Sims vs HH

ndobney

21 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Rhule's decision to go back to Sims given the 3 games we have seen this seen is mind boggling and has lowered my confidence in Rhule.  NIU is quite a bit better than LA Tech so Sims will need to help the team win by at least 30 points.

Personally, I don't think there's a huge difference between NIU and LA Tech in terms of what it means in the greater scheme of the QB situation. Nebraska "should" beat both teams by three or four scores. Whether HH or JF starts, I'll be looking more at how they command the offense and lead drives vs. what the actual point differential is.

I would hold steady on your confidence in Rhule though, and perhaps I can even offer a different perspective. I think what you're seeing right now is a balance of coach speak, but also him wanting to support his players and give them opportunities to prove themselves. Sims earned the job and a lot of respect from his teammates in the pre-season, so it's something Rhule has to navigate very carefully with the players so that he doesn't shake their trust and confidence in the process. What's happening and being evaluated behind closed doors may not necessarily be exactly what he's telling all of us.

And if Sims does start, all we can do is really trust that Rhule thinks it's what's best for the team and that Sims had a good week of practice. My only hope is that if Sims continues to struggle though, the decision to sit him is instantaneous.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

4 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

If Sims starts Rhule is an idiot! Sims is a turnover machine and can't pass accurately and fumble prone Grant is now our RB1. :facepalm:

It only depends on his health.  If he is healthy, he starts, I don't think that is even a question in Rhule's mind.

11 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

HH starts at QB, Sim at RB, HH remains QB, occasionally we shift formations and Sims becomes wildcat qb that can run a pop pass if its there, we could also run an option pass and a halfback pass if the staff feels comfortable and Simms wants the opportunity to toss the ball once in a while. Unless Simms is blind to his own faults he's realized he's not an NFL QB and should be willing to try new roles to see how he could potentially make an NFL roster. Better QBs than Simms have had to change positions to play in the NFL.

I think you underestimate the confidence it takes to be a D1 or higher athlete.  Most of these guys believe inside they can do it, and won't volunteer to switch positions.  That is the exception, and not the rule.  Eric Crouch could have had a long NFL career as a WR/punt returner type but he didn't want to do that.  Luke McCaffery could have been great for us at WR but it took 3 transfers and several years to convince him he couldn't play QB. On and on. 

• TBH 2
5 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

If Sims starts, I'd be real interested in seeing if they run the same offense they ran this past weekend with Haarberg. 

I agree. From what I could tell, the offense and play calling wasn't all that different for HH compared to Dims.

To my eye, HH was a little more apt to run the ball on RPO plays and he did a better job of throwing shorter, easier completions to our TEs, especially  Fidone who doesn't get looked at by Sims. Sims seems more willing to push the ball downfield, although this is to the detriment of the team. 

I think Satterfield is getting more comfortable calling plays that benefit his QBs. He's starting to realize the receivers aren't that great, but he's still prone to not being able to get out of his own way. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I agree. From what I could tell, the offense and play calling wasn't all that different for HH compared to Dims.

To my eye, HH was a little more apt to run the ball on RPO plays and he did a better job of throwing shorter, easier completions to our TEs, especially  Fidone who doesn't get looked at by Sims. Sims seems more willing to push the ball downfield, although this is to the detriment of the team. 

I think Satterfield is getting more comfortable calling plays that benefit his QBs. He's starting to realize the receivers aren't that great, but he's still prone to not being able to get out of his own way. 

It's actually fairly even in terms of stats: Sims has 4 more passing attempts and 9 more rushing attempts. I haven't broken film down by any means to be able to determine how many of those runs are designed vs. scrambles, but to the naked eye, it seems like more of Haarberg's rushing attempts are designed. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

It's basically going to be a game time decision, according to Rhule. We probably won't know for certain until they release the roster two hours before kick off.

This seems like the type of game to get both of them some action and see if Sims can get on track to lead sustained drives and have a turnover free outing.  It also would reward HH for giving the team a competent QB outing last game and see if he progresses after his first real extended game time experience. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

This seems like the type of game to get both of them some action and see if Sims can get on track to lead sustained drives and have a turnover free outing.  It also would reward HH for giving the team a competent QB outing last game and see if he progresses after his first real extended game time experience. 

Good point.  There is a lot to be said for just getting some confidence.  

• Oh Yeah! 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I like this approach.  As was mentioned before, we will likely need both of them, and maybe Purdy, to get through the season.

As far as the starter goes, I do not have strong leanings with either Sims or Haarberg.  As stated by others, Sims will get the starter job when he's "healthy," and to me that does not necessarily mean when he's truly fit, as in when he's lost his bad habits we've all seen and cringed over.  But having said that I do get the feeling Sims is bothered enough by seeing film of his interceptions and fumbles that he's dead serious as to taking care of it next chance he gets and beyond as Coach Rhule seems to believe himself. 

I just like knowing we do have Haarberg, as starter or backup to Sims.  He performed well at home against Northern Ill.

34 minutes ago, teachercd said:

One way to look at it...any run HH had is probably twice as long with Sims running it.

With that said, HH looked pretty good at throwing the ball

If he could throw it further than 20 yards down field without it being a game of 500, I'd be much more comfortable with him starting. 

• Haha 3
  • TBH 2