Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

15 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

we all know what the point was...  I quoted it to show YOU didnt....  You just don't want to admit you were wrong...  but its okay....  I know your kind, that's why I conceded long ago...  I choose not to wallow

People who understand football and nuance might make the case that while Rhule said Grant needed to work on ball control, Rhule simply believed Gabe Ervin had the better camp and wanted to promote him over last year's leading rusher. In game experience, Grant lost one fumble in 236 touches last season. 

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

People who understand football and nuance might make the case that while Rhule said Grant needed to work on ball control, Rhule simply believed Gabe Ervin had the better camp and wanted to promote him over last year's leading rusher. In game experience, Grant lost one fumble in 236 touches last season

Agreed...  with that being said and the fact coming into this year grant was the presumed leader, a drop to #3 with the comments of "grant needs to work on ball control" and "if you cant handle the ball you cant play on this team" would insinuate he dropped because of that issue particularly...  But that wasn't the discussion at hand..  it stemmed more from some opinion that a QB should have different criteria than an RB when it comes to play time due to fumbles (or mistakes in general)..  in general yes...  the QB handles the ball more often and has many more variables but when it is as egregious as Sims's issues have been (7 in 2 games) it is and was warranted...  

Sorry @Lorewarn for being a communist...!!! again..!!  :o

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

People who understand football and nuance might make the case that while Rhule said Grant needed to work on ball control, Rhule simply believed Gabe Ervin had the better camp and wanted to promote him over last year's leading rusher. In game experience, Grant lost one fumble in 236 touches last season. 

I thought the discussion was that he danced too much and was having a hard time learning where a play/run was supposed to insert.  I am not sure where everyone latched onto the fumbling issue so hard.

8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I thought the discussion was that he danced too much and was having a hard time learning where a play/run was supposed to insert.  I am not sure where everyone latched onto the fumbling issue so hard.

It was with a few minutes left in the Minnesota game, along with Rhule mentioning fumbles being a problem leading up to the game. But yeah, the always trying to bounce things and coaches commenting on him needing to understand where to go have been issues for a longer period of time. In a limited sample so far, I feel like he's done a better job staying north and south than he did late last year. And just the way he runs is pretty special.  

This is a bad example of getting north/south, but no other RB we have makes this cut, or finishes quite like that. And his TD run (17:14 in the video) had some great patience. I'm not super concerned about the fumbling moving forward - it's just the depth that is now totally gone.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
6 hours ago, runningblind said:

After the game, Matt Rhule seemingly called out one of their players for making a crucial mistake, per HuskerExtra. The Nebraska football coach said that RB1 Anthony Grant had ball security issues, and urged the player to protect the football better.

“In the scrimmage he fumbled the football. He's fumbled it a couple times. We know that Anthony can make a ton of plays. He has to protect the football.”

Link

I'm pretty sure he also said something similar in fall camp but can't find it right now.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Link

I'm pretty sure he also said something similar in fall camp but can't find it right now.

He wanted to emphasize the importance of ball security and was holding Anthony accountable. It's a consistent message for the whole team to play to a standard. And possibly an acknowledgement to fans how securing the ball is important given how costly turnovers are. He also had some complementary words. I wouldn't characterize what was said as being thrown under the bus. 

This would not effect the 2023 squad (since none of these guys would probably be ready yet) but it is amazing how we botched QB recruiting in last years class.  Frost allowed Whipple to choose his hand picked guy (when everyone knew Whipple wasn't going to be around for more than 2 year) and bypassed multiple local guys (Flores, Johnson, Kienholz) that maybe had a better chance of sticking with the coaching change.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This would not effect the 2023 squad (since none of these guys would probably be ready yet) but it is amazing how we botched QB recruiting in last years class.  Frost allowed Whipple to choose his hand picked guy (when everyone knew Whipple wasn't going to be around for more than 2 year) and bypassed multiple local guys (Flores, Johnson, Kienholz) that maybe had a better chance of sticking with the coaching change.

Flores would be great to have around right about now. 

On 9/19/2023 at 11:12 PM, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

When will Sims be be 100 percent with catching snaps

How many has he dropped this season?