about doing so for years now.  This sizing down to 70 some thousand fans is closer to the real sell outs.   Calling it "renovation" is not a lie, but it is a nice piece of PR from Master PR Man Trev Alberts.  There's of course more to it but that's the kernel of it. 

we won't be able to sell out 70k seats at the rate things are heading. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, corncraze said:

why are we shelling out $450m to decrease stadium size and lower potential ticket income?

Even if the "normie" ticket prices don't move at all this does nothing other than increase ticket income.

1. Less capacity = more demand

2. A better experience = more demand

3. Most importantly, there are going to be more luxury boxes and suites that have a high sticker price.

• Plus1 1