What did we learn

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The Buffs aren't Minnesota on defense. This is the type of game you want your new offense to warm up with. 

That's exactly what I was thinking as well. I think there's a decent chance we can "Wisconsin" the Buffs with these big sets and grind down the field with Ervin & Sims running the ball.

54 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Do we? You are assuming we don't score without int prone Sims which is a huge assumption. We would have been in a better position without 3 of our 4 turnovers being committed and I will absolutely die on that hill. How can you say otherwise? Seriously? We are better off throwing 3 picks? That is a ridiculous take man.

I was responding to a post that said we'd win easily if Sims isn't in there to throw 3 picks. Sims had 117 yards rushing (65% of our 181 yards rushing) and 114 passing, which was 78% of our 295 yards of total offense.

I'm not arguing that 3 picks isn't bad but rather that there isn't an easy solution like just putting a backup QB in there.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I was responding to a post that said we'd win easily if Sims isn't in there to throw 3 picks. Sims had 117 yards rushing (65% of our 181 yards rushing) and 114 passing, which was 78% of our 295 yards of total offense.

I'm not arguing that 3 picks isn't bad but rather that there isn't an easy solution like just putting a backup QB in there.

Never said a backup was the answer just that no turnovers and we win easily which I ended up backtracking and saying we would be in a much better position to win. Any of the backups could have also turned it over 3 times so it's all hypothetical but we need somebody who can go a game without turning it over.

My least favorite Nebraska offense of the last 60 years was the Jammal Lord offense of 2002-2003, even if we'd take that W/L record today. This game suggests that we have little choice but to run the same offense this year. That's what makes me most sad. I honestly don't think Gabe Irvin getting 10 of Jeff Sims 19 carries makes a lick of difference.

I did like the halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball -- we suddenly looked like the better team with the better attitude. We've already forgotten, but in the fourth quarter even the announcers thought Nebraska was just 8 minutes away from getting Matt Rhule's first win. We definitely did some right things against a team that by any measure should have been better than us.

But we found a way to lose --- and Nebraska is actually getting famous for that. I guess that's pretty sad, too. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My least favorite Nebraska offense of the last 60 years was the Jammal Lord offense of 2002-2003, even if we'd take that W/L record today. This game suggests that we have little choice but to run the same offense this year. That's what makes me most sad. I honestly don't think Gabe Irvin getting 10 of Jeff Sims 19 carries makes a lick of difference.

I did like the halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball -- we suddenly looked like the better team with the better attitude. We've already forgotten, but in the fourth quarter even the announcers thought Nebraska was just 8 minutes away from getting Matt Rhule's first win. We definitely did some right things against a team that by any measure should have been better than us.

But we found a way to lose --- and Nebraska is actually getting famous for that. I guess that's pretty sad, too. 

2009 offense was sickening to watch as well lol

So...all summer leading up to this game, the majority of Huskerboarders, sportswriters, bookies, and everyone else predicted that Nebraska would likely lose this game. Most predicted that we would have trouble scoring points. Most predicted that it would take some time to clean up the turnover problems that have plagued us for years. We all know what Rhule's year 1 has looked like. Most predicted that, despite losing to Minnesota, we would still be bowl eligible at the end of the season. 

So now that the game went almost exactly as most people predicted, the sky is falling? After all we have seen the past few years, you babies should have a thicker shell than this. 

I think the problem is, we've seen this same game dozens of times under Riley and Frost, and they never were able to fix it. Maybe Rhule can, or maybe not, but it's too soon to tell. I don't think that anything in the last 24 hours should have changed our expectations or predictions, and look, the next 3 games are very winnable.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I said as much last night.  Sims reminded me of JLo 2.0 (for the record one of my fave Huskers).  If this is what we have, then we will need to really build the offense around a wild cat QB.  PA passing, roll him out, 2 back sets, run some traps/draws etc...Bringing Frank back was a start.  Now let's bring him on as an adviser to that 2003 offense that got us to a  10-3 record (I'd take the 7-7 2002 record TBH).  

5 minutes ago, Ulty said:

So...all summer leading up to this game, the majority of Huskerboarders, sportswriters, bookies, and everyone else predicted that Nebraska would likely lose this game. Most predicted that we would have trouble scoring points. Most predicted that it would take some time to clean up the turnover problems that have plagued us for years. We all know what Rhule's year 1 has looked like. Most predicted that, despite losing to Minnesota, we would still be bowl eligible at the end of the season. 

So now that the game went almost exactly as most people predicted, the sky is falling? After all we have seen the past few years, you babies should have a thicker shell than this. 

I think the problem is, we've seen this same game dozens of times under Riley and Frost, and they never were able to fix it. Maybe Rhule can, or maybe not, but it's too soon to tell. I don't think that anything in the last 24 hours should have changed our expectations or predictions, and look, the next 3 games are very winnable.

Honestly, the problem for me, was that we did look better than I was expecting. I got flutters of hope seeing our line run block just well enough, a half back bounce of a tackler, the qb step up into a pocket to buy an extra half second, a defense hold down the fort on multiple drives into our territory. But then it all ended up where I thought it would anyway. 

I have hope, but it will be a long road to get there. Also, I think the defense actually looked really good. We made adjustments and used substitutions to stall a set of mismatches. It is used against us all the time in the last decade, but I don’t remember the last time Nebraska has used the rules to take back a glaring mismatch.

I’m gonna stay positive. The defense looked great once they decided to pressure the QB. The special teams were outstanding, almost won the game for us. We need to find ways to get Alvano more touches. The kick returners were awesome, let’s get the ball in their hands. I know we weren’t playing the Vikings, but those guys showed up ready to play.

22 minutes ago, Ulty said:

The line was -7.5 for Minnesota at game time if I'm not mistaken, and I think a lot of pundits had both teams scoring more points. Thicker shell? Agree with that. But for me the game was much more winnable than I thought it was going to be heading into it.

Where I'm really disappointed is looking at 11 more games in yet another season with a pretty one-dimensional QB - and having it seem like this staff went out of their way to make Sims QB1.

I understand that the staff has to wipe the slate clean and start over with "their guys," but the dual threat guy who really isn't actually a threat with his arm thing is something I can just barely stomach anymore. It just only works when your offensive line is decent (a la the Bo years).

5 minutes ago, Ulty said:

All good points. The thing is.....if Nebraska had played Minnesota close the first half while scoring a couple touchdowns, say 14-14, and then Minnesota slowly pulled away in the second half to win 28-17, we'd all be embracing that narrative.

But we ended up watching a game where Nebraska clearly had enough talent and game-planning to beat Minnesota -- sloppy as it was -- and the fact that it was Rhule and not Frost or Riley should have made a difference in the last-second collapse department. That wasn't too much to ask of a new coach. 

The sky isn't falling, but it's not exactly a sunny Friday morning, either. As mentioned, there were things to like in that game. Everyone gets a shot at redemption, but I wanted Jeff Sims to make me forget Casey Thompson and that didn't happen.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1